Whats better: Prime VS RID15

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Prime or RID

1. Prime (2010-2013)

92 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. RID (2015-2017)

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I finally finished the chore of watching RID15 two days ago. I am happy I finished it just because I have watched every TV show so had to keep the trend going. But it makes me miss Transformers Prime and I actually got to watched the first episode of Prime for the first time in a while on Tuesday and want to go back and rewatch the whole thing. I just miss a enjoyable Transformers show so much. So it is obvious that I prefer Prime to RID2015. It had a more enjoyable team of Autobots that I enjoyed seeing on screen besides Arcee rather then the annoying trash we had to follow in RID. The cons had Knockout so we all know who better there. Animation is Prime hands down. Although Prime took itself very serious and sometimes did not have the right payoff at least I felt it like it gave a crap about the show. RID writing seems like everyone is stoned and just kind of do whatever with how stupid the humans are in the show.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sideways77

Sideways77 RIP Dandy Chiggins

News Credits:
    RID.

It was fun with interesting characters and never felt boring, even when it stopped adding new characters and resorted to G1 rehashes. Prime was a good show with (very few) good characters and beautiful animation, but it dragged a lot with repetitive plots and the well discussed waste of characters. RID took more risks and I have more respect for it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

Prime and RID are both very good shows with different approaches. Prime is just a little too self serious for a show that's so clearly ridiculous. I appreciated the melodrama because at least it was good melodrama. But ultimately RID has a lot more heart. That show might not be very serious or have that much story complexity but I think having the Bee Team face 100 different rogue Decepticons is actually better writing than Team Prime facing 100 different "endgames" from Megatron.

I love them both though. They're the first Transformers timeline I've had the pleasure of actively following as they unfold in my teenage/young adult life.

• Like Like x 5
  4. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    Prime by a LONG shot. RID was bad for many reasons but the fact that it didn’t even try to be a sequel to RID and ruined returning characters is enough reason for the show to be a POS

• Like Like x 4
  5. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Just Monika.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I enjoyed Prime a lot more if only for their versions of Starscream and Soundwave. Steve Blum really brought Starscream to life.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    PRID

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

They aren't even aimed at the same audience and age bracket.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Prime is the best series of the entire franchise. I say that as a fan since 84.
    That's an awesome perspective to consider.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Haven't seen the last season of RID2015, but for now I'll sat that I enjoyed Prime more.

10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    RID was leagues more enjoyable than Prime.
    Prime was a whole lot of pompous fanwank.
    RID also fell into that trap with that postseason two mini-series, but Season one was very enjoyable.
    And RID also gave us a whole lot of new and entertaining characters.
    It was very satisfying having a cartoon giving us a new take on the franchise after the geewun rehash of Animated and Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Transformers: Prime, for me, is the best cartoon adaptation of Transformers to date. It takes the war with the Decepticons very seriously for a kid's show, and the conflicts between the characters never feels dumbed down. You have characters going through loss and all the negative emotions it brings like Arcee, through feelings of worthlessness due to injury like Bumblebee, and through conflicts of loyalty like Dreadwing. It has a fantastic voice cast with Peter Cullen and Frank Welker leading the charge as Optimus Prime and Megatron, it has a nice mix of familiar characters and new (Knock Out and Prime's version of Predaking are fan favorites), and the character designs are recognizable, but expressive and emotive, and feel unique (barring twins and generic troopers). While for the most part I enjoy the story arcs and episodes, I will concede that maybe the MacGuffin hunts in Season 2 got a bit repetitive, but the sense of stakes, that there's something to lose, do give it some weight.

By comparison, Transformers: Robots in Disguise is by no means a bad show, but doesn't have quite as much substance. It's obviously not trying to be anything more than just simple fun for kids with lessons to learn, and it does succeed at that, but the tone of Prime is missed. The characters are a mixed bag, with all starting out with promise, but repetitive character traits such as Strongarm and Sideswipe's quarreling and Grimlock's childishness become unbearable as they become used far too often over the course of Season 3. By the end, Bumblebee is the most well-rounded character and he and Drift show the most character development. The Autobots guest stars are all fun additions, whether they're faithful updates of a classic character like Jazz, or newer characters like Blastwave and Dropforge. The Decepticons are all hit-and-miss, with Decepticons who play larger parts like Steeljaw and his original pack, Springload, Bisk, Starscream, and the Stunticons being memorable, fun, and interesting, with other Decepticons either not being memorable like Zizza and the Skunkticons, or just feeling wasted like Scorponok, Soundwave, and the Council. The character designs aren't the worst, but aside from a few exceptions like Grimlock, Blastwave, and some of the Minicons, they blend together and look kind of generic. The animal-based Decepticons are especially hit and miss, with only a few truly hitting the mark. I will give credit to updated G1 designs for doing their own thing while being clear homages. The episodes are usually self-contained, which generally hurts the story arcs. Combiner Force feels especially poorly placed, with dull and sometimes problematic filler episodes taking up the season slots when the time could be better spent building up the threat of the council. Only Season 2.5 feels perfectly paced, at least to me. Some of the Decepticon prisoners apparently being labeled as subspecies like "Crow Decepticon" and "Energon Vampire" feels problematic, especially when we're expected to believe they all have common character traits that negatively impact themselves and others. I could be reading too deeply into it, and I doubt the writers intended anything mean-spirited or harmful, but it does raise a few alarm bells.

