What's a deal breaking quality for a figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Liege Prime, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see a lot of people have various reasons they don't like figures, but sometimes there's one key feature that can ruin something. So, I was just wondering what will make someone just instantly not like a toy?

For me, it has to be arm articulation issues. I can deal with a limited range- such as Classics Rodimus or Animated Blurr, but when a figure doesn't have elbow joints, like a lot of FABs, that's just not something I can accept. This isn't too big of an issue lately UNTIL RotF, where Megatron, Rampage, and a lot of the FABs have some arm issue or another. I think this stems back from G1, where all I really wanted in terms of articulation is the ability to point their guns forward. Of course my standards are a little higher now. I can also deal with lack of leg articulation as long as long as they can stand well.

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Weak connections between parts that are intended to hold together tightly and that, as a result, make the figure fragile, floppy or unstable. The connections on TF1 Deluxe Brawl's shoulders or damn near every connection on E-Slugslinger would be good examples.

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends for me. Most of the time its waiting for a better version to come out. Sometimes its scale (animated activators seekers) sometimes its colors (rotf voyager ironhide)

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Coming with a figure of Mikaela.

5. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Scantron mentioned loose connections between pieces, but I think it's far worse when they don't even make an effort to connect the pieces (RotF Soundwave is a recent example). IMO there's just no excuse for that.

6. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

loose legs

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When a TF is so floppy/has loose connections that it becomes clear it wasn't designed to be posed in an environment with gravity. TF1 Deluxe Brawl and most Titaniums are guilty of this.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

REALLY bad paint apps (we're talking smudges of paint that are nowhere near where they should be or even in colors that the toy doesn't have) tend to piss me off most of the time, but usually I can't find fault in almost any figure (hell, I LIKE Armada Sideswipe).

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

If its a small character with a ridiculous, disproportionately large figure (think Beast Machines Nightscream or Ratrap here) I typically hate it. Movie Ratchet somehow fell into this category for me, if only for him being bigger than Ironhide, and way too large next to Megatron. Articulation can be an issue, but it's got to be really bad; I grew up on G1, after all.
    Looseness and floppiness are another button for me, but it can be hard to tell before you buy the figure.

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    when a figure is missassmbled (aka two of the same fist and crap)......f you hasbro, f you

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if I already like a figure enough to consider buying it, I'm gonna buy it. the only thing that could make me change my mind is if its on fire when I go to purchase it.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's just it though- I kinda meant a design quirk, not so much a QC issues. Something that would make you not even consider getting it. Bad arm articulation is an example, or maybe you don't like shell formers, or parts formers, or having disproportionate limbs, or a lot of kibble, or lights and sound gimmicks, stuff like that. If I like a figure, I'll get him, but if I know from early pics that he has no elbow joints (like Rampage) I won't at any point actually like the figure.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    see, I'm not picky enough for that stuff to bother me. I own bricks, I own shell-formers, I own stuff with tons of kibble.

nothing design-wise is ever a deal breaker for me. if I like the look of it, I buy it. dont care if it cant be posed. dont care if it's a floppy mess. I buy it.

I'm gonna get supreme devastator and deluxe arcee. I like them.

I'm a very forgiving fan.

I like armada sideswipe and smokescreen, for crying out loud.

14. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    It really depends on the price point, and in some cases what the figure is intended to be and do.

For instance, Head Articulation is a big sticking point for me. However, on a scout class, or a deluxe that otherwise does other things well, I will tolerate a complete lack of head articulation. But I will NOT tolerate it on a Leader class or larger.

Generally the more I spend on a figure, the more I expect and the less I tolerate compromises that impact basic poseability.

Poseability isn't always the hallmark of a good figure, but... really, these days if a figure doesn't have the normal collection of joints, it's just because someone got lazy with the design, or they cut them to cram in another completely pointless electronics box.

But really, it varies from figure to figure. Devastator has most of the poseability you want as far as joints go, but still comes off as a giant BRICK. Mostly what kills him for me is the extremely skimpy paint apps, which render him looking like a collection of lego blocks (some weathering or blackwash or even detail painting would have done wonders for the guy)

Rampage I accept even though his poseability is extremely limited, because he's such a unique little fellow, and because they found a shade of orangey-yellow for him that doesn't obliterate all the nicely sculpted detail.

I guess I can't quantify it too well... if a figure has CHARACTER, I can forgive a lot of stuff, but if he's really expensive and/or feels like a half-assed attempt, my tolerance for it's faults rapidly diminish.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

I don't care about articulation, transformation complexity or any of that stuff. I buy Transformers because of their looks and/or what character it is. Nothing more.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If there is a better variant, like dark breakaway.

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Movie line has caused me to break one rule I'd had, which was 'only buy characters who are actually in the film/cartoon.' Then I saw Scout class Knockout, loved the paint job and look of it, made up excuses not to pick him up, kept seeing him everywhere...and finally broke down and got it. So now it's a tweaked rule of 'only buy characters who are actually in the film/cartoon...unless they're repaints turned into G1 characters (Movie Cliffjumper and the Seeker repaints)...or unless it really catches my eye (Knockout). I won't buy Movie Inferno from the first movie line because the robot mode looks like an afterthought, despite a nice alt. mode.

I'm still real hesitant about characters that transform into animals. I can handle robot animals like Scorponok, Ravage, the Dinobots, etc. Cheetor, Blackarachnia, Waspinator, and Beast Wars/Classics Dinobot? Not so much. I just don't dig them for my collection.

Speaking of G1 characters in particular...I've never liked the original Galvatron, Cyclonus or Scourge figures (the faces and designs of the robot modes bug me, even if the alt. modes look nice to me), so if they get reissued I'll pass. As for newer molds of each, it better knock my socks off (Classics Cyclonus...cool in every sense) rather than underwhelm me (Classics Galvatron being too small, the wrong alt. mode, and looking all clunky in robot mode).

I don't mind electronics (I ended up picking up the Ultra class Classics figures after passing on them initially and am glad I bought them since they all look really nice in alt. and robot modes and the electronics don't get in the way for me). I'm not big on keys or weird random things like that, so that's why I've passed on Classics Voyager Blades.

A lot of examples, I know, but it's hard to explain in detail. Each figure is a case-by-case basis, though it's easier to decide considering I do like the look of a lot of figures that come out (and others grow on me in time, even if I didn't like them initially).