What's the best introduction to the Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DestronGenerals, Oct 22, 2006.

1. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about it because of my girlfriend, but whats the best way to be exposed? I was watching MTMTE the other night and it's not really the greatest (very, very pilot-y), the movie just starts in the middle of everything, the beginning of Beast Wars doesn't do much justice for the later parts of the series, and any other series I would not be so inclined to show anyone (eventhough I enjoy them myself).

So what's the best way to get into the Transformers?

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have her watch the first season of G1. Then try some Beast Wars.

3. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i've tried for some time but it just ain't working for me
    if u find something that works let me know..........

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    U agree Season 1, 2, the Movie and Beast Wars - season 2 and 3 really rocked IMO.

5. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

I've known a few girls that were surprisingly receptive to Beast Wars. Could be because it is relatively non-violent, and the characters have lot of depth. I'd try a few episodes of that and see what happens. Start off by showing her a few figures of assorted lines, and then have her watch the beginning of Beast Wars. It's fairly self-contained and doesn't make many assumptions of previous transformer experience.

Of course explain things as you go as well, but I think this would be the easiest method.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    RID may be ok. Some of the characters are funny and dare I say cute?
    BW was good because it made sense, but nothing is better than the first 3 eps of gen 1.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Unless she's already likes things in the geek world, I wouldn't even bother. Sad, but true.

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Depends. If she likes some live action sci-fi try Beast Wars. If not, just start with your favorite TF show or some of your favorite episodes.

9. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

This is very true. Is your girlfriend the type who still geeks out over stuff? There's no point in trying to get her interested unless she still has all her My Little Ponies and Rainbow Brite stuff, basically.

Myself, I think the movie is a great way to start. It exemplifies everything that was actually good about G1, and the cheesiness, while still there, is much easier to swallow, and hopefully even enjoy, because of the whole "cult classic" feel of it. I showed the movie to a friend of mine (not a girlfriend, but she's a girl) who had no previous transformers experience and she absolutely loved it for the characters, cheesy dialogue and 80s soundtrack, and great animation.

From that point on I would definitely recommend getting her into Beast Wars, and letting her explore G1 on her own if she wants to. G1 is hard to show to people who didn't love it as a kid because it's just so goofy so often. And I wouldn't even bother with Unicron trilogy stuff, and I never even saw RID so I don't know what to say about that.

10. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    the best was is to not "SHOW" it to her. going "you have to watch this!" isn't as encouraging as you might think.

if you're just hanging out, just play a few episodes. pick and choose which ones you really like. Don't think for a second about sequences or continuity. if she asks some questions about who the characters are or what they're doing, thats your cue to offer a short explaination or grab the disc with the episode that properly introduces the character she likes.

Whatever you do, don't try to geek out and force an opinion. If for some reason she ends up liking Rodimus Prime or Wheelie, let her. Don't tell her they suck, because now she has a favorite transformer and she'll be more inclined to keep watching or ask more questions.

any good friend or significant other tries to take an interest in what you take in interest in and you can do the same. She might just be ready to share Transformers with you when you show you're willing to do something with her that she likes. and if you don't really like it: well then you know why she doesn't like Transformers.

I like "The Spark" from season 1 of Beast Wars as its a pretty good episode on its own but also lays out that Transformers are NOT JUST ROBOTS but living beings. This may have been many years after G1, but its an important idea to hold on to if someone is going to think of any Transformer as a character with flaws and stregnths and not just a machine going through what it was programmed to be and programmed to do. This episode also co-incidentally introduces Airrazor, which also subtlely shows Transformers isn't just a boys club.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah...sad but true...I had similar experiences.

12. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    I have a wife, I don't even bother. And I already know that my wife won't see the movie, and I'm definitely ok with that.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Ugh. No. As a child of the eighties I can't hardly sit through those first three episodes of G1. The first episode is pretty decent. The second episode begins to drag. By the time you hit the third episode you want to pull your eyeballs out if only to prevent you from ever having to watch it again. It just gets really, really slow and and repititious. Fight, scene, fight, scene, fight, scene. No real story development in the second and third episodes, and what's there isn't enough to make up for the horrible, HORRIBLE animation. I think my favorite bit is the scene where there's a battle going on and all the bots are just standing in one place with their arms going back and forth for several seconds. PAINFUL.

For myself, my wife was introduced to Transformers by seeing a few episodes of Beast Wars while I was watching them and she was working on other things. They were background noise to her, but she happened to pick up on a story element here or there. A few days later she was asking me about Waspinator. Next thing I know she's going, "That's just Prime" to about half of the stuff that went wrong in the house and laying big kisses on me and saying, "Yesssssss." Which was a little creepy, but funny as hell.

At some point we sat out on a quest to watch all the G1 continuity shows, right from the beginning. We watched the first three episodes, and then she didn't want to watch anything else for months. Those things are NOT a good introduction. I told her it gets better, but that she could ask when she was ready for more. She wasn't ready for more until she happened upon me watching some more Beast Wars. Then we went back and started from episode four of G1 and we're now getting ready to start season three of Beast Wars.

She likes Beast Wars MUCH better than G1, but she did enjoy some of G1. My wife is now a G1 Starscream fangirl of the highest possible order. She stole my MP03 fer gosh-sakes.

But I definitely wouldn't TARGET trying to introduce a non-interested SO in the shows. Just wait. If you spend much time together, eventually she'll see an episode you're watching. If it catches her interest, good enough.

If that doesn't work, and you're still together in a few years, hit her over the head with God Ginrai. That's a good introduction to Transformers too.

(DISCLAIMER: Nightflame holds no responsibility for anyone dumb enough to follow that advice. Nor will Nightflame cover hospital stays and other assorted medical expenses incurred by following that advice. Nor will Nightflame provide marriage/relationship conselling to anyone who follows that advice.)

14. Cloud Strife

that's probebly your best bet, let her get interested in her own way

15. Cloud Strife

oops sorry, didn't mean to reply twice

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    hearing that makes me sad...my fiance isnt a huge dork like i am, but shes got her little things shes goofy about about...she bought me BW season 1, and may sit down with me someday, and she does attempt to TF the toys on occasion as well but to just not even bother trying to show her something i love would just be so sad...and she'll be at the midnight showing of the new movie, if for nothing else to support me and watch my reaction to the movie...and when i get the original movie on DVD in 2 weeks, she will probably sit down with me as well, just to watch me watch it...and enjoy it because i do...

but i say listen to shipley, seems theres some good advice to be had there...

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Have sexual intercourse while both of you are wearing the Energon Optimus Prime Roleplay Costume and use the Armada Roleplay swords as paddles while "recording" it all with Armada Laserbeak. Do it.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:lol  Sounds like a plan

19. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    BW S2 worked for me. Silverbolt etc are fun.

20. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

My wife got indoctrinated by MTMTE just fine, and she likes both G1 and Beast Wars. Didn't seem too keen on the RiD-Cybertron stuff, though.