Whats gonna be the next CD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmegaScourge, Oct 31, 2006.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

DVD gets upgraded to HD DVD/Blu-Ray
    Cable TV gets upgraded to Digital Cable
    Radio gets upgraded to Satellite Radio/HD Radio
    Tube TVs gets upgraded to HDTV
    35mm cameras gets upgraded to Digital cameras

there was the DVD-Audio, but that didn't stick...there's the iPOD, but that's more like data files.

maybe this'll be it: http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115465756406526611-zDVoC9gVjKN5To_wGw0adS3BwwU_20070804.html?mod=blogs

most likely not.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was going to say, "SD Cards"

or in my case, my thumb drive.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I don't see why we -need- anything other than the CD. There were obvious limitations to vinyl, the CD eliminates almost all of these shortcomings. If it aint broke...

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ehh. CDs work for me. I just want music, not to worried about the extras they mention. And I had just assumed that the digital media file was the next paradigm shift.

But hey, Criminal Records in Atlanta! They're like two miles from my house. They kick ass, first place I go for used CDs, and they also have a large stock of new comics and TPBs

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Physical media is over and done with. Nothing is going to replace the cd, because there's no need.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    For me, probably around like $1200 into one of the Wachovia ones with a 5.25 interest rate. They're slow to accumulate dividends, but it's nice to have that few extra hundred on top of the $1200.

('sa joke)

7. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Boo.

8. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is that a 3-month, 6-month, or 12-month?

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *golf clap*

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I HATE CD's, you have to be so careful with them, or the scratch and dont work anymore, the information labels flake off the top of a lot of them, a lot of CD trays scratch them on their own

they're crap and I wont even TOUCH a second hand CD because it might not work do to being scratched. or I'll put it in my CD ROM and it wont work due to crazy amounts of copy protection

I feel the exact way with DVD's.. I just won't buy them, they are too easily damaged. I rent them, and they are always scratched on the bottem, I've had to get my money back a few times due to the movie skipping.

Dont even get me started on TWO sided DVD's...

digital media transfer already IS starting to replace the CD.

Mp3 players are great, they dont skip, they fit in your pocket, can hold tons of songs and other information, built in radio's, and microphones, etc. MP3's or some kind of digital music file will eventually replace the CD.

and im hoping they'll do something simliar some day with DVD's. Just get rid of the easily scratched plastic, SOON!!

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

You must treat your discs like shit, i've never managed to unintentionally damage any optical media beyond useability and i've certainly never seen the printing peel off of one. I even used the underside of PC game as a tea mat once thinking that it was an ISP disc and it still worked after I realised and cleaned the rings off of it.

12. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Yeah, it actually takes a bit of work to really fuck up a CD.

13. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

14. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I would say the replacement would basically be online stores where you can either download a song individually or a whole album at half the cost of the CD. Why have a store that's dedicated to CDs anymore? A lot of those in my area or going under because of this; Tower Records is one example.

15. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

What really cracked me up in that article, is the complaint of low CD sales. They still haven't figured out that people aren't buying them because the cost nearly as much as a DVD, and most of the music available is utter garbage.

I dread the day music is only available through download. I refuse to pay money for a compressed, rights managed file. The last thing I want is to only be able to get my music in a format that has to be hacked, just to allow me to listen to it on the device of my choosing.

If everybody were using a system similar to Magnatube, it would be different.

16. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

The answer to "what's next" in any techology is answered easily: what will bring us closer to Star Trek?

Yes, I'm serious. I saw a documentary recently (I'm sure it'll air again at some point?) called How William Shatner Changed the World. The title is a bit misleading - long story short, Trek inspired cellphones, computers...and the iPod. One of the guys behind the iPod is on the documentary talking about how, on Star Trek TNG (and its spinoffs) people could simply say, "Computer, play the Marshall Mathers LP" and Eminem would be bangin' out of the speakers in their quarters/room/whatever. So digital music is it - it's the future.

If the music industry insists on a new physical format, I would agree with previous posters that they switch to memory chips (ala SD cards or Nintendo DS games). CDs are fragile and, even if well-cared for, only have a life expectancy of about a decade or so - the aluminum will oxidize ("rust") and the data will be lost.

As for rights management - until we eliminate money on Earth (according to Trek, that's a ways off yet) we're gonna be stuck with stuff like that. *shrug*

17. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    EMI records says they will no longer release any records without because it impossible to make money by only selling cds with music on them. I do have a reference for this statement, but it's in Norwegian...

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Must have gotten a bad batch of CDs or be treating them roughly or something. I've got ~300 CDs and never had one with the label flake off the top or any get scratched by the CD tray or my other storage units. Hell, I dropped a CD on the sidewalk once, picked it up and brushed it off...and it worked just fine. Even some of the second-hand disks I own that have obvious marks on the underside still play just fine.

I'd prefer that nothing comes along to replace CDs. They work well as a 'hard copy' of music and it's easy to just rip music from them for an MP3 player. I'm also not interested in "extras" on disks (wish they'd just leave those off and reduce the price of an album), so if the only thing a new format will allow is more extras, it won't appeal to me. DVDs are the same, IMO: They're a great format already and I'm not interested in the 'next generation' formats.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This isn't a new thing for Mike. He has the fear about an alarming number of everyday household items.

20. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    :lolol 

But I agree with D_C, thumb drives have replaced my need for CDs.