Whats better: Prime VS RID15

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Prime or RID

1. Prime (2010-2013)

101 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. RID (2015-2017)

17 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given that they were developed with very different audiences in mind, I think comparing the two is a bit ruff.

Prime had good animation, and one of the best versions of Starscream we've seen in a long time. It also gave us fantastic characters in Knock Out and Breakdown, and probably one of the best humans in the franchise in Agent Fowler. Other characters, like Ratchet and Wheeljack, were highly enjoyable, and after the more stiff and formal military unit feel of the Autobots of the various Unicron trilogy series, the Autobots finally felt like friends and family again.

On the other hand, it wasn't completely without its padding and pacing issues, and the McGuffin chase for the various Cybertronian artifacts went on far too long.

RiD2015 also had really great animation (except maybe for faces) and gave us Strongarm (who's one of my favorite new characters in some time). Their version of Grimlock was a lot of fun. The Decepticons, by and large, had really fantastic designs and some excellent voice acting. And while I may be in the minority, I actually found Russel to be a really great human cast member (actually, all my favorite humans--Fowler, Russel, and pretty much all the Rescue Boys humans, come from this continuity).

It's frustrating unwillingness to draw connections to the previous series or explain its backstory in a substantial way (we still don't really know what was going on with Grimlock) was a bit of a turn off, though I understand that to be more of a corporate level mandate towards accessibility. It too, had its own filler episodes, and while Team Bee did overall grow closer as the episodes progressed, seemed to be unable to settle on just how mature Sideswipe had become or how much Bee trusted his new team or any number of other character beats that got recycled over and over.

So I like them both a lot. And we got some cool toys out of both of them. Forced to chose between the two... I'd probably say Prime.

But favorite show for the overall Alligned continuity? I'll say Rescue Bots.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Saediga

Saediga New Member

I'm gonna say Prime because it didn't make me want to rip my eyes out with how bad the animation was. The animation looks more like a first graders attempt at stop motion than an actual professionally made show with a budget honestly.
    The story of Prime is also better, but this is Transformers and no one watches Transformers for the story.

3. Razorblade

Razorblade New Member

I loved Transformers: Prime, it has a G1 feel to it but with a Bayformers contrast flare, the transforms into vehicle mode and robot mode were more solid while the bayformers transforms were more all over the place and loose and the facial features of TF: PRIME were were more like there G1 counterparts while Bayformers looked like they needed moisturizer and as for TF: RID, I wouldn't say i liked it nor disliked it, it has its ups and downs, but every time Bumblebee makes a shocked face or excited face it reminds of the older Aang from Legend of Korra series, but the series was to much like the Transformers: Animated series that came out before Prime, the transforms into vehicle mode was just to similar to the Animated series and the main opening of the show had that feel, and believe me, i liked the Animated opening more then the RID opening.

4. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    both are good in their own rights

prime is the same basic formula of other series but as a darker more action packed and serious show it works

rid is more original and does a much different formula that make sit feel fresher and funner, while still being true to what it is supposed to be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RiD wishes it was even as good as Energon.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime is a flawed series, but it's impressively crafted. It has beautiful animation, direction, and great voice acting. The scripting is good to great only about half the time, but it's several steps above RiD in terms of quality.

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    False

• Like Like x 3
  8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I think there have been threads like this before though people kept starting them while RID was still airing new episodes and I don't feel like it's fair to compare them when one is complete and the other is still ongoing.

Anyway since they're both complete now it's a little more fair but I do feel like they're aimed at different audiences. That said Prime was good but had a lot of set up that feels like it never went anywhere. I feel like Breakdown could have switched sides but his story line was cut short by his death, then picked up by Dread wing for no good reason and then Knockout out of nowhere ended up being the one to actually switch sides despite showing no signs before hand. Also with the limitations of the animation the world in Prime felt empty and boring.

RID's cheaper animation allowed them to do some real world building so the Earth actually felt populated. Unfortunantly story wise it was kind of boring, repetitive, and had mostly terrible stupid villains. There were a few good episodes I liked but there far fewer bad episodes in Prime.

