What's better? C.o.p.s, M.a.s.k, or Inhumanoids?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by star_ling, Jun 22, 2012.

1. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've started checking out cartoons from the 80's lately after reuniting with G.I. Joe, G1 and Jem and the holograms. They were better than I remember, with Jem being the best out of the group. So I decided to re watch a lot of these old series and maybe collect some dvd sets. As a kid I never caught the shows mentioned in the title, so I want to know which of the 3 would any of you recommend or should I just skip them altogether?

Too if you know where I can find the dvd's let me know. C.o.p.s is the only one I've ever seen.

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    all of those were cool.. Inhumanoids is the best....creepy but crazy cool story..

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I really liked all three, but only had MASK toys as a kid. I loved the concept of MASK and the toys were really neat considering.

That being said, I wanted some COPS toys so bad, but sadly never got any. Inhumans were neat too, but not really my deal.

4. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always heard people talking about the show, I'm going on a trip soon so I was going to load some shows on my tablet.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Inhumanoids was probably the most interesting of the three. MASK was okay. At least it had a cool core concept. COPS was terrible.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In terms of show? C.O.P.S. I would say. But holy hell was Inhumanoids unique for it's time, and willing to take a lot of ballsy risks with its content. The M.A.S.K. show was forgettable and really juvenile in terms of content, even though I LOVE the toys.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    M.A.S.K. for me. Even if the show could be a bit clunky. Had loads of the toys. Inhumanoids ran as a back-up strip in the UK Marvel Transformers comic and I saw the 'movie' on telelvision, only later seeing the rest of the series when it came to DVD a long while later. To be honest it was a bit boring to me. Although I know Inhumanoids had some toys I don't remember ever seeing any in stores here.

Never saw C.O.P.S. so I can't comment on that.

Personally I'd love to see Visionaries come back. Even if it didn't get a new toyline the storyline itself would still make for a good show/movie.
    Robotix had a pretty nice animated outing. That was also a back-up strip in the UK Marvel TF comic.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's weird how we all have different takes on this despite having some of the same complaints. For example, I would have said COPS was by faaaaaaaaaaar the most juvenile of the three, not MASK.

But I agree with you completely about Inhumanoids. It's not that it was the greatest show of all-time or anything, but it was really off-center and unique compared to other cartoons of the time.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    never really watched Inhumanoids. But between COPS and MASK, I'd choose MASK. Both have their moments. Scott and T-Bob can be annoying, but I've seen much worse. To me one of the best bits is the "Avengers assemble" moment where the team members are called in for the mission. They are always in the middle of their day job, get paged, and run off on the mission. It is hilarious at times because the mechanic might be working on a guys car, get paged, he simply hands the wrench to the guy and runs off. I'd love to do this in my day job.

COPS is a little more immature, but some ok stories. My fav was Buttons McBoomBoom. Guy looked like a 30's gangster corpse. Very pale and thin. He hated bugs. In one episode a moth annoys him, he just lets loose on it with his chest guns (twin machine guns pop out of his chest). He just demolishes the wall the moth landed on. The moth then just flies away.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I never thought any of them were juvenile, but I'll chalk that up to being a juvenile when I saw them, so...

11. darkunor

darkunor Banned

I'd say inhumanoids was the best one but certainly not the most entertaining one. It had all the makings of a great show, a good story, continuity, even some adult humor and some stuff in there you wouldn't be able to believe they got away with back then or will be able to get away with today but for some bizzare reason after 5 episodes or so I just begin to trail off and lose interest, don't know why, I just do! It's certainly one of the most underrated shows of the 80's.

Second for me is C.O.P.S, this show was awesome in a Thundercats way, more style than substance, catchy phrases and one-liners and a puns galore, top notch voice acting and character designs that made the characters very memorable. But like I said more style than substance, very entertaining. "It's crime fighting time"

M.A.S.K is the least favourite of mine and the weakest of these three in my opinion. The awesomeness of this show begins and ends in the toys!

12. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I might have to make a tally after all is said and done :lol  it's not as clear cut as I thought. I would say that some immaturity is fine since I have watched similar, but my lack of nostalgia for any of the franchises may make a difference.... Anyway I might try 5 episodes of Inhumanoids first to see how it holds up after, what 25 years?

Should I watch all 3 in order or are they somewhat episodic in nature?

13. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

At the time I thought Inhumanoids was the best thing since Transformers. It starts off great......... but sadly it really didn't have anywhere to go after the first 5 episodes. Inhumanoids has the best animation of the three.

COPS and MASK were both DIC shows, and they come with their inharent drawbacks. Great openings, and cheap animation for the actual show. Though MASK is consistatly passable.... but the stories (IMO) are bland. In small dosses MASK is kind of fun to watch.

If you are looking into 80's cartoons.... you need to check out the best of the best.... Mighty Orbots. After that, catch some episodes of Bionic Six. Neither of these are on DVD. You can find eps of Orbots on youtube, don't know about Bionic Six though.

As for DVDs.... I highly recomend you buy yourself a region-free DVD player. Because if you want 80's cartoons, a lot of them are only available in different region codes. Beyond that, there are bootlegs of almost every series, but you will have to do some digging to find them. There has also been a rise in official released 'manufacture on demand' dvds. Warner has put out shows like Thundarr, some Go-bots, and the second half of Silverhawks.

14. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

If you have to choose one ... Visionaries. It's better than those three combined imo.

But of those three, Inhumanoids is best, followed by MASK. COPS was okay, but not as good as the others.

I'd also highly recommend Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors and Dungeons & Dragons.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, Jayce was pretty good and even had slight continuity going, which was pretty unique for American cartoons at the time.

16. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    STOP THROWING CHILDHOOD MEMORIES AT ME!

A lot of those names are bringing back faded memories of those, I'll most shows at least once. On the sole criteria that they be truly truly truly outrageously eighties. I'll make a short playlist and may come back after watching episode 1 of each and write my thoughts. So keep em coming.

While were at it recommend me some quality 90's stuff too, though I remember those better.

17. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Batman Beyond, Men in Black: The Series, Godzilla: The Series, Animaniacs and Freakazoid!

MIB and Godzilla have all their episodes on Youtube.

18. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just checked out a scene from Mighty Orbots, MAN is that some slick animation. Story doesn't look too bad either, will definitely check it out.

19. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have seen and regularly watch all of those. 90's shows are so very, arguably, good that they may be better than 80's shows.

20. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I remember when Animaniacs came out, and to be honest, I never liked it. I think I was biased, because I hated that it more or less replaced Tiny Toons (which I watched constantly) at the time. The 90's really did have some great shows too: Bucky O'Hare, Mega Man, Sonic (Sat AM version), X-Men, etc.

I think as far as the those three 80's shows go: I liked Inhumanoids the best. I've honestly never been a fan of MASK and I dont really know why. I think COPS was cool, but it's definitely lacking on any kind of serious note. The episodes are more or less lame in terms of story and plot.

Spiral Zone was a really cool show that I think never gets any attention. The plot was down right freaky, and the storylines were even more bizarre.