What's so good about Transtech?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Macross7, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It has come up a few times, people asking for Transtech or thinking anything from it will be awesome. What exactly is in Transtech that is so good. As far as I know the only thing that we know about it is a few sketches of potential toys. Other than being after BM, is anything known about the story? Do people want it just because we didn't get it?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It was different, fresh, surreal in a good way and most importantly it was going to bring back the G1 characters into the G1/BW/BM continuity. The designs were alien, bizzare and for the most part fantastical. It was a radically different move for TFs. Nowadays it's not that big a departure, especially with the movies which are very much a "grounded" Transtech, and G1 characters have since made a tremendous comeback, but people, like myself, still would love to see the designs in toy form or used in fiction.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is pretty much it. After beast wars, people were excited to see something that was more mechanical again, rather than organic. And before the movies, especially at the point where transtech was supposed to come out, we had seen nothing like transtech. It was like someone took the style of beast machines, turned it up to 11, and mixed in a pot filled with anime, gieger, g1, and a whole pile of other influences. I think at the end of the day, a lot of fans want to see how that would have turned out, as all we've had to go on for years has been a handful of concept art that may or may not have fit together in the first place. We've seen transtech pop up as an influence in so many different places from armada to generations, and I think people always remember transtech as the series that never was, and they want to see it become real.

4. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Transtech Depth Charge would have made an awesome figure.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    While a cartoon would certainly be feasable, but I don't think they can pull off the toys.

They couldn't pull of Beast Machines hardly, and I hope they can pull off PRIME decently.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ugh, I couldn't find much at all to like about those concepts. Best thing about Transtech is that it was cancelled.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    At least two of the designs got to the prototyping stage, and from the pictures I've seen of them, I think they would have worked perfectly. I still think they should make another attempt at the Starscream figure (too bad the one they made was "lost"). Though I have to admit, some of the designs would have been incredibly difficult to work out in toy-form (Shockwave comes to mind), but I think most of them would have been doable. Especially Prime and megs.

8. kukuzoo

kukuzoo Member

from what i know a studio called "universe?" or something took what they knew of the cancelled transtech series and put together a comic publication following a city called axiom nexus in which cheetor and depth charge are in charge of security. The city brings transformers from different eras together (lame) and transtechs are considered the more evolved.

Tbh i think it is a dumb idea for a story, and would have much rather seen a transtech story from mainframe ent.

Its been 10 years and transformers hasnt come with an original tv series... Prime looks liek they took the movie and animated and stuck it in a blender.... sad...

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Original TV series? Isn't TF inherently original?

How many other cartoons with transforming alien robots are there?

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I think the nostalgia of G1 was still in the hearts of us that hadn't seen it since being kids. BW wetted our appetites. With Transtech being in the same continuity as BW, and BW being the same as G1, we looked forward to the return of the old characters as well as vehicle forms.

When we found out it was cancelled in order to give us RID, and the start of the "multi-continuity" cartoons, we were sad. Up until this point, everything was still G1. I think RID did at least quench the "realistic vehicle mode" thirst we had.

So I think the biggest thing is the "what could have been" aspect. Not so much just seeing what it would have been like, but seeing where we'd be now had everything stayed in one continuity.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most people's love for TransTech is almost wholly in retrospect. Sure, some people liked the look of it, but the majority was still down on Beast Machines and techno-organics at the time, and TransTech did NOT look set to return things to any semblance of "normal" (Optimus Prime was actually a monkey-truck!). If we'd got it, people would just have continued all the crying they did during Beast Machines. Nowadays, our horizons for design and what Transformers can "be" and look like are substantially broader, but personally, I still put most of the pining for TransTech down to wanting what you can't have.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan either. I'm fine, especially given . . . .

CR/RiD made me happy. Cool toys, fun cartoon, happy Quad7 :) 

(emphasis = SQ7) I really think that after hearing and reading much about many fans wanting TransTech, I think that sums it up pretty well. Granted, I'd like to have seen some of the toys, but like Beast Machines, it would have been very much a pick and choose kinda line. I think we'd have gotten some gems, and the story may (or may not?) have been good . . . but that's hard to say now.

That being said, I really like the status quo of the TRANSFORMERS brand and its direction [for the most part]. If Hasbro decided to ever go the TransTech route, I certainly wouldn't mind it, though. I think it would be a good transition-type of fiction/toyline to Beast Wars[ish] Transformers, if Hasbro decided to go that direction. I don't see it happening though.

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am glad Hasbro went with CR/RID. Between Beast Machines, and Transformers Animorphs (which was on about the same time), I really had gotten tired of the Beasts. Besides, it was so cool having Optimus Prime as a firetruck in those dark days of 2001. I also had sorely missed the Autobots and the Decepticons.

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Anyone know if ANY of the Transtech designs were released as figures in later lines or at least with their influence contributing to the final product?

That Transtech Prime certainly evokes WFC Prime in many respects...

15. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I wasn't a big fan of all those transtech designs that were posted on the internet. they didn't look like they'd transfer over into decent toy designs that'd i'd like seeing.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Pretty much this. Some people have elevated the status and Transtech difference and originality in their minds so much that even if it did come out now they'd probably be disappointed in the results. Maybe not right away, but probably soon after. A bit like meeting your heroes and then finding the real thing is far lesser than what you've built them up to be in your mind.
    We've had some elements of Transtech now in BayFormers design and the occasional mold for Optimus in WFC and perhaps a bit in War Within. I think that because of that if we got Transtech now then a lot of the stuff that made it different and 'special' has already been taken by other lines.

Personally I was never much into those Transtech designs. Some felt a step too far away from what I prefer Transformers to be.

Transtech's time has long since passed.

17. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Some of the designs were used in the Unicron Trilogy.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Armada Megatron is heavily influenced by a potential Transtech design for him, as is Animated Blurr (by Transtech Cheetor).

19. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

As well as Armada Scavenger and Energon Landmine.

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Gobots, Voltron, Robotech...