What's after G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by squawkbox74, Sep 3, 2007.

1. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    For me as well.

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I kinda like the fact that there actual casualties of war. However, I think Prime should have stayed dead and they could have developed Rodimus more. He had great potential because of his inner conflict.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    All the series atfer G1 were pretty bad, except for BW and one or two episodes of RID. Then again, it's not like it's hard to beat G1, except in nostalgia.

4. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I'm very fond of Masterforce.

:duel 

5. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

wow, crybabies, imo g1 storlyine got so much better in season 3, I guess its a bit more adult maybe thats why I like it plus I like the fact that alot of it is not on earth. Makes it more interesting to me. Characters dying makes for a good story to bad wimpy kids back in the day couldnt handle it.
    also headmasters is good.

6. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I think that the problem was that the movie introduced way too many changes that seemed sudden and random. While I don't find season 3 characters to be not all that bad, I was also 4 years old when Seasons 3 and 4 were airing, so I was more familiar with Ultra Magnus, Galvatron, and the like, although I still knew who Megatron, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, etc. were.

Had more Season 1 and 2 characters been around as more prominent cast members, rather than supporting roles, I think that Season 3 would have been more widely accepted.

Also, had the shit not hit the fan all at once like in the movie, change could've been easier.

7. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Masterforce and Victory weren't Gundam-esque. Masterforce had humans BECOMING the Transformer, not piloting. BECOMING the Transformer. Victory went back to the old routes of stealing energy and thwarting a giant looming crisis.

Beast Wars summed up the G2 comics as well. I think it's considered the first Transformers series to incorporate a huge amount of the Marvel Comics elements.

8. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    To be perfectly frank, kids interests were changing.
    The prime time-slot that Transformers had held for a few years was replaced by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles believe it or not, and TF were exiled to a 7:30 AM time-slot. This was mere weeks after the Rebirth aired for the first time.

Kids embraced the turtles and forgot about the Transformers, it was a simple as that. It was sad watching it happen because I didn't like TMNT and I stuck by the Transformers regardless.

So blame the Turtles!!
    J/K of course. :tongue: 

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Wheel jack died in the movie but makes an appearance in Victory so there some justification to the belief that he was in stasis lock. But since it did not happen in USA contnuity many people feel he is dead. The main reason he appeared in Victory is because they had not gotten the movie in Japan yet I believe.

10. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    True, it as a writing mistake.

11. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Another thing about that is Action Masters helped push the line away from resuscitation. Until Beast wars.

Rebirth is the main diverging point in the japanese and american continuities. They didn't get he movie I believe till 91 or 92 if I remember right. And Prime just kept coming back, and then dieing. Zombie Prime...
    G1 had it's moments in season 3 and 4, but damn they just couldn't make up their minds half the time on stuff. Beast wars did a good job of picking up from it. Then beast machines. The japanese series have a lot of confusion in them (Primal being the original prime among more) so 2nd and neo kind of get confusing. Basicly, it was bastardized as bad as we did to their series recently. Even down to the impatience on episodes. (2nd, and neo, even RiD were all filler for japan inbetween BW seasons as their shows run longer than ours and they need more episodes. Then we did the same by rushing the armada cycle.)

Personally, I go
    Season 1
    Season 2
    Scramble City part 1,
    Movie (scramble city part 2 is just WTF, I don't even think they used a real script)
    season 3,
    season 4ish (I prefer to think of this as the tangent that lead to headmasters, as in the end 'off camera' everything is restored back to what it was.)
    Then Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Zone. In that order.
    Then we have Beast wars, with BW 2nd starting at pre transmetal beast wars, then neo alongside that time frame (transmetals in beastwars at the same time as neo's story is going on.) Then Beast machines. Which I'd prefer to ignore, due to the organic past it tries to give cybertron. (This is cybertron, not gobotron.)

The comics I tend to avoid, while I liked some aspects, I despised how they downgraded arcee and removed fembots from the mix. I'm grateful for beast wars in fixing that(well outright ignoring it).

Then RiD was a new universe, as was the 'unicron trilogy' of recent years. I'm highly looking forward to animated, it'll be nice to have real continuity and well written stories again.

There's also the 3 novels written based on the DW comic run of G1, while they aren't utterly the best, they do present some interesting ideas and nods that were shown in following series. (Franklin in cybertron, S7 in the movie etc.)

On a personal note, I have a hard time getting into headmasters and masterforce, but victory is fun. The whole pretenders aspect in Masterforce is just odd. And as someone else stated, the humans don't pilot robots, they ARE the robots in disguise. It kind of sets the stage for the beast wars tech, and size shifting. But to be honest the entire Ginrai isn't prime, and Apex armor is prime stuff throws me for a loop of all sorts of confused. I guess I need to finish watching it all.

12. hanwombat

hanwombat I'm not a Wombat really..

You see Arcee dragging Windcharger's body in Autobot City, Springer tells her to get a move on so she places him down and Wheeljack is lying there also

13. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Awww... I liked post movie Galvatron. They made him a different instead of just merely Megatron in a new body like how they played it in the movie. The lack of his relationship with Unicron dynamic post-movie would have made him really boring if he had remained sane, so his change in charatcer kept things interesting in the 3rd season. Sure, he ain't exactly the most well developed character or greatest Decepticon leader material, but he be CWAZY, and Crazy characters are real fun to watch. In my opnion, some of G1's greatest moments involved Galvatron, and the episode "Webworld" is definitely one of my favourites.

14. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

thanks all for calling me on having forgotten 1 or 2 things.

btw,there are actually 6 novels counting the 2 tied to the movie.i bought all 4 ibooks put out before dying.word is that foster has a third movie tie-in in the works,too.

15. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Completely agree. Season 3 superior, season 1 & 2 inferior.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think listing Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and Zone as coming after G1 is a bit misleading, since they're technically part of G1 in Japan. If just comes later than where US/UK G1 TV ended.

Anyway, after G1 is (in my best estimation of timeline order):

Binaltech (Japanese toy packaging stories, alternate G1 TV continuation)
    Kissplay (Japanese manga/audioplay, alternate {and awful} G1 continuation)
    G2 (Marvel Comics or Japanese manga, seperately)
    Beast Wars/Beast Wars Metals (US/Japanese TV continuities, IDW comics in US TV continuity)
    Beast Wars II (Japanese TV & manga)
    Beast Wars Neo (Japanese TV & manga)
    Beast Machines (US TV)
    BotCon/Universe Wreckers (comics set in US TV continuity, with aspects of Marvel comics amalgamated)
    Universe (multi-universe cross-continuity comic, based mainly on US TV continuity)

There are other TF lines and stories that came out after G1, but they aren't "what's after G1" as I interpret the question. :) 

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Headmasters.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Headmasters = G1. G1 isn't after G1.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    They should have (IMO) dubbed Headmasters with the voices and music from Rebirth.

Whether its the StarTV dub or the Japanese original, watching Headmasters is pretty dull. However, the liveliness of the voices and music from Rebirth really makes that three-parter.

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

YOu know technically no one actually says Wheeljack is dead, I mean we've all seen TFs take a harder beating then that and be just fine, thats just how I like to look at it though.