In summary, while I vastly prefer TF: Prime and I have been a bit harsh on RID, I do enjoy both shows, and would go back and watch either one.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

For me, this is easy. Prime is one of my all time favorite cartoons, Transformers or otherwise. I only watched RID because of its connections to Prime. Had it not been connected to Prime, I probably wouldn't have watched more than a few episodes.

• Like Like x 3
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Honestly? I find these two shows completely incomparable, yet so, so similar. (obviously)

Prime was a show that looked every gift horse in the mouth, and every positive aspect had a "but" attached to it that just sours the whole thing. RID had far less lofty aspirations... and still felt disappointing. Neither has a good plot, neither really has characters I'm all that fond of, and neither has designs I care for all that much.

So as bad as this sounds, Prime wins for me simply because it looks better. Granted its character designs rub me entirely the wrong way for their generic faces, lack of dynamic proportions and insistance on the "person with layered plates over them" look, but the CGI was overall high quality despite its limitations. RID has every negative of Prime's animation except it also fetaures absurdy bland and generic character esigns overall, and is so, so ugly to look at. The colours feel sunbleached and terribly contrasted, and the actual animation is the exact opposite of fluid. Prime featured a wide array (albiet often focussing too much on a select few) colour pallettes and dynamic cinematography at times. RID always looks terrible, always looks unfinished and... flat.

So Prime wins IMO. It may have failed at achieving its abitious goals, but RID failed at achieving even the mundane.

• Like Like x 6
  14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Saved me a lot of typing.

15. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Charles Stiles, Mystery Diners

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    While I can't say that I like both shows all that much, but I find that RID is a little bit more enjoyable than Prime. While RID is a heavily flawed show like prime did, at least RID never pretended to be something that it isn't like Prime did. For me, RID is more about being fun, team-work between different peoples and it didn't takes itself way too seriously, which is something that I think Prime severely lacks as a show. RID also knows how to be actually serious appropriately when it need to be like with the "Exiles" episode.

No matter what people says, Prime isn't an awful show and there are some aspects of the show that I actually like; But at the same time Prime as a show feels incomplete, like some part of the show has lost in the development of the show during behind the screens. Prime as a show feels like a colossal waste of plot points with great potential (Like the orion Pax arc, Breakdown, MECH, and Dreadwing), the plot is a mess, the voice acting is also flat and atrocious (Espiecally Peter Cullen, which is so bad in his performance as Optimus), and the show as a whole just takes itself way too seriously. Prime as a show feels like the Sword Art Online of Transformers cartoons, and both of them also has some similarities in terms of the idea behind the show is way better that what we actually got. I like the animation and the soundtrack in both shows, but both of them are a big mess in terms of plot and execution. I didn't hate Prime, but I hate of how Transformers: Prime could'be been a great show, yet it didn't even came close.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

Prime was good for S1 and S2. In my mind, it's the absolute best since Beast Wars, by far. Then S3 came along to take an excellent season finale cliffhanger and run it into the ground in order to sell a Beast Hunters toyline (where 90% of the molds weren't even in the toon).

I'm still bitter about it...just because all that potential will never be realized. Instead we have 13 episodes of meandering crap.

• Like Like x 1
  17. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Is this even a question?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Animated.

In all seriousness, I'd say Prime. Not the greatest show for TF in my opnion (see above) but it had some really good moments, especially in regards to the cons. Starscream's entire arc was fun, as was his bromance with Knock Out. Megs had some good moments, and Soundwave was brilliant (and then he got nerfed in RiD)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime was beautifully animated and did a great job at keeping you into it.

RID had the personality of a dry wall.

20. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Prime managed to hook me all throughout the series. I kept on watching, I wanted to find out what will happen next.

No such luck with RID. I finished the first season and I'm not particularly motivated to watch the rest.
    I will give it credit for trying something different though.

• Like Like x 1