What's new on Krypton?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by TranstechCat, Dec 31, 2010.

1. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

So... What's going on in the world of Superman?

And I mean in every aspect: Comics, new T.V./Movie projects, etc...

I haven't read a Superman comic in ages and ages, and I haven't heard anything about what's happening in that "world" in YEARS. Both in terms of the property (wasn't there some legal issues with the family of one of the creators a while back?) and the fictional storyline (I haven't picked up a book since he "came back to life" back in the 90's and I lost interest in the way "Smallville" was handling the character back in the third season or so... yeah, I'm WAY behind).

I used to be the biggest Superman fan ever (when I was like six or seven, but still...), and I'm just curious as to what's going on with this chunk of my childhood these many (MANY) years later.

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Honestly, your best bet for info would be to check out Wikipedia. There may even be a Superman wiki out there. I could give you a basic run down, but it would take quite a while. You're looking for a lot of info there.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Lets see...

Comics

They killed PA kent
    Supergirl was reintroduced with her original origin
    In a fight with Braniac superman freed a Bottle city.
    He then took it to the anartic where it grew to full size
    Supergirl's parents were there.
    Krytonians tried to set up a colony on earth
    Earth didn't take it well.
    The colony took off and made a second moon sized planet orbiting the earth. Called it new Kryton.
    Freed Zod and put him in charge of the military
    Superman goes to new Kryton to live among the superpowerd natives
    Ends up a genneral in Zods army
    Earth mean while sends troops to new Krypton, they are led by Lois's father. They have Luthor and Braniac on staff.
    During this Supergirl's Father is killed, making her Mother a little nuts.(She's the ruler of the new planet btw.)
    Superman manages to prevent a war between planets.
    Other planets get pissy with the attitude of the krytonians. Have visits from Thangard, Saturn, Gl Corps.
    We learn about Krypton's class system, including the indentured working class.
    Political rivalries break out.
    Zod shot.
    Superman becomes commander of the army while zod is recovering.
    More inter Krytonian issues.
    Earth attacks again.
    Blows up the planet.
    They go to war.
    Superman tries to reason with everyone.
    Doesn't work
    Sends survivors to phantom zone.
    Meanwhlie lois has story about what the rouge militaty branch has been up to. They all get arrested including her Sister who had gained superpowers and working with her father.
    Superman depressed over this is walking(litterally) around the country town to town.
    Luther is now the star of action comics. After his brief power up of orange lantern energy during blackest night, he's now searching for the black lantern power(rasies the dead) So he can become all powerful. Has a lois robot assistant.
    Supergirl is living with Lana Lang pretending to be her relative.
    Superboy is back from the dead has his own comic. Is living with Ma and krypto.

and that's the short version.

TV
    Smallville Ending

Movies Chris Nolan(Batman) and Zac Snider(300/ Watchmen/ Suckerpunch)
    are doing the next superman movie expected to come out 2012.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The absolute latest in the comics goes like this:

Following the defeat of the latest alien threat, Superman is feeling that he has lost touch with the average joe that he stands up to defend. So, to help him reconnect, he goes on a walk across the USA, righting whatever wrongs he encounters along the way. Some pretty good back to basics storytelling, tackling things like the latest issue a father who beats up his kid. Depends on if you like that side of the character or not, I personally do so it's a nice arc and a good break from the last 18+ months of cosmic threats and General Zod / Luthor / 7734 / Brainiac.

In Action Comics, it's currently all about Lex Luthor on the trail of residual energy of the Black Lantern rings and meeting lots of the DCU's other supervillains along the way. Deathstroke first of all, then Gorilla Grodd, Death of the Endless - it's a pretty cool villain focused arc. Slightly creepy how he's got a robot copy of Lois Lane with him and all, but it's a look into just how screwed up Luthor is now, especially after being exposed to the light of an Orange Lantern ring.

One thing, you mention Smallville, there's still a bit of Smallville influence in the comics, Chloe just got introduced into the main continuity. And Lex now spent some time in Smallville in his youth but whether or not he remembers Clark from that time depends entirely on who is writing.

Might be worth picking up one of the trades to have a look at if you're still unsure of it, I'd not recommend War of the Supermen though - that four issue series was far too rushed and upset way too much character development from the New Krypton / World of new Krypton arcs.

5. TranstechCat

Why is it that Krypton/the Kryptonians just can't seem to function as a planet/species?

Seems like every time they find survivors (or resurrect some) they just end up blowing themselves up (or something equally fatal).

They've done the "New Krypton" thing several times now (or at least it seems like it) and it always ends the same, with a newly dead Krypton.

That's an interesting direction. Lots of potential with that.

Eh, I'm not really that interested. I was just looking to hear the jist of it, which (apparently) has been covered.

Thanks guys. ^_^

6. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Actually Krypton was doing pretty well till the humans blew it up. I started even kind of liking zod. After new Kryton blew up I can see how he will want to destroy and take over earth in the future. Really I wish it had gone on longer. As Sol Fury said the ending was too rushed.

7. TranstechCat

Why did the Humans feel the need to try and make Superman the last of his kind again?

I'm not really clear on that part.

8. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    The usual xenophobic military rogue squad type. General Lane is the equivilant to Marvels General Ross(At least before recent events where when he gets angry he turns into a red hulk and his mustache magically disappears(then apparently comes back later. Seriously they have never explained the magic vanishing mustache)

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, supes wouldnt be the last son of krypton then. thats his whole deal.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's a bird, it's a plane, naw dawg, it's Supaman