What's Next? Recommend me some non-combiner G1's

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Sadly, the only G1 figure I have is a TRU Reissue Soundwave. I did have a bunch of G1 combiners, but I sold them because I needed the extra money for Christmas. I may pick some up again (Predaking mainly), but I'd like to focus on the non-combiners. Also, I know there will be plenty of Metroplex and Fort Max recommendations. So what does that leave me with?

I'd like Ultra Magnus (Diaclone) if possible and perhaps a Sixshot. I'm not a completist. I only want select figures from that era.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    prime,dinobots,seekers,any of the 84-86 cars,astrotrain,blitzwing and stay away from post 86 movie.(I LOVE ALL MY SEEKERS):D 
    If you are looking for larger formers go with masterpiece.

3. Satomiblood

I don't think I want to get all of the seekers. Maybe just Starscreamm, or Skywarp for the colors. I really like Jazz and Grimlock, possibly Blaster. Inferno has almost always been a favorite of mine as well. And I'm interested in a reissue Prime but Ultra Magnus screams more to me since he's essentially a white Prime with armor.

4. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    encore jazz is awesome. sixshot is great too. i enjoy snaptrap alot myself.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    starscream,thrust and ramjet are great choices(one for each mold)
    original ultra magnus is a excellent choice and is not very expensive to complete(i spent around 30 to complete mine and now he looks new)
    jazz is another great choice but can get expensive for a good one(encore is nice but is not the same)

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus is a pretty cool display piece. I'd really like to get the Diaclone colors someday too. As for a few of my recommendations off the top of my head:

Dinobots
    Jetfire
    Trypticon
    Sixshot
    Shockwave

All those can get pretty spendy though.

7. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Scourge and Slugslinger are quite nice figures to have, and definately a Dinobot or two.

8. Satomiblood

You know, it's funny, I've totally got the money to get all of these now (and many more), but I wouldn't feel right breaking the bank. So those could all be "Transformers of the Year" for me.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Can't go wrong with Shockwave or Jetfire.

Almost any of the Casseticons or Cassettebots are great: Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Ratbat, Eject, Rewind, Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Overkill, Slugfest, etc. They're just cool, intricate little figures whose articulation and detail hold up even today.

For Autobot cars, ya gotta get at least one of the Datsun brothers... preferably Prowl or Smokescreen. It's one of the best Diaclone car molds. Sideswipe and Tracks are also pretty great.

And if you're into small, cute, simple robots, get some minibots. Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Windcharger, Cosmos, Powerglide, Seaspray, etc.

Dinobots and Insecticons won't let you down, either. And Perceptor is a nice figure, if you don't find a giant microscope-bot with tank treads too ridiculous.

10. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Scorponok, that has been a big favorite since I got him for Christmas way back when.

11. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

All the small figures (minicars and cassettes) rock!!!! Buy those!

12. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Once you start getting them it can can be difficult to stop. I was mainly a Masterpiece/Alternator collector until I got a good deal on an encore prime. I figured I would get it for nastalgia reasons. Then I got encore ironhide and ratchet. Now two months later I have the entire TFC bookstyle reissues and all of the hasbro reissues that TFC didn't make. All of the encore reissues. Also I have picked up 7 or 8 of the e-hobby reissues. I want to keep all of them MISB so I have started to pick up a few loose ones to display open. It has gotten to be quite addicting.

13. overlander

overlander Stunticon

Satomiblood, you have 421 Transformers and only one is G1? Makes you realise just how many must have been issued since that era.

Where to begin, though? Responding to some of the above would help with narrowing-down:

Skywarp is perfect. Better colours, better name, meaner box art than the other seekers. Starscream's great, but not as great. Thundercracker and Dirge are bland. Cyclonus and Scourge are sculpture – Cyclonus is sinewy in both modes; Scourge is a bar of soap (in a good way) in his hovercraft mode, and truly majestic as a robot.

The Autobot cars are essential, especially: Jazz, Mirage (unique mould and transformation, and great head detail – looks like Errol Flynn), Ironhide and yes, probably Prowl of the Datsuns, even though I bought Smokescreen instead. Smokescreen's stickers would have been better if the numbers were white on transparent. And the idea of an Autobot police car looks and feels right (although so does Barricade, over two decades later).

Ultra Magnus is also better than the original version of Prime. For me. Bigger isn't always better, though, with Transformers …

Soundwave and any cassettes. Of the minibots: Brawn, Bumblebee, Huffer, Windcharger. Cosmos is just a daft idea, and Seaspray is flimsy.

The Headmasters, in particular Chromedome and Highbrow, might have much less metal on them, but they're still great. They're the exception to the everything-after-the-movie-is-bad rule.

14. Satomiblood

Uh, I think you mistook my post count for the number I have in my collection.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

prime, prowl, jazz, a seeker, sideswipe, wheeljack, and hound are all musts from the first year. from the second, the dinobots, tracks and jetfire are the other must haves, since you already mentioned non-combiners. just make sure to get all of soundwave's tapes.

16. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Don't forget the insecticons, they rule.

And if you have money, get a Japanese or European Overlord.

17. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TF Victory Star Saber and Victory Leo.

Doesn't have to be MISB -- just complete will do :) 

18. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Diaclone=win
    Skyfire

19. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Inferno and red alert run fairly cheap, especially since they have 2003 toys r us reissues.

If you were going to start on 84-85 autobot cars. I'd score these first.
    Inferno fairly big if you want someone who's not a combiner that could hold his own against a decepticon jet.

Also get a blitzwing and insecticons. Those are fun. I actually enjoyed those more than the detachable wing seekers.

20. overlander

overlander Stunticon

Alas, yes …