whats next after cd's?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShortCircuit, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Okay, we went from vinyl records, to 8track, to tapes, to laserdisc's, to Cd's....

whats the next media storage? are Cd's the end of the line? I know about hd and bluray, but is a disc the future? Anyone know?

Do they sell tapes anymore?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They have already been replaced by MP3 players, IMO.

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

My thoughts exactly.

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I hear ya there like..... digital storage type stuff. I can see that.....bluetoooth streaming from your comp to your phone to your stereo wirelessly digitally.....right okay im with ya, all forms like....memory stick type stuff. right right.

5. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

The thing with MP3s and such is that, well, your computer crashes and you're screwed. We're bound to have some kind of physical form of music storage up until civilization ends.

And, well, I know that you can find tapes at thrift stores and stuff. I've been copying the better quality ones (as well as LPs) to MP3 recently.

6. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I still like my CD's. Great sound quality IMO, and I have too many to start over with something new. Plus I always liked the covers/booklets that they have as I'm a sucker for a good album cover (a dying art). Heck, I still have all my old vinyl records too-old school, I know.

7. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

That's good enough for the general public that doesn't care about the degrading quality of their recorded music. Myself, I still prefer the superior sound of vinyl (records). And nothing will replace having the sleeve/case of your favorite record/CD to peruse while you listen to your favorite artist.

Vinyl > CD > FLAC > MP3

8. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

…Sonic spores?

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

But this country lately has been about conveniance. It's easier for me to download a song or album, than trying to track down a vinyl. Im sure a lot of people feel the same way, which is why mp3s are so popular.

10. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Yep. They tried DVD audio but it really didn't go anywhere. I've got some DTS music CD's that are pretty impressive though.

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oooh, that'd be cool. You'd be at a concert or something, and they'd have those misters out, and you'd just take a deep breath and then hear the music in your brain.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Good luck taking your turntable on a trip or in the car. Vinyl is good for certain situations, but they are few and far between. What good is superior (debatable) quality when you can't take it anywhere?

I've never understood why people hang onto this (nearly) dead, very inconvenient format. IMO it sounds like crap, with all the popping and hissing.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  13. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

QFT. Vinyl is like 8 Track stuff - it's cool because it's kitsch, but not because it actually sounds good.

14. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

Wrong.

I still have plenty of CDs for travel, but I prefer to listen to vinyl at home (which IS superior quality, not missing bits & pieces like CD and to an even greater extent MP3, I guess some just can't or don't care to hear what they are missing). There's just something I love about putting down that big record and having the full size album art for a release.

No popping & hissing here either. That's what you get when you try to play the dusty records found in your parents basement on a cheap turntable. My records are well taken care of (most released in the last 20 years) and are played on high quality turntables.

15. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

You'll have to explain yourself, Neil. Seriously.

While you may know scads more about this than I, and I'll be the first one to admit it - I have to know what is better about vinyl. "Wrong" just doesn't cut it.

I understand about the waveforms from the grooves being exactly how the sound was recorded - in that respect, yes - first presses are more true to the original sound. However, CDs don't degrade over time... so in the longer run my vinyl of Creedence Clearwater Revival's '68 album will not sound as good as my CD of the exact same recording. Years of it being removed from the dust jacket degrade it. Years of fingerprints and needles degrade it.

I have a lot of albums - stuff that I can't find on CD or haven't been able to, like my Moog stuff, The Carpenters, Eagles, and some Disney things I had as a kid - and I love them. But the ones that I have replaced - be it from my hearing not being up to par - do not stack up to a CD because of the age involved.

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was going to say SD Card/digital media type stuff.

You can hold more than a CD's worth of uncompressed audio on a fairly reasonable priced memory card.

17. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    ef's and gh's.

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Errm...Vinyl? The fuck? There's no way in hell vinyl sounds better than CD's or FLAC's, or even MP3's at a decent bitrate. Vinyl sounds horrid compared to those. Hell, Vinyl's just barely better than cassette and the horrid "tape hiss"

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dont think stuff should be smaller that SDs. theyre already hella small. hella!

20. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Vinyl is the bomb yo, just like Laserdiscs. Analog 4ever!!! :dunce