Customs: Whats a good starter kit for custom TF

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by samsworkshop11, Jan 3, 2010.

1. samsworkshop11

samsworkshop11 Member

New into the custom ... but I wanna give it a shot.
    I'm handy I can find or figure out most how-to custom and or look at what others have done... but I wanna purchase a new set of paints and brushes ect.
    What do some of you use? a base starter kit of colors brands and brush brands and anything else useful. such as a specific soap or cleaner you use when you heat of the plastic in hot water and scrub the existing seal coat off.

lmk please thanks !!!

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    look through the tutorials in radicons they are a great place to start!

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    games workshop has good brushes, i use their paints as well, but i wouldn't recommend them for anything you are going to handle a lot

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I only have one tip: Use automotive varnish. Anything else i've tried, the paint still flakes off.

Granted, i live in Australia, where Future isn't sold, so i have no experience with that, but i know others here who would swear by it.

I second the recommendation of GW paints, but i would say find out for yourself what you like. Personally, i use a combination of brands. Liche Purple is a great shade, mind you.

@brr-icy: I have a custom in front of me topcoated almost exclusively in GW paint, and the automotive varnish keeps everything fine. And this mold has a lot of rub issues.

5. samsworkshop11

samsworkshop11 Member

thanks i'll look into all that info .

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Tutorials were created in part for the very reason of this thread! Read up, and also search through a few customs threads here to see what strikes your fancy. I also think a really good way to start out is take a figure that is not relatively expensive for your first project so that if the first project doesn't turn out quite like you want, your loss isn't that great. Get some junk figures to try some painting techniques out on as well.

You've got a wealth of resources at your disposal here. If you hit a snag, simply post a thread here and ask for advice. There are a great number of artists here more than willing to help you out. Also, feel free to post a "work in progress" (wip) thread so garner interest and advice as well.

I wish you all of the very best on your endeavors :thumb 

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Yeah, SQ7's right. Go look at the customs here, and if there's one you like, i think people would help you out with it.