Whatever happend to Bob Budanski doing a TF book?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Infosaur, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I mean, he was the guy who wrote all the original tech specs back in 82-84, so the guy has some idea of where he wanted to go with some of the charachters. But so far all he's done is script (?) the IDW version of the 86' movie comic.

When he was interviewed he sounded like he was a little rusty but looked forward to trying his hand again.

So,,,, WHAT HAPPEND?

(And if Ryall or any other IDW VIP's read this I'd like an answer, please.)

2. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    He did the scripting for IDW's adaptation of the 86 movie.

3. Infosaur

Yeah I said that, But what I'm asking is,,,

*AHEM*

WILL HE WRITE ANOTHER TF STORY OF HIS OWN?

Like a Spotlight or a small arc?

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

No word on anything else

And if you want the IDW guys to answer, I'd suggest posting on the IDW board

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'm not sure how I feel about Bob coming back for another TF story.

Yes, he