What's Lee's Toy Review's problem?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by B-Fox, Aug 3, 2007.

1. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've notice that before the movie's release and afterward, Lee's Toy Review, or the offical How To Be An Effective Toy Scalper magazine's writers have taken EVERY OPPORTUNITY to bash on the movie whenever mentioning anything about Transformers nowadays. You can't look at a visual guide or the section in the magazine where they tell you how much to overcharge for those extra seven Alternator Swerve figures without making a snide little comment. The newest issue, in fact, goes so far to say that if you enjoyed the movie, it's only because you're in denile with how bad it is because they didn't like it.

So seriously, what is Lee's Toy Review's problem? I could care less about the opinion of some internet 'reporter' who gets his scoops from message board rumors ("The Movie Megatron design is AWFUL, but FRANK WELKER is providing the voice, OMG!"), but its gotten uber-obnoxious to the point where I won't even skim through the magazine.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Wow. Using a toy mag as a random soapbox, that's pretty low.

ToyFare does it, but at least they've got a pretty good sense of humor to help it along.

3. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

toyfare does that stuff less often and dedicates more space to transformers anyway.at least lately...

4. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is very true. I remember a time when they didn't give Transformers stuff the time of day. Didn't they only report on the last wave of Beast Wars figures and the first wave of Beast Machines back in the day?

5. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

An official Scalper mag??? They actually have one...? (lol, kinda funny, "Scalper" and "Official" abd kinda conflicting, no???)

Re: the movie, everyone has an opinion... But as an adult seeing all the stuff that was cool for kids back them, become live action movies is automatically COOL... That said, not all of them ARE actually that cool... i.e. X-men 1, which IMO sucked... BUT I was still SOOOO happy that a F'ing XMEN live action film actually came out!!! ---> Brian Singer got so much undeserved credit for this reason... but he was vindicated, X2 kicked ass!!! Then screwed up Superman (Clark a "babys' daddy??? WTF) And though TRANSFORMERS was far from perfect...
    I CANNOT complain as there was SOOO much that was right about it!!!
    After all, the TF movie could have been as ugly as the CGI in the 1st Power Rangers movie... Even worst, what if it NEVER was considered as live action film in the 1st place??? I'll take the good with the bad!!!

Bring on Voltron

Bring on the Fuckin THUNDERCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Panthro can do an homage to Jazz and tell some Robear-burbbles "Sup lil Bitches, This looks like a coo place to kick it" !!!! lol

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Those people are just low-lifes. No meaning in there lives so they take it out in petty, bitter little snarks at meaningless things.

Besides, who's going to take movie advice from a toy reviewer? Seriously, if that's your life goal, to reveiw toys in a magazine, someone needs to find a date.

I'm not saying all movie haters are like this (most are okay people), but these guys are sad.

Though that's just my opinion.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Given that it's perpetrating through a 20s/30s collector-oriented magazine, I call pandering.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Never read it.
    Never intend to.

9. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Strange they sunk to such low depths regarding transformers. I started reading it about 10 years ago when there was barely mention of anything tf's back then. There wasnt much media for g1 tf collecors back then, internet was new so this mag is all we had. Only thing of note was the Hartmans reviews of g1 in the mid 90's. They took more keenly to g1 stuff after it exploded in popualrity during the beast wars years. With ebay and sites like this, theres no reason for me to pick up an issue.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Internet > crappy magazine.

11. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

They did talk a little bit about Car Robots but I think that was in their Japan Toy Fair article.

12. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you're telling me if someone paid you money to write about toys you collect (and some you don't) you would turn them down?

13. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Dit-to.

14. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it's popular, hate it.
    If it'll cause controversy (and so boost sales), hate it.

Pretty much sums it up.

15. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Wow - I haven't picked up Lees in a few years... it's sad that it's stooped to Toyfare level. It used to be that Lees and Tomart's were the mags to have for serious collectors.

I guess if you can't beat 'em... join 'em.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you. There was a time when Lees was taken as seriously...kinda sad that they have to resort to this...

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes.;) 

No, but still, there are better ways to make money. Like Government services.

18. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    It was? I must have missed that memo.

Why would anyone take a magazine about toys seriously? It's not like they're the Wall Street Journal or anything.

I never really cared much for Lee's format or coverage choices, so I usually don't bother. With ToyFare, I find most of the mag pretty funny, esp. Twisted ToyFare Theater. Though I will admit most of the original talent behind TTT is doing Robot Chicken now.

Regardless, I haven't looked to a toy mag for news or reviews (of toys) for a long, long time. That's why I come here. You guys give your opinions for free.:D 

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awww c'mon dude...lay off me would ya? XD When I mean "serious" I don't mean "life and death" serious but unbiased coverage! :D 

20. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:

Well, you got me there...when Lee's had TF coverage back then, it was largely unbiased.:D 

"This month we have the latest and greatest blah blah blah...oh....yeah, some new Transformers...."