What's Next For YOU?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DOTM Bumblebee, Jun 22, 2018.

1. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I've seen some people say they plan on jumping off the Generations train after Power of the Primes. I've seen some people change their collecting focus into ONLY Generations, or ONLY Masterpiece. I've even seen some people say that they are done collecting.

No one can predict the future, we can just make plans for it. In terms of media, we have a lot of new starts. Paramount itself doesn't seem sure if it wants Bumblebee: The Movie to be a reboot or just a fresh take on the live-action Transformers movies (with the whole future of the movie franchise in question), a new cartoon called Cyberverse is coming out, and IDW is rebooting their comic universe nearing the end of the year.

However, what is unknown is how all this will affect the toys coming out. We know there are plans for Studio Series continuing through next year. We know that next year begins a new Generations "Trilogy" similar to Prime Wars, called War for Cybertron, with at least the first part focusing on Cybertronian alt modes. The new Transformers: Cyberverse cartoon coming out will have a toyline similar to Robots in Disguise, with Warrior Class figures more aimed at collectors, and a variety of figures aimed at younger fans, with the Scout Class, Ultra Class, and Ultimate Class. Of course, the Masterpiece line will still be going at a slow and steady pace, with more of the traditional G1 Masterpiece figures, more Beast Wars characters receiving the Masterpiece treatment, and plans for more Masterpiece Movie Series figures.

My question is how all this will affect YOU as a collector. Will you invest in just one of these lines, or more than one? Do you see this as a dropping off point, or a place to take a break? I find myself interested in seeing how this will affect the collecting habits of different people.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

For me, personally, I may be slowing down despite my interest in what's coming next. Even with selling off my old custom figures, I'm still a little short on space. I can see myself getting the remaining POTP Dinobots and a few more Studio Series figures. With college coming up, I may resign myself to only buying figures second-hand and cheap from comic book shops and the like. I am happy with my mixed collection, though, and I'll happily add the occasional Cyberverse, Studio Series, or WFC figure to my shelf. With my 20th Anniversary Prime sold by mistake, G2 Bumblebee remains the lone Masterpiece figure in my collection, integrated into my Generations figures due to his MP brethren being too expensive for me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

Well for me I need to work on my MPs, I've also decided to get all the Titan class figures. I want to work on my IDW figues as well. I haven't had a real interest in potp or the studio series, but I'm interested in what's next for transformers.

3. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm actually excited for the new Generations line. I'm very curious to see what we will get. With POTP I got very little in comparison to TR and CW, mainly because I don't like the Dinobot figures (I have the Planet X ones which I love) and the line is 2 waves shorter than TR and CW. I have no idea until I see what is coming out what I will get from the WFC line. I'm actually holding off on buying a few 3rd party figures until the line is announced at SDCC and NYCC and Toy Fair. (yes we always get a Thursday night showing of figures at NYCC but they don't have a booth at the show, I go every year to NYCC). I'm still really enthusiastic about collecting Transformers. Mainly CHUG, a few Studio Series, and a lot of 3P.

4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    After this year I'm done with the CHUG figures, hopefully I can get my hands on Wreck Gar, Punch, Repugnus, Nemesis Prime, & Blast Off and then hopefully BBTS can actually get their wave 3 preorders in plus Hun-Gurrr. I might pick up the occasional War for Cybertron figure depending on the character choices (if its someone from 1987, 88, or 89 I don't have yet I'll definitely pick it up) but between the focus on Cybertronian vehicle modes (something I don't need in my 84/85 lineup) and the lack of actual products on the shelf I've been turned away from Transformers for a while now. I don't know about Studio Series they just aren't getting released, I need Jazz, Lockdown, & Ironhide but hopefully they have some really interesting ones coming out to keep my interest. But really I need to be slowing down on the money I spend for collecting (especially as I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life in general) so next year if I buy any figures it will be solely horror movie NECA and Marvel Legends.

5. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

I’m really only a Generations collector, so it just depends on what the next trilogy looks like. I don’t relish the thought of rebuying a bunch of characters that I already own multiples versions of, so I’ll mainly be hoping that the next trilogy continues filling in holes in my collection. Any G1 character that hasn’t previously been remade will most likely be instant buys, as well as figures that do a better job of representing characters that have already been done (like Sideswipe, Bluestreak, and Ratchet in particular).

