What's more important: a good alt or robot mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thefrozenred, Sep 13, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    This is inspired by threads like the one about C-Metroplex:

What's more important in a TF toy? A convincing alternate mode, or a great robot mode?

Ideally, a good TF has both, much like many of the Alternators. But, if you had to CHOOSE one (and only one) to be outstanding in a figure, which one would you rather have?

On one hand, you have Armada Sideswipe, with a really nice vehicle mode, but a horrendous robot mode.

On the other is Cybertron Metroplex, who is impressive in robot mode (both aesthetically and in terms of articulation), but who transforms into...well, nothing, really.

Personally, I'd rather have a great robot mode. The Transformers are, to me, robots - not cars/trains/planes. They're displayed in their robot modes, and the alternate modes are more of a gimmick for me - something to figure out, and which also gives the bots a design aesthetic unique to the franchise. If it weren't for the alt modes - if this were just a robot line - I probably wouldn't be interested at all.

And, the list of figures with weak alt modes but superior robot modes is long: C-Metroplex, E-Shockblast, C-Soundwave, E-Prime (and those are just the ones I can see right now).

It'd be nice if the poll function hadn't been disabled. :-/

2. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Well, for me it's the robot mode, probably because I'm fairly character driven. That's how I display most of my TFs. Well, except the Dinobots. Cuz they're the freakin' Dinobots!

However, it's got to have a workable alt mode. Cybertron Metroplex is a no-no for me. In fact, I WANT a robot mode that's somewhat compromised by the needs of the alt mode and its transformation. It's one of the things I think of as being one of the chief TF characteristics - wheels and car doors hanging off, headlights for nipples, big hood barrel-chests, and grills for abs. Kibble is best when it's used to emulate some part of human (or some other organic creature's) anatomy.

I think one of the reasons why people don't like "shell-bots" as much, not to mention the negative reaction by many to the movie bots is because of that: they miss the recognizable kibble.

3. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I believe both are equally important in my opinion. That is why I primarily buy Masterpiece, Hybrid, Alternators and BTs.

The only other figures I currently have are G1(mostly Primes, all in storage), RiD Omega Prime(Prime and Magnus), Laser(Justice) Prime, RiD Scourge, Energon Arcee, Armada 'Bendy' Prime, Cybertron Lugnutz, Cybertron Downshift, Cybertron Unicron, Beast Wars Op Op, and Titanium Prime/Megs.

All of the figures I have listed have good Robot and good Vehicle modes with Op Op, RiD Magnus, and of course Titanium Megs being the exceptions(bad vehicle for Op Op, bad robot for RiD Magnus, except in Omega Prime mode, and of course Titanium Megs has a horrible robot mode).

With that said, the Classics line looks to be the best 'main' line we have seen in some time that has both equally cool robot and vehicle modes in each figure.

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Both are equally important, but if I were to choose one, definitely robot mode is the more important. Cybertron Metroplex is great. And I'll agree on Energon Prime ONLY concerning the two-pack version.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Robot mode generally preferred over alt mode for me, so I'll often consider a toy with a good bot mode 'good', even if the alt mode is terrible.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think as a Transformer, both modes should be equally important. Isn't that the whole point of the line. Otherwise you have Hot Wheels or.... damn I can't think of a purely robot toy line.... little help?

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

If I had to choose, I'd say robot since that's the mode I display most.

8. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Bucking the trend, I tend to look at the vehicle mode first and see how well it is. It's still got to have a decent robot mode though before I'll grab it.

9. MaximusCrime

MaximusCrime Active Member

I'd say robot mode, if I had to choose. Masterpiece Prime looks better as a robot than as a truck and I'm happy it's not the other way around although I'd like it if the truck was a little better(I don't like the reclined headlight section).

This is all down to the fact that I display in robot mode and hardly transform them anyway. I love the way my BT Grimlock looks as a car, but if I wanted to display a Mustang I'd buy a 1/18(which I collect cars in) Mustang(I might in fact do that as well). The thing that makes the BT's so perfect is that you can still see the perfect car-shape in robot mode, so one(good robot mode) means the other(good alt mode).

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd like the best of both worlds, but I'd display them in robot mode so if I had to choose I'd choose that. Case in point: The Giant planet guys have lame alt. modes, but their robot modes are some of the best from the line.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Both/and. If I had to choose, I'd go with robot mode, but even then the alt mode has to at least look like something. None of this folded-up robot crap like we've got with Metroplex and Menosaur.

12. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you sorta contradicted yourself there. you like the robot mode but then said the alt mode makes it for you. Or at least that was my take on it.....
    I can't decide on one. I need both.

13. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Personally, when it comes to transformers, my preference is if the alt mode properly hides the bot mode, and if the bot mode still has good kibble to show parts of the alt mode.

I really hate alt modes where you can still see the arms, etc, and bot modes that has all the alt pieces in the back or for some reason cannot be seen. :/

14. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the bot mode better. Some of my favorite TFs have horid Alt. modes, but sweet bot modes.

Examples-THS-02, Cyb. Metroplex, Cyb. Menasor, and Cyb. Soundwave.

15. Signal Lancer

Signal Lancer Brave Soldier of Justice

News Credits:
    For me a great alt mode will save a poor bot mode, but a good robot mode goes farther to cover up a weak alt mode. Although that doesn't touch what I consider a good alt or robot mode...

16. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you like Armada Sideswipe?

17. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I prefer bot mode but I'll make exceptions if the alt mode is some kind of realalistic looking military type vehicle or a cool looking jet fighter.

Edit: or a cool mechanical looking animal.

18. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

If I could choose one I'd go with the alt mode. A robot has more liberties for what it can look like since there's no basis for it. An alternate mode however already exists (the realistic ones) and need to look accurate for people to recognize it.

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great Robot Mode! That's how I display all my Transformers! Except the Beasts. Most are in Beast mode hugging the carpet. :D 

20. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    A good alt.