whatever happened to the golden age?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Mar 23, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

first things first this isn't another thread debating the demise of g1 or the rose tinted memory of it but more a discussion on the merits/problems of the idea of cybertron having a golden age were it was portrayed as a utopia with lots of prosperity were everyones needs were met pre war and when contrasted with the present day portrayal as an inhabitable war torn wreck it exaggerates its tragedy

this concept of the golden age not just being a propaganda lie in the fiction seems to have been away for quite a long time as it has been made more believable and de-constructed by the books, idw and prime recently and if I'm not mistaken beast wars and animated for the most part when they talk about the past they reference the great war rather than what went before it, the only reference I can think of recently to a golden age was that flash forward issue of idw ongoing were you get to see a happy ending with a golden age kinda feel to it. I'm not saying this loss of the golden age of cybertron is a bad thing as it makes the franchise more believable as if there was prosperity for the masses everyone's needs were met and the impossible idea of a utopia wasn't that far off being achieved it would make megatron and his followers very illogical and practically psychotic to have a desire to destroy such a thing which isn't great for there character depth.

How do you feel about this change in how cybertrons past is portrayed and would you like the golden age of cybertron to stay gone from the fiction or maybe brought back in a future continuity?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

As far as I can tell, the "golden age" is roughly just a way to describe the peace on Cybertron before the Decepticons/Megatron (depending on which one comes first in any continuity in question) decide they want to be in power instead and begin the war.

3. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Yes, I think the references to a "golden age" are just a way of contrasting a relatively peaceful existance with what came after with the Great War. It wasn't necessarily a "utopia", but depending on who is doing the re-telling, it was probably a lot more wonderful in comparison to the war.

It's a way of marking history, and is simply a word ascribed to a period of history that occured before the Great War, to distinguish it from what came afterwards.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    turns out the golden age was never golden. In recent incarnations, the "golden age" of pre-war cybertron was a time of political infighting, machiavellian intrigue, and disenfrachisement of entire segments of the population. It only seemed a golden age to the ones who prospered during it.

I sort of like this way better, as it paints a better picture of why the war happened in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  5. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

early decepticons statred war with early autobots
    dinobots went cybertron

6. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Depends on what you specifically mean.

The victory over the Quintessons and immediate celebration of both Producer and Military Hardware factions?

The First Golden Age?

Or the Second Golden Age from The Rebirth?

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    actually, if memory serves, the Golden Age was the time before Sentinel. though that may have been in the alligned continuity

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Yeah, this makes more sense. Kinda like the beginning of IDW Megatron Origins, when it's clear the upper classes are doing well but the lower class workers are being treated horribly to the point of being replaced in the name of efficiency.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I see it as a Golden Age if it's simply just before the Decepticons turn up - You could use the 20th Century German History analogies quite easily I guess they fit the ages quite well I find.

One good thing I think goes in an out of fashion is the idea of the Decepticons being Evil - sometimes that varies a bit - I'd say Megatron is evil and some of them are thugs or bullies - but some of them their motives are not strictly "Evil" I don't like when that gets lost.

That is why I hope Prime shows Jackie as a bit of a obsessive slugger so that we get a semi-Nasty Autobot (Like Sunsteaker or DepthCharge are) to go with the marginally likeable lug that is Breakdown.

I'm reminded of the German U Boat commander who found a boat full of strays in a row boat during the war and fed them called their position in on an open radio before slipping away. What he did was a decent thing - but another day he'd be shooting at the Midatlantic Convoy again but he did a good thing in that situation. I like to see that idea of context as much as possible it's not always appropriate to go in loud in all situations.

I'd just like to see a Decepticon not start a fight as their are civilians about rather than them automatically being used as shield or cover for an escape.

I always ask would Swindle really want to shoot at his potential Customers for example ?

10. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Fiction portrays what happens during the Great War and the Golden Age is merely a reference to what Cybertronian society was like before it started. It's never really present in fiction, save for stories of the past and flashbacks.

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

there all aways decepticons on cybertron and tfs 's 1st war with quinns

12. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Well in War Dawn, everything was gold, at least where Orion Pax lived... That aristocrat bastard.

13. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I agree with this sentiment. A war that erupts from "political infighting, machiavellian intrigue, and disenfrachisement of entire segments of the population" as you put it makes for a more engaging story than "everything was peachy until the Decepticons decided to stir shit up because...uh, because, er, um, EVIL! Yeah, that's the ticket..."

14. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with you, but then again I've only seen G1s Golden Age, from the Orion Pax episode (which was a time paradox), where the buildings were literally gold and there was energon for everyone, so much everywhere, like cybertron was prospering and nothing would stop 'em. but then with the shift of war, the planet went from godly to nowhere to live? Kinda a big jump, despite the millions of years.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I was thinking earlier about the idea of how the villan can be the hero (like The Sheriff in American Gothic TV show) I wonder if it can be reversed in some way and applied to Transformers.