• Like Like x 2
  6. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    what he said. I have a shortlist of G1 guys i'm waiting for updates of. CW, TR, and POTP took a huge chunk out of that list. CW-style Seacons PLZ!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Same as others have said. I'm a Classics/Generations collector. After POTP I need 12 more bots to finish off my collection. Hoping a few of those come out in WFC.

8. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

As for the three I mentioned specifically, I’m bummed that if they do get figures, they’ll have Cybertronian alt modes.

Those three characters, and their lack of wide-release, affordable Combiner Wars figures really irritate me. They made a UW Ratchet and a TFSS Bluestreak, and the CW Sunstreaker, while not a perfect figure by any means, should have been a no-brainer Sideswipe retool. :banghead: 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I've been scaling back and it really depends on what is offered in this next trilogy character-wise. I'm not double dipping, if it doesnt fill a hole that I need I'm not getting it. So if the next trilogy sees the Headmaster jrs, the rest of the Targetmasters, Omnibots, Pretender shells, and a big smattering of G 1.5 / G2 Hasbro will see a lot of my money...if it's 'hey, we're starting G1 season 1 all over again I'll likely pass on a LOT.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I will probably transition to collecting Marvel Legends exclusively.

They're chasing the wrong market on pretty much everything TransFormers now.

11. Fade2BlackZarak

Fade2BlackZarak Well-Known Member

I'll keep doing what I'm doing now; grabbing what I like and passing on anything else. I have pretty much needed to drop MPs, though, unfortunately, because of their cost. That Dinobot price tag depresses me every time I see it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I'm interested in Cyberverse and the Bumblebee movie toys.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Staying the course - G1 cartoon MPs only here, but hopefully my young son will get more excited about mainline TFs. Maybe he'll dig the new Cyberverse show or the new Bumblebee flick.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    If there is nothing there for me, then there’s nothing to buy. They will either make something I like or they won’t.

I might save up for various 3P or a nice OSKO with improvements.
    Otherwise I’ve been focusing on my Cinefex collection of the 1st 50 issues, and would like to get my hands on a couple newer Jada Metals 1/24 Batmobiles and a KITT model for my TV/Movie car collection.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Basically this for me, too. If WFC is mostly '84-'85 Cybertronian modes, I'll probably get a couple (e.g. Shockwave, OS/Scorponok at Titan class, Dion) that haven't been addressed yet, but generally avoid much of the line (I'm most worried about what they're doing with the Legends price point). If it's a mix of Cybertronian modes of classic characters plus more of the '87 on up crowd (Autobot Targer- and Powermasters, Headmaster Jrs), I'll stick around and get some stuff.

16. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Wait and see. WFC could possibly be interesting. Too bad about the mainline cartoon stuff though.

17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm still considering dropping out of the game for the most part. I have way too many figures as it is, and have already drastically slowed down.
    I do like to cherry pick though, so some of the next line may be appealing enough to bother with. Same with the movie stuff, even though I really dislike the Studio Series, I am interested in how the BB movie figures will look.
    If the WFC stuff doesn't interest me much, then I will most likely go straight MP and Diaclone Reboot, and potentially sell off a LOT of what I already have.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind Studio Series for the Bumblebee movie figs. Despite me not liking the Bay aesthetic, they do look nicely made.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Riddler87

Riddler87 semi-retired transformers collector

Around 2013 I had to sell most of my collection I only left myself with around 24 figures. When Age of Extinction was released I did get the Dinobots and the Evasion Prime from that line. However I didn't get back into full scale collecting until Combiner Wars was released when I get what I want from POTP I will end up with 100 figures all together, 50 Autobots, 50 Decepticons. Since that is a nice round number and it will be the end of the trilogy it seems like a natural stopping point for me. So unless this new line really impresses me POTP might be it for me, but I've been saying that for years so who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They'll definitely make a Voyager SS OF THAT STARSCREAM.

• Like Like x 1