I will say one good thing for RID Stars cream and Soundwave look SO much better with their RID designs than their skinny Prime versions. Sound wave was never much of a physical fighter in Prime so his skinny frame didn't bother me as much but gawd I hated Stars cream. Those supper skinny robots look like they could snap like twigs. I just kinda wish his Prime toy had a crown since the way he's designed reminds me so much of how G1 looked in the movie. Those shoulders and the wings forming a cape, all he's missing is a crown. Oh well can't have everything, at least he looks more powerful and actually resembles a Stars cream.

So basically there's things about each that I like and hate but I think over all Prime has more good points than bad and RID has more bad points than good.

9. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Hot Roding Autobot Punk

YouTube:
    Well, THIS isn't a very fair comparison. That's like Comparing Movieverse to Animated. (*Cough* Ones obviously better *Cough*)

10. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

For adults Transformers Prime for kids Transformers RID2015. I prefer TF Prime for many reasons

- Darker tone compared to other Transformers cartoons
    - Deaths, they weren't brought back except for Optimus Prime, Megatron and Bumblebee.
    - Had less characters, means more screen time for others, and see each characters develop overtime and become a core member of their respective faction.
    - Awesome designs, alt-mode and robot mode
    - Pretty interesting storyline. With each episode being a prequel.
    - The writers did a pretty descent job on the show, even though it had some flaws
    - One word: WHEELJACK!!!! he was fearless and took risks putting his life on the line numerous of times.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Prime looks better.

RiD was less constantly disappointing.

But part of the reason RiD was less disappointing was because I expected less, so that really muddles things.

Both of them were perfectly adequate kids shows which came and went. I don't think either of them will have any life in the real (non-fandom) world beyond that. Neither of them were a cultural revolution, and I seriously doubt that any of the kids of the past decade who watched them will have anything more than very vague memories of the shows 20 years from now. They'll live on in the memories and affections of some here, the way Armada and Cyberton do, but no more than that.

Destination: mists of time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Well some of the problems I had with Prime...

- They set up that Dark tone by killing Cliff jumper in the first episode but then never did it again for the rest of the series. They wanted to make it feel like they weren't afraid to kill off Autobots but totally failed because all their main characters were totally unkillable. They had a chance with Bulkhead but then he ended up just being badly hurt even though it looked like he was going to die.

- Yeah they should keep that rule consistent. This series actually had more characters return from the dead than any other series where it's usually just Optimus and Stars cream. We could also add to that list if we include zombies.

- Having less characters CAN mean more screen time but Prime typically failed at that. The problem is worse in the first season and then kinda stopped in later seasons but there were so many characters in this series who die with no character development what so ever. Cliff jumper, Sky quake, Tailgate who only existed in flash back, Sea spray who wasn't even seen onscreen before being killed, and so many Decepticons who's names I can't even be bothered to remember cause they left no impact on me what so ever.

I don't mind having a darker tone where characters can actually die but if you don't take the time to develop them then it totally defeats the purpose of killing them in the first place. The audience has to be able to connect with that character in some way so that when they die it means something. If you kill them off in their first episode then they might as well have never existed.

- I think the designs were boring, mainly their blank faces with no noses.

- Yes the story line was interesting but as mentioned before it felt like a like of plot threads were dropped.

- They did a much better job than the movies even though it's the same writers which is why I think most of the movie's problems are because of the changes Bay made to their scripts.

- Wheeljack was awesome... though oddly his first episode wasn't actually him for most of it.

13. MatrixQuardeanUnlimited56

MatrixQuardeanUnlimited56 TheDarkKnightAndTheQuardeanPraetorianKnightsmen

TFP. Although TFRID2015 does have its moment and/or moments' in the spotlight and has some interesting characters' and storylines'.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

TF Prime was 100% better than RID2015.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished watching RID & I stand by my earlier assessment: I prefer it over TFP. I still love both shows, but I think I had more fun with RID.

The finale was easily more satisfying than TFP’s “I must sacrifice myself now because I’m Optimus Prime.”

I’ll have to do a write-up of my final thoughts on RID.