What's a guy to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Honestly not a bad idea for a young single guy. I know I looked into this option when I was going to school, but I was newly married at the time and really wasn't willing to hand my ass over to both the military and my wife at the same time.

Otherwise there has been some really good advice in this thread. Just keep you head up and keep pumping out the application. Sooner or later someone will say yes. It might be a shitty job, but it will help pay some bills until something else comes along.

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Marry some Canadian middle aged divorcee with enough money to take of you until you get on your feet....

3. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

He could make something up. :p 

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Well, 'gross negligence' isn't hard to prove if they did some act to trigger the firing. This can include security breaches, causing financial harm to the company or clients, or getting the company in legal trouble.

And even if there is no gross negligence, if it is an 'at will' state and you have done any minimal type of performance reviews, it is easy to show lack of quality.

Unemployment is for people who are laid off, not mouthy lazy employees who don't have a good work ethic. Usually if you fire someone, there is easily plenty of documentation on why, even if they worked for you for 8 years as I have seen employees go from 'great' to 'horrible' for various reasons and legitimately been fired because of it with no unemployment because of it. You don't get "I have been a good employee for 6 years so that off-sets my 2 years of piss poor performance."

Besides, any smart company gets people to quit before you have to fire them, no fuss, no muss. If you quit a job, you are not eligible for unemployment either.

But that is neither here, nor there. You can't get unemployment or any other government help unless you at one time held a job in good standing.

5. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I quit my last job, too much stress, too many people there smoked and a lot of stress at home. Went about 3 weeks with only sleep on the days I was off, my work hours were from 3pm to 1am and the commute took about an hour due to traffic. Would get home and try to get to sleep, my mom would barge into my room and wake me up and tell me all this stuff my dad had been doing since she kicked him. she didn't seem to understand it when i told her i had a job and i needed sleep, she kept me up all hours until i had to go to work then she gave me an attitude like i was abandoning her or something. She was being just an over all bitch, while i was at work she was either out shopping with her sisters or going to Wild Adventures, not making that up she really was.

work was awful, so many people there smoked and it was a call center so we were always busy. It was like trying to talk on the phone in a mall food court, so many people talking all at once you couldn't hear the person on the phone. Smokers got twice as many breaks as nonsmokers mostly cuz all the higher ups smoked too. Then there were truck problems, my truck started acting up, pedal to the metal and the truck would go about 10mph so i was late for work and late getting home until i got that fixed.

Gah I want a job.

My dad can't get unemployment cuz he retired from his last job and he owes creditors over $100,000.00 that he's not gonna pay back. He was even court ordered by a judge to pay them back and he still doesn't care.

To be honest, I wanna find a nice place away from my parents and start my own life without them constantly interfering and trying to use me as a weapon against each other.

6. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Then you have to be willing to do some extreme things to get away. I was homeless for damn near 2 years in order to get where I am now.

7. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

I guess I did then. Because I had Legal Aid on the phone during my "court appearance ". They knew they were in the wrong.
    I was fired right after my FMLA had ran out, which I shouldn't have been on in the first place.

When I was off sick and my employer sent a letter, Fed Ex.
    Which is not right.

8. nkelsch

How do you end up on FMLA without wanting to be on it?

Usually FMLA leave is unpaid, and if you are fired after it because they needed to fill your position, then that would be considered 'laid off' and you would be due unemployment. But they can still get rid of you. Being sick doesn't give you immunity from being let go in an at-will state.

And Unemployment is no picnic. You have to talk to an employment counselor weekly and have documented evidence you have attempted to get a job which they frequently check with companies to verify. If one of them screw up when they check, you could see your benefits dropped instantly. Also they often will force you to interview and take jobs if they have a match for you in their system, which if you do not take, you lose your benefits. Which they often schedule and expect you to show up without any question or checking with you to verify if you can make it (you are unemployed and available right?) And when it is all said and done, it is most times a minuscule amount.

It is almost a full-time job just to maintain unemployment.

9. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I got a friend in Canada, Toronto to be specific, that says he has a spare room I can stay in if I could move up there and that I could work for his company. All I need is a way to get up there.

10. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Then you better start Hitching brah.

11. nkelsch

Are you sure?

If you can't hop on down from Canada and work in the US, I am not sure that you can bounce on up to Canada and work there legally. Illegally immigrating to Canada to work off the books may not be a 'great' solution in the long run.

Have you applied to any schools? If you get accepted to college, it is not really that hard to get college loans to pay for it. (room and board included) Banks love giving college loans because they are almost guaranteed to be paid back. It isn't hard to get accepted to college, take out college loans and live off it for 4 years while you go to school. Of course you gotta pay it back but it sure beats 'rock bottom' that you seem to be at now.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sorry to hear MC, hope things look up for ya man

13. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Sorry to hear about that, Metal Chaos. Hopefully things will get sorted out.

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check into working in Canada legally. If it's possible, do day labor jobs (or hell, beg) til you get enough money to Greyhound yourself up there. Personally, I think it'd be a great way to start a new life. Oh, and unless you're posting from a library, you could sell your computer to use for traveling money as well. And if the computer is one of your parent's... good luck.

-Tony

15. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Man we're truely worlds apart when I'm reading this... so much difference on US and DK concerning those areas.

I hope you'll work it out.

16. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I know how unemployment sucks. I at least had supporting parents when it happened to me after the big dotcom crash. All I can say is take the advice on showing up in person. You've probably got a lazy employee answering the phone at wal-mart. I've seen it plenty of times (I work at one). There's not really a call center in the store, they just dump the calls off on the fitting room. If the person there is busy he/she will usually hang up or put you on hold until you give up. Try going down there in person. If yours is anything like mine, try applying for cart pusher. They're in desperately short supply. Cashiers too.

Don't give up at just one job, use shotgun theory. If you put enough lead out there, you'll hit something. Don't just hit the McD's run down the strip and hit BK, wendy's sonic or whatever else is in the area. Gas stations too. 24 hour stations always need someone for 3rd shift. You'll get shot at slightly less than in the army and it pays extra.

17. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I was gonna put my paypal donation thing up to see if anyone wanted to donate anything but I doubt anyone will.

Gonna call walmart tomorrow but the thing is i dont have a way to get there now, my dad owns my truck, he pays for the insurance on it and with his job gone he will lose insurance for it. I can't afford insurance and it's illegal to drive without insurance down here, cant get to work if i dont drive and i cant drive if i got no money or job and i cant drive especially if i have no truck. wow i am royally screwed.

Edit: I swear to god if i survive this and get married I'm never going to do this type of shit to my kids, I'll freaking be there for them and not try to profit off of them. The only reason my dad let me live with him was so he could quit his job and let me support him cuz i found out he did the same to my brother when he moved in. He quit his job after retiring and quit his second job at the car lot and made my brother pay all the bills.

Why wasn't i born into a decent family that doesnt abuse their kids or try to use them as weapons against each other?

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a master's--or will in a week or so--that was paid for by the service.

I own a home, which was made possible by the service.

I have excellent earning potential, which was made possible by the service.

I've seen the world, albeit some pretty shitty parts of it, because of the service.

Across the board, I'm more successful than the average 27-year-old, in large part because of the service.

What's so crazy about all that?

And look, for Metal Chaos, if you don't want to enlist, that's fine. But if you're casually ruling out an option that has worked for millions of Americans, then you don't really want to work.

19. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

My experience is that most families do this, just to varying degrees. Mine certainly does. Hence I don't have any contact with them.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm just sayin'...