What's a good deal on these? Masterpiece Grimlock, Reissue Metroplex

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Armoredrah, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

I'm looking at some figures I'm interested in and I just wanted some feedback from other fans about what I should be willing to pay for said figures.
    First off, Masterpiece Grimlock, I've found him for $120 for the Hasbro version and $180 for the Takara version. I know the differences in the two and the only one that bugs me is the gold paint on the Hasbro toes and shoulders instead of the gold chrome. I could go either way on all the other things, but I like that gold chrome.:dunce  So, are these good prices, or should I keep shopping around? Also, anyone want to throw in reasons to go with one or the other?

Next, I found Encore Metroplex for $100. Seems fair to me, but I need a little push in the right direction and some words of encouragement to let me know it's really worth it.

Thos were the only two I wanted feedback on, but if anyone can give me some similar info on the reissue Seacons $60, Omega Supreme $120, and Skylynx $70, that would be a big help.

I also hope I haven't posted this in the wrong place, if I have, I apologize.

2. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

If you really want grimlock get the tru version. I have both and to me the gold color on the figuires isn't worth the price difference. If my son didn't play with the hasbro one I wouldn't keep the takara version. I guess that a good price on metroplex. I was a big fan of him and wanted him reissued but I can't justify the price when there are mps I need to get. Not sure about the seacons but same with megs an sky. I picked them up when they first came out and I'm happy with my purchase. Good display pieces. I hope this helps.

3. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I just got MP-08 Grimlock for $165 from BBTS (preordered back when he was still that price, so I locked in the lower rate). Probably doesn't help you much there (barring a trip to Japan or something), but Grimmy is one nice figure!

I'm sure the price and paint different between MP-08 and TRU Grimmy aren't worth it in hindsight, but I just dig the Japanese releases more on my MPs (generally speaking). The box alone is VERY impressive (darn thing is huge) since he's boxed in robot mode (TRU Grim being boxed in dino mode, which is more compact).

But aside from the gold chrome difference, I also think MP-08 is missing the silver-bordered red stripes on his biceps and some silver painted accents on his thighs, while TRU Grim has these. Just comes down to your budget and aesthetic preferences, but the gold chrome is glorious, I must say!

Not sure if TRU Grim comes with the dopey accessories MP-08 has like his cloth apron, little black bow tie, chrome serving tray with plug-in plastic glasses, and that brain transfer device helmet thing. I think TRU Grim does have his crown, but you can always get the separate add-on set for him if price is no object (I might pick it up myself; it includes a beer mug and a tiny Thrust in jet mode as a dino chew toy.... his tail-head-thrashing gimmick has to work with something in his mouth to look right XD).

Metroplex.... I never had the toy and was never a fan, so I can't say anything about it one way or the other.

4. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    1) Yes.

2) No. I've never even taken the tray, apron, mind transfer thing out of the box. But if i didn't have them, i'd wish i did.

3) I think the MP08 Upgrade set may have gotten a little scarce?

5. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Oh cool, I was wondering about the differences just for the sake of curiosity (but was too lazy to search for it XD). The dopey accessories are fun for a laugh, I guess, but aren't that big a deal in the end. The gold chrome is where it's at, though. As for the upgrade kit, BBTS still has 'em for $15. I just bought one not 15 minutes ago and it's sitting in my PoL now. XD

6. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Are you looking for MISB or is MIB acceptable?

I paid $65 for MIB encore Metroplex a little while ago, hell I paid $25 shipped for a MIB Skylynx shipped last year. If you're going to open them I suggest looking at MIB stuff. Especially for the worthless stuff like Skylynx!

7. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I don't have the Takara MP Grimlock, but I do love the Hasbro version. I think it's terrific, and my favorite among the MP's thus far.

$100 for Encore Metroplex is pretty solid. FWIW, I paid the same amount. He's a cool toy. Would love to see an updated, articulated version of Metroplex someday.

8. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Loose and complete is fine with me, since they would be opened for display anyway and 75% of the time the boxes get ruined one way or another. I'm sure on ebay I could run into these at lower prices, but I haven't used eBay in years, it's just easier for me to grab them at decent onlne stores or from Amazon. Of course if anyone has these and is thinking about selling them, let me know.:thumb 

Money isn't really a big deal, I ust don't want to feel like I got ripped off later on. That's my main reason for asking you guys what seems like a fair price and what doesn't.

9. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If MIB and loose complete are fine with you start searching the junkion exchange here! You should be able to find what you're looking for.

10. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

I been searching. LOL I've found some good deals on some of the figures I want, but the big ones like this, not so much luck.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
  12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Wouldn't the gold chrome on Grimlock be a bad thing long term? Chrome tends to fade quicker, and that's the reason I've stayed away from Henkei versions of the Classics characters

13. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Honestly, I wouldn't mind TRU's Grimlock. Dude is just as fine..

14. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    For play, I can concede this point. But as a (pose only) display piece in an adult collector's care, I don't see this being too much of an issue.

15. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

I've hit a snag, the place I was gonna order from doesn't take paypal. Only credit or debit cards and I have neither, so looks like I'm still searching. LOL

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Good lord, is that what they're going for now?

I got Metroplex for $12 and Omega for $20 when HLJ was clearancing out their Encores something like three years ago.

17. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Yeah.... You lucked out man. I never get that lucky. LOL

18. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

I've found Encore Metroplex for $85, but the MP Grimlock I'm thinking about is $210, including shipping, but it's the Takara version and comes with the iGear set, what do you guys think? Should I bite the bullet or wait for a better price?

19. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I'm assuming you've looked at all the obvious contender sites, but i'm thinking that's kinda steep.

.,..and on the other post, i'd honestly wonder about any site that doesn't take Paypal these days (?)

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Make damn sure the Encore Metroplex you're looking at isn't the KO Encore Metroplex.