What's the appeal of Alternators?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bro The Jackal, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

I hear alot of people like them but I've only bought one(Smokescreen) & I've transformed him maybe 2 times, tops. I really dislike alot of the robot modes because some are basically the same. The only other alternators I may consider getting are Wheeljack, Rodimus, Prime.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

granted, the subarus and rx-8s basically have the same transformation scheme and make up 6 different figures, but it's once you start getting one of each type, especially the unique ones, like the scion, s2000, and the ford gt that their strengths show. complexity of transformation, high poseability, and detailed alt modes are the reasons for their appeal.

3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Having all of the vehicles licensed by the manufacturer is a big plus that drew me to this line. Instead of having a close resemblance to some car(s), you now have an official Corvette or RX 8 that turns into a highly articulated robot. Alternators is a good line to get into if you haven't already.

4. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Just the fact that we have a TF line which used real cars as its models is amazing. I wouldnt base my collection around the Alternators, but I would pick up a few that represented the G1 autobots like Jazz, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Smokescreen, and Rodimus Prime.

I was going to sell my Classics Rodimus but once I got his Alt version I decided to call one Hot Rod and the other RP. That car should not, under any circumstances, be burdened with a trailer. It's too damn pretty. :) 

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I'm not much of a car fan so the whole Alternator/Binaltech line really didn't appeal to me.

6. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Just about everything.

-Realistic car alt modes: With little exception all of the cars are realistic production/race cars. Even the decals on the Scion are actual factory style add ons.
    -Complexity: I love the fact that these are complex enough to challenge and adult. They are like Rubik's cubes, but way cooler. For me it feels like the toy has evolved with me.
    -Fantastic engineering: As I said these are complex, but the engineers were able still able to make a working bot without compromising either mode IMO. Also every mold shows part of the car in robot mode, which is something as a G1 fan really appeals to me. Even the weapons are beautifully integrated.
    -Fanwank homages: It like G1 evolved with a total car theme.
    -BT companion line: Allows me to have die-cast models of almost every mold. It also allowed for import only pieces/domestic only pieces that kept the collector in me happy. Not to mention that I love die-cast. It is like a Chogokin (super alloy) Transformer line.
    -Articulation: You can pose thee guys to set your collection apart from fellow nerds. Not to mention battle scenes etc.
    -They are fun and challenging to customize.
    -Scale: They are big, but not too big. The size they are in makes them pop, and demand attention- Attention they deserve IMO. Out of all the lines I've had on display my Alt/BT's have warranted the most amount of positive comments from normal people.

To me it is as close to perfect line of bots ever. They address almost all of my likes as a toy collector.

7. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I hate cars, but still appreciate that these are coming from a real world perspective. I think that's why I am drawn to the Real Gears as well.

I guess Alt's showed me the potential that this brand has, and really raised the bar. Most of the mainlines to me still feel like toys, but the Alt's feel like something more.

8. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For me, the alternators line actually got me back into transformers. How cool is it that there is a toy of your car that transforms? Freakin A!! So i bought it and lo and behold, I'm here...

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like them for:

Nostalgia (G1 bitches!:D )

Uniqueness (bear in mind, I only buy one of each mold (Rodimus was an exception))

Complexity (actually what got me to love the movie designs)

Characters (Nemesis Prime and Skidz are my favorites, fan favorites like Jazz and Rodimus are also present)

Detail (honestly can't tell most of them apart from real model cars)

Poseability (especialy the latter molds like Mirage and Skids)

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Realistic car modes,
    Excellent poseablity
    Hands that move
    They are all in the same scale. This is some thing that is a constant issue in many other lines.
    The earlier figures were dead on modern versions of G1 characters(something many fans were waiting years complaining on message boards for) And even afterwards the figures still tried to be close to their G1roots.
    They go decently well with the Mp line.
    They were geared to an older audience. Many of which grew up with G1.
    They have set the bar on detail and articulation and enginering higher than any previous line

Basically this was the line that for years was the fabled dream line that many fans were told they would never get.

11. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

fact

Well, it is the fact that they are the best Transformer line ever, not saying toy, but aside from the Masterpiece line, they are the most realistic both to real world detail and toon accurate-ish heads.

I think the draw for me was the novelty at first it was something new, but then I think subconsciously I also felt "cool" buying the fancy cars, that we are supposed to be geared to love from birth as alpha males in our society.

I love the Subaru mold my self, I only am missing Smokescreen, I bought the 2 pack ages ago with him and Sideswipe, but sold the Smokescreen.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Greatest Transformer Line ever. Nuff said.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    heh, I remember back when we first saw smokescreen and noticed that he had a detailed interior in car mode, we were all stunned and confused about how he could possibly transform.

line changed the way we thought about transformations forever.

14. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, I'm a car guy and I just so happen to like robots too....

It's the best of both worlds for me...as a kid I would build model cars and such....always prefferred the 1:24 scale over the 1:25 scale kits...don't know why....so with Alts, its like I'm getting three toys in one....yes three, a toy car, a toy robot, and a model kit...what more could I ask for?...

As others have said, Alternators is THE BEST line Transformers has EVER HAD!!

And something SQ7 said to me one day while we were talking.....it DID NOT have a cartoon show supporting it....now if that doesn't say that the line had some strong roots/staying power to it...nothing does....

All Hail Alternators!!

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    People are bitching there need to be more MPs... OPEN YOUR EYES. ALTS ARE THE MPs...

16. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

Then why is there an Alt Prime & MP Prime?

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well, there needs to be more Alts too. And this time Hasbro needs to make the Alts available for people to buy, at places like stores... rather than from scalpers on ebay.

That said, the Alternator line to me is the defining transformers line. Very detailed and realistic looking cars that Transform into equally detailed robots with modern, yet G1 style bodies. Its what the recent (warning: opinion!!:)  train wreck, piece of crap, live action movie should have looked like.

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    One has die-cast.

19. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Like most, it was the realistic vehical modes, when they are on my desk at work my coworkers think they are models.. they have no idea they are.......................................ROBOTS IN DISGUISE... :D 

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like 'em, but personally I think they're overrated. The early ones are great but the line really shit on itself at the end (with the exception of Mirage, which is all kinds of awesomeness)