What're some good Xmen comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DaggersRage, May 23, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, I dont read a whole lot of Marvel comics, but I want to though. I like the X-men but the few comics I've read dont seem like they're good adventures. I've read volume 1 & 2 of Ultimate X-men and thats it and some trade of Astonishing X-men.

I like the idea of the X-Men. A breed of humans suffering from prejudice and the elite team that try to defend the world from rogue mutants that dont help the slander.

I would really like to read on stuff about Cyclops and/or Colossis. Cyclops my fav because he is the asshole of the team. Anyone suggest any volumes or trades that point to that?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Read the Claremont tpbs of Uncanny X-men those are the X-men at their finest. Other than that I suggest the early stuff during Morrison's run on New X-men 113-126.

3. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Giant Size X-Men #1, Uncanny 94-278/279, X-Men Vol 2, 1-3. Ignore the rest :D 

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yeah, the original Claremont run is pretty much the definitive X-Men. I'd add in the first 53 issues of New Mutants, though, which was really excellent.

Morrison's stuff is good, but not necessarily for everybody. I rather liked what I've read of it, but I can see how others wouldn't.

5. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Age of Apocalypse Alpha & Omega, Amazing X-Men, and Astonishing X-Men, which took place during the AoA run. There's also the Days of Future Past saga, and last but not least the Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men #1-6.

6. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    issue #200 of X-Men is coming out soon .... do I need to have read 1 through 199 to understand it all? I want to get 200 but would like to know what I am reading about... is there a certain issue that this series starts with where I do not need to have read all of them?

7. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Some trades you might want to grab...

The Dark Phoenix Saga: Recenlty reprinted, often touted as the essential X-Men story. Not my personal favorite, but still very good with a healthy focus on Cyclops and Phoenix (duh).

Days of Future Past: My favorite of the Claremont/Byrne run and a truly good story, featuring the X-Men, Sentinels and the Brotherhood at their finest.

New X-Men E for Extinction and Imperial: My favorite of Morisson's run on New X-Men. Imperial caps the arc off nicely and is a good stopping point if you want to avoid that Xorn/Magneto/Xorn/Magneto crap. If you can get past the leather outfits and Frank Quitely's hideously deformed art, you should love it.

X-Men Mutant Genesis: A bit more of a nostalgic love for this one, but it collects the first arc of Jim Lee's classic X-Men volume with lots of Magneto and Omega Red to keep you happy.

Fatal Attractions: The trade is currently out of print, but a great read if you can find it. One of the best Magento stories ever written with some consistently great art and fantastic character work for Colossus, Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine etc. Good stuff.

8. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

jumping in fresh to any marvel book is pretty hard right now because so much is happening. even if you're only wanting to read xmen, i would say start at "avengers disasembled". IMO that got the ball rolling on most of the major things in the current "616" books

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix trade. One of my favorite Summers family stories.

If you are a fan a Cyclops you will either hate Morrison or like it. Personally I hated it.

And if you want to get the most X-Men bang for your buck:

Essential X-Factor Vol. 1

Essential X-Men Vol. 1-7

Inferno and X-Cutioner's Song are also two storylines that spotlight the Summers family.

Fatal Attractions for Colossus, one of my favorites as well.

And you MUST read Dark Phoenix if you haven't read it.

10. DrSpengler

Claremont's style of writing takes a little getting used to. The man was a fountain of great ideas back in the day, but his dialogue and overuse of narration can make some/most of his stories a chore to read at times.

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is kind of like "Bizarro Caremont". He recycles and rehashes a lot of old ideas, mostly fromthe Claremont years, and doesn't really bring much new to the table. However, his dialogue is so snappy and fun it makes the whole book.

I didn't mention "X-Cutioner's Song" as I hadn't read it in a while and I'm a lttle on the fence as to whether I liked it or not. On the bright side, it heavily features the Summers family and was one of the big X-Men event titles back in the day. On the downside, it heavily features Stryfe and Cable, which aren't my favorite characters in the X-Men universe.

There's one hilarious scene, though, where Stryfe has Scott and Jean prisoner (he thinks he's their orphaned son). He comes in and talks to them normally and elegantly. Then out of the blue he starts cramming food down their throat, screaming "Is this how you feed a baby!? IS IT!? IS IT!? But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you!!?!" Then he regains his composure and leaves, and Scott and Jean are like "WTF was that all about?"

11. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

x-men can rot in hell

there are no good x-men comics...

i just don't care for them...
    seriously,try other marvels--if u liked ult. x-men,try the rest of ultimate marvel:
    spidey,ff,ultimates...

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    All "Age of Apocalypse" stories. Dark, gritty, and jaw-dropping.

Shoot, the first issue of the series (Alpha) has Bishop climbing over a pile of rotting bodies in the heart of Seattle.

13. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I'm not a Marvel guy, but Age of Apocalypse was pretty bad-ass. Of course, I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic (no pun) type stories.

14. DrSpengler

I'm reading "Mutant Massacre" right now and it's really pretty good. One of the few classic era X-Men stories I hadn't read. Most of the worst violence happens off panel, but it's pretty dark for a mainstream comic from the 80's (lots of kids getting murdered).

Gonna go for the Age of Apocalypse trades next, as when it was originally happening I only managed to pick at it with a handfulof random issues here and there and never read the whole story.

An expensive endeavor, though. There's, what, 4 trades at $29.99 a pop?

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    OK. Thanks for that.
    Meanwhile...
    Go read
    The Dark Pheonix Saga
    The Fall Of The Mutants
    Marvel Mutant Massacre
    Inferno
    X-tinction Agenda
    and pretty much ignore anything after about Uncanny 300 or so. They go downhill from there.

16. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    HEY! The first six issues of Astonishing were great! And the Rise and Fall of the Shiar is surprisingly good. Deadly Genesis was pretty good, and New X-Men has been confusing, but a nice read since the Kyle and Yost took over.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar was great. That scene where Havok and his brother go apeshit on each other? Beautiful.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar was okay, but not all that wonderful. It managed to keep it's pace up through twelve issues, which is always nice (and apparently really hard for some writers to do. I'm looking at you, Joss Whedon). But in the end it feels like nothing was really accomplished. Vulcan is still out there leading the Empire and Lilandra and the Starjammers are leading a resistance (again. You'd think Lilandra would eventually get sick of this crap and just abandon the Shi'Ar for good). The most annoying part for me, though, is the fact that my three favorite members of the Uncanny team just got stranded in space for the foreseeable future (especially Rachel, whose return is what got me reading the X-Men books again in the first place).

19. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

Claremont is what got me into the Xmen, him and Jim Lee. Great reads though

The hardest time i have ever had reading Claremont were his novels. But i think having good art helped his stories move better

agree'd

20. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I would have to say to start it off and I'm really sursprised no one has said it, but the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams run from 58-65(?). It set up the whole savage land/magneto/sentinel stories that Claremont/millar used in there uncanny and ultimate x-men runs. That run also introduced one of my favorite characters Havok! It also intoduced sauron,sunfire, and add the real threat of what sentinels are capeable of. It is available in hardcover form in marvel masterworks x-men volume 6. I agree with everybody else uncanny 94-280 is pretty solid besides the stuff 214-220, and alot of 246-265. the claremont/paul smith run uncanny x-men 164-175 is very good and very underrated. There is a tpb that is out of print collecting most of it called from the ashes. Whendon/cassaday first arc on astonishg xmen nodded to this run alot. After 280 though I would have to say I liked the run by Whilce Portacio 281-290 fairly well because it had the first talk of the infamous xmen"traitor" which was hinting to be gambit. After that it was a very dull book for a year or so till about issue 300 when romita jr come back on art and fatal attractions started, then it dull again and Joe madueria came on as artist and put a fun style on the title. I felt the issues he drew were very fun. His last issue was 350 the trial of gambit and after that to me uncanny hasnt been good till the current Brubaker run. I just cant get into careys xmen run though...I dont know whats going on because of the visuals alot of the time. I think Bachalo is a good artist but I am lost in some of his panels. They do have a cool team though. I love astonishing mainly for the excellent work of my favorite artist John Cassaday and the old school xmen lineup it features. All of the age of apocalyspe stuff is very good as well all you need is the complete volumes which run $29.99 apeice and there are four of them. If you want to find tpbs at a cheap price I suggest....www.talesofwonder.com That is where I buy all my trades from.