Customs: Whats people's stance on making more than one of a custom?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TonyzCustomz, Mar 13, 2009.

1. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I frequently get asked about remaking customs that i have done before and I usually decline them unless they are noticeably different(colors or details). The Galvatrons figures that I do are different as they are model kits so I am just speaking customs in general. Sometimes I feel like if I do it again I am devaluing the first one I made and then I really dont like putting up a gallery if its the same thing over again. But that's just how i feel, I wanna know others opinions.

What does everyone think?

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

IMO, i dont think there's anything wrong with it at all. If i make something that was really fun to make, i dont mind making another one, and another if need be. and when selling them, i like the idea of giving more people the chance of owning the custom. I look at customs, as the dreams we all had as kids. And now, the dreams are a reallity, and are for sale :)  I sure wish I had ptitvite's devastator when i was a kid, instead of that falling apart, ugly green thing, that we all fell in love with.

just my 2 cents

3. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if i sold customs, i'd have no problem doing the same one for multiple customers. if someone liked something so much when it was made for someone else and now they want it exactly like that, i'd give it to them

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Whether or not you're doing a repeat custom for commission, I think it's a great way to undo whatever mistakes you made the first time around or to do something better than you had previously. I don't think it devalues the first custom at all since you still gained the knowledge and experience from making it, something that just can't be taken away.

So no, I don't see anything wrong with repeating a custom. You learned the first time around and can now better apply it to make what could likely be a better product in the end. And getting paid for it is just the whipped cream cheese on the cinnamon bun.

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

there is no devalue you would have to produce at least 500 identical figures to slightly devalue a single figure. and like Kusanagi said it is a great way to rectify mistakes. i have made several of my bender figures and they are all diff as with improvements.

some pieces i never want to produce again either, because of interest or difficulty of manufacture.

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I don't mine redoing figures as a way to get past previous mistakes and make a better figure.

I'm not comfortable with selling another figure on ebay that was the same as before if I had advertised it as a one of a kind. I think it would be a crappy thing to do to say something is one of a kind, drive up the auction for it, and then turn around and sell all over again.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I thought about remaking Cy-Kill sometime down the road, but he wouldn't be an exact replica of my first. The head would probably be more in style of the original toy and cartoon, whereas the color would be based on the repaint of black and light green.

But that's just for me.

If I did a commission, I'd probably try my best to duplicate the original as much as possible.

8. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

the ebay thing is a good point but only because many people have a diff idea of one of a kind. in my opinion i would still consider 5 similar customs as a one of a kind because we are going to make slight changes unless it is just a super simple design. i have done the same piece over and sold it on ebay. however to date there are only about six of them in circulation still extremely rare if you ask me. in my auctions i don't push the one of a kind hook very hard it just seems played out. i will consider only producing one of a successful custom if bids start to justify doing so.

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a learning experience, it's great to repeat your work. As for their value...yeah, you're lowering the value. Even if it's just a bit. The principle is simple...supply and demand.

Since most of the customizers use ebay, I'll use that as an example.
    I'm a fan of your work. If I know you'll repeat a figure or do a commission, I know that I don't need to watch that ebay auction. I don't need to compete with other buyers. Less buyers, less money. I can just email you and get exactly what I want, someday.

Now imagine that you only do one Galvatron...ever. If I want that Galvatron, I gotta pay more than anyone else. I gotta keep track of when you'll post the auction, I gotta fight with other buyers. The price increases. The other effect is that YOU, as the seller, are challenged to innovate for your next product to keep demand high. Also need to make sure you market your product to those potential buyers are aware of your work without letting them how much you need them.

This happens in the fine art world all the time. People who are serious about this kind of stuff do all sorts of crazy things to get something they really want.

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this is the problem I am having, people will watch my items and think that whatever it sells for they can commission me at the same price for it later. Which as many has found out is not the case, tricky damn scenario.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the late reply, great :2c:  from everyone.