What's a guy to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    So for the last year or so I have been looking for a job with no luck, put in applications everywhere from McDonald's to Walmart with no luck really. Been living with my dad since march in a 1 bed room apartment. I got a call back from walmart not too long ago, had an interview that went pretty well for someone who has only had 1 job in his life. 2 Weeks go by and I haven't heard anything so I call in, they tell me to call during mondays between 1pm and 4pm so I wait till monday and call.

First Attempt: rang 12 times so I hung up.
    Second Attempt: Someone picked up and hung up.
    Third Attempt: Someone picked up, said "hi this is walmart" asked my business then hung up on me.
    Fourth Attempt: I get the busy signal.
    Fifth Attempt: I get someone but the guy who handles things like hiring is gone for the day.

Then my dad gets home a few hours later and he has even more bad news:
    He got laid off.

He has a friend planning to send him a bus ticket to idaho and he's gonna let him live on his farm because he said he went to Florida Crown and they told him there aren't job openings, about the same thing they told me when I went. So he's going up there and I'm on my own on the streets as all my money was spent on rent and groceries and after a few months of that $14 is all I have left in my bank account.

The way our economy is most businesses are cutting back and letting employees go, it sucks but it's the cold hard truth. A lot of people in my town have been looking for work but can't find anything either, it seems hopeless.

Living on the streets seem imminent, what's a guy to do?

2. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to the real world buddy, i too have been looking for a job for over a year with no call backs at all. Yes the economy sucks so it's gonna be alot harder for anyone to find something new.

3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Why not see if you can move to the farm with your dad? That's assuming that he's going to be living there in exchange for work on the farm...there's always more work than just one person can handle on those, plus you can grow your own food which is a good skill to learn and makes basic living that much easier on the pocketbook.

--Moony

4. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

If you have been out of work for a year talk to a lawyer about getting your Social Security. I keep seeing them in commercials saying this.

It is worth a try.

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    You aren't member of an unemployment fund or something ?.
    I've been unemployed for 1½year, where the last year I've been in wage subsidy (?, I don't know what it's called in english, but it's governmental financed work at either private or public place).

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can always consider the military, even if only the Nat'l Guard or Reserves. Decent pay, great benefits, job training for the future, and money for college.

7. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

You only get unemployment if you are basically 'laid off'. If you are fired for being a fuck up or terrible employees, most companies will fight your unemployment claim and win simply because they don't want a hit on their unemployment insurance.

The job market is tough right now. This is why a good education is so important and IMHO, 2 years of college should be available to everyone. (and done through local government to help re-invest back into the local community) Having 2+ years of work experience or minimal education will increase the callbacks about 100%.

But I will say this, Blind resumes applying for jobs is not how people get jobs. Even as a company, we barley hire blind resumes, it is all referrals or contacts. It is all about who you know and social networking. That is something you can do with ZERO work experience or education. Simply meeting people and showing you are ethical and have a good work ethic opens so many doors.

If you can't get work experience, and you can't afford an education, VOLUNTEER FOR CHARITABLE WORK. You will meet so many people, many of which have connections, and if you are a hard worker and competent at your volunteering, people will be falling over themselves to refer your resume to people they know. And then you will get a REAL interview.

If you are unemployed, and are not out of your house 8 hours a day doing 'something' then you probably are unemployed for a reason. You would be surprised how easy it is to go around town in a suit and just introduce yourself to managers and give them your resume personally. many times people NEED employees but don't want to bother trying to hire and weed out bad employees because there are so many of them. Sometimes that 'hat in hand' please sir, I am a hard worker and really need a job, if you give me a chance you won't be sorry' goes a long way. It takes humility and people probably feel it is beneath them but hey.

Also: Two jobs that always exist and always need people.

*If you have any college:Special Education Instructional Assistant for public schools. These are state mandated positions that legally have to exist. You make between 12-14$ an hour, and usually get health benefits. You may do anything from being a personal helper to a handicap kid to changing diapers of mentally handicapped high schoolers. It is a hard but good job that is stable and pays well.

*If you have no college education: Services for a state or local park. Every park needs the following things done every day. Cutting grass, cleaning bathrooms. And they cannot hire illegal immigrants to do it due to state unions usually. Hard work, no one wants to do it, and usually this is the work 'criminals' do for community service. But they pay people to do it if they could find anyone. Besides being a decent job, there is always room for advancement in most park systems as they are part of the local government unions and system. Plenty of room to move to a office job.

Both these jobs pay salaries based upon real money, not credit like most businesses.

8. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would sign up at the local temp firms in your city. Yeah, it's shit work, but if you do a good job, it can easily lead to something more permanent.

9. sketchprowl

sketchprowl freak of nature

Try applying to be a security guard, not excellent work but it's an expanding industry with all the crime about. I was a security guard for nine years before I got my current job, granted this is in UK. But if my step brother can do it in Texas (the guy thinks world war two was in the 1960's) I'm sure you'll have no problems.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Call Centres. They're not great work, but they're usually looking for people and they're a good temporary solution while you look for a better job.

11. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

:crazy: 

Of course, they are going to say someone wasn't a good employee to save and cover their butts. If you're smart you will get Legal Aid to help you.

Like I did. How can you say someone was a bad employee after employing them for almost eight years? :drunk 

I was discriminated against. He will get his eventually.

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're having trouble getting even a minimum wage job? I've done some hiring for this sort of thing in the past. Some people don't even make it past asking for an application before I've made up my mind. I don't have minimum expectations just because it's a minimum wage job.

Try the following:
    Show up like you're expecting to be interviewed when you ask for the application. Not necessarily a full suit, but a button down shirt and dress pants. Have a pen and your list of references ready to go- show them you're prepared to get the job. Don't come with a group of friends, and don't show up with other applications in hand. Show that you're coming to that place of business with the sole intention of getting a job.

Ask what their hiring process is, and ask if you should call in a few days. At my work, we get in 50 or 60 applications a week, and calling us really doesn't help your chances. Calling more than once makes us look for your application and put it in the 'No' file, as you are clearly someone who can't follow directions.

Should you get called for an interview, tailor your responses to interview questions to the company's point of view. The answer to "Why do you want to work here?' is not 'Well, I really need a job somewhere." Try something like, 'I've always liked the way that <insert company> does <insert thing company does>, and think I could be a valuable asset to your customer service." Speak in proper English and complete sentences. Don't be afraid to pause a second or two to consider your responses1. Be friendly, but formal.

Be available when needed. When we're looking at hiring at the movie theatre, we almost never even interview someone not available to work Friday nights or all day Saturday, as those are our busiest times of the week. If you're applying for some sort of janitorial position, be available til late in the evening, or all night if necessary, as that's when janitors get most of their work done.

Hope that helps.

13. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Move into the woods and live off the land.

14. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    That is for disability, friend.

15. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

You could take up bank robbing....

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Did you try banks? Banks are always hiring and decent to work for!

17. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Particularly after you have robbed them...

18. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I have a high school education but nothing past that. Was hoping to get the job at walmart, get an apartment with a room mate and go to college but that plans looks to be a bust.

19. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Move out of BFE Florida into a larger city. You have a better chance at getting a starter job in larger metro areas than in the swamp.

20. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    How would I do that? Can't afford to drive anywhere and my dad legally owns my truck now so I can't sell it or take it. So I'm pretty much stuck here. I was wanting to move to somewhere like Toronto or Winnipeg though just cuz there's lots of jobs up there but I'm not sure how I'd pull that off.