Whatever Happened To The Movie Franchise Writers' Room Trend

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, May 14, 2018.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Whatever Happened to the Movie Franchise Writers’ Room Trend?

Good read. The important bit from the write-up:

Not all movie franchise writers’ rooms have been so fruitless. In 2015, Paramount tapped Goldsman to lead a group tasked with developing a larger Transformers franchise, which also could eventually be crossed over with other Hasbro properties, most desirably G.I. Joe. That team consisted of Robertson-Dworet, again, plus Penn, Pinker, Beer, Ken Nolan (Black Hawk Down), Christina Hodson (Unforgettable), The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman, and the teams of Andrew Barrer and Gabriel Ferrari (Ant-Man and the Wasp) and Art Marcum and Matt Holloway (Iron Man). And at least two features came to fruition out of their efforts.

One of the team’s scripts was for last summer’s Transformers: The Last Knight. Nolan and Marcum and Holloway wound up with the screenplay credits, while Goldsman joined the trio as one of the named writers of the story. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of the writers’ room had input. The Last Knight is such a crazy movie with so much going on that it feels like a patchwork of too many ideas. Some good, some terrible. The whole thing is so ludicrously thrown together with its Transformers throughout history nonsense and its batshit robot butler and its too many human characters that it reminded me of the Key & Peele sketch parodying the brainstorming (“not brain-drizzling”) process for Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

At least Gremlins 2 — the script for which is credited to just one person, Charles S. Haas — is more brilliantly handled as a kind of self-spoofing smorgasbord of hilariously cartoonish horror comedy. Though it wasn’t financially successful. Similarly, the Michael Bay-helmed The Last Knight, the fifth in the series, wound up a domestic box office disappointment and even made the least amount of money overseas of any of the Transformers movies. Unsurprisingly, by the end of last summer, the franchise’s writers’ room was no more.

The other movie to come out of that endeavor still has yet to come out. Bumblebee, a prequel spinoff focused on the titular Autobot and set in the 1980s, is due this December. Scripted by writers’ room member Christina Hodson, it’ll be the first Transformers movie not directed by Bay (instead Laika’s Travis Knight is at the helm), and it is expected to be a lighter and smaller effort for the brand. Beyond that, Bay has teased there being more than a dozen other good ideas that came out of the teamwork of Goldman’s group.

But who knows what Paramount has cooking for the future of Transformers and whether the franchise will cross over with ROM, M.A.S.K., G.I. Joe, and the rest of the Hasbro Cinematic Universe? There’s no sign of the third project that was to come out of the writer’s room, the animated, Cyberton-set Transformers One scripted by Barrer and Ferrari. Maybe after the disappointment of The Last Knight, the studio doesn’t want to remind audiences of that Transformers-spawning planet.

• Like Like x 3
  2. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    I can only predict an Infinity War like event in 2022 where G. I. Joe, M.A.S.K, Micronauts, R. O. M and Visionaries will join Optimus Prime and the Autobots to defeat Unicron.

Beyond that, it's unlikely (until this moment) that we'll see the sequel to TLK. But we can never tell.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I have no earthly idea how that could ever come to fruition.

• Like Like x 5
  4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    Hmm interesting. It's kind of a shame that they couldn't do one last movie to complete the story.

I was thinking earlier how quiet everything will get after the Bumblebee movie comes and goes. Unless they change their mind and get another movie in the works soon, we could go another 5 or more years without any news at all. If we thought those three year gaps between DOTM, AOE, and TLK were rough, this is going to be just terrible.

5. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

I also wouldn't be surprised if the writers tossed out things from the previous four movies they didn't like.

Cogman was fine I thought. Too many human and robot characters as well as Transformers history contradicting previous lore were bigger problems. Going from the Knights almost all having been caught by Lockdown to suddenly being on the bottom of the sea on Earth with no mention of them having escaped Lockdown or something like that at least? Yeah, things like that were bigger issues.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SimbaTron

SimbaTron Black Transformers fan

News Credits:
    5 years or more is way too long I'll be 24 by the time the New movie comes out:( 

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I'll be 26! (Assuming it comes out in 2022) It's pretty crazy when I think about it that way!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    Pfft, I'll be 42 by then.

• Like Like x 2
  9. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    Hah, I'll be 43 :-D

• Like Like x 2
  10. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’d only be 33.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

No. No it is not. The movies got the end of its story as a gigantic flaming car crash of bad ideas and that was the ending it deserves. Make way for something actually new for a change.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SilverOptimus

News Credits:

This is my biggest concern about TLK. As soon as I saw the updated app with the revised 'Story So Far...', I knew that the Writers' Room had tried to do a Universe of their own and ignored all previous movies as much as possible. There were enough mythos in them for a whole bunch of new movies. There was no need to invent new stories. Heck, all the statements from AOE Lockdown was enough for 10 more movies.

One might argue that they included Quintessa. Yes, but Quintessa was addressed in singular. One Creator, whereas Lockdown mentioned Creators. Therefore implying that Quintessons (in plural) were involved. How cool would it have been to see the Five Faces Of Darkness. With 5 judgmental sides, it would have turned out to be an interesting and unique villain than the average villain that is Quintessa.

Lockdown talked about the Knights but these Knights he talked about were Dinobots. If the info I heard was correct, there was a major [abandoned] backstory to the Dinobots. So was the Silver Knight concept where the Sword Of Judgement grants the powers of the legendary Silver Knight and the control over the Dinobots to whomever that is worthy to possess it. This was again an abandoned concept which didn't went into the movie, but we got to see Concept Art and Backstory of it, which was really cool. (Which led me to adopted it as my new Username).

We don't know what happened to these wonderful concepts when the Writers' Room brainstormed. TLK was not the true sequel to AOE. TLK's story was never a part of the 'Knight Trilogy' which would have been the TF5 and TF6. TLK was unique to a new universe. A new mythos. But I do have a feeling that there may have been pitches to what would have been TF5 and TF6. Lockdown's statements and Optimus' words in the end meant that the idea of a sequel and the [future] story was already mapped out.

True, there were come amazing ideas which came out of the Writers' Room. And I commend all the hard work the team did. But after the devastating domino effect of the TLK's failure, we may never see them again. During the production of TLK, something went horribly wrong. We just don't know what it is.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found this paragraph the most telling:
    Note to Hollywood: movies are not two-hour episodes of a TV series. The paragraph after this one goes on to point out that Marvel's cinematic universe has never had a writer's room, just a showrunner, so it should have been obvious from the beginning that a writer's room is not a recipe for guaranteed success. The secret of Marvel's success has got to be Feige and his unerring ability to match talent with material. Hasbro should be so lucky to find another studio head of his caliber.

• Like Like x 6
  14. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still hope for a Transformers 6.
    That would be a Masterpiece. I saw Infinity War. But I liked The Last Knight more. I don't know what it was, but after The Winter Soldier I lost interest in Marvel. The Winter Soldier is still my favorite after that there was hasn't been another Marvel Film that gave me that same feeling. Don't know why?

15. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Yep. That article is all sorts of awesome. It touches on subjects which are ignored by Hollywood. I mean, whenever proper criticism came to such Universes the studios just put fingers in their ears and said "La la la la la, I can't hear you. If Marvel can do it, so can we". Now they are paying the price.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Necrisha

Necrisha Creative, vindictive-possibly a deception.

Marvel had a hell of a lot more than that going for it, up to and including many omnibus books on comic story arcs and revisions of story arcs that were backed by outright sales figures and critical reviews by both 'writing professionals' and their own fanbase, at least a couple beloved cartoon series, and dozens of experiments over a much longer time period than Hasbro. Marvel was always about selling a story first, then a toy. Hasbro is the opposite. As long as they don't dedicate time and resources to get a long term property going for story development in a cheaper medium than screen time, and maintain/graft their base script and direction people into that hothouse- It's going to be extremely difficult to build a consistent storyline from movie to movie. Allspark productions is a decent start- but they need either a story bible enforcer, or to straight up treat each movie as within it's own reality in the multiverse.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    chit i'll be 47 by then :eek: 

• Like Like x 2
  18. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    From what i understand the plot for TF5 was going to be different from what we got, as Akiva Goldsman had pitched a different story for the direct sequel to AOE, while the Medieval Knights pitch was intended to be its own standalone film that had nothing to do with the present day storyline, before Bay decided to use the Medieval Knights storyline for Transformers 5, merging it with the original plan Akiva had pitched

Since the story we got was not the film Akiva had pitched to Bay, one could presume that that the original TF5 was going to alot different, maybe it would tied alot better with AOE than the final film did.

19. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    My number one dissapointment with TLK was no mention on the creators. Followed by completely ignoring the dinobots, and whatever story they had planned.

The creative team actually had something tangible in AOE they could have developed, but someone decided not to.

Quintessa looked amazing but their was nothing more than that. There was no mention where she came from. Was she one of the ancient 12/13 primes? A Unicron creation? Were the creators her soldiers?

I kind of like the idea of her giving orders to the creators we saw in AOE. I don't know how 5 faces of darkness would translate in a live action setting. Now I'm interested creative team made some concepts. I made my own in the fan art section.

TLK was proof they don't care about the franchise. In a way I'm glad it plummeted to the ground. It's sad because of all the talent working on the films. Maybe Hasbro should have complete control over their brand next time.

• Like Like x 2
  20. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Peter Cullen probably wont be alive by 2022 that's why I'm worried about for the reboot :( 

• Like Like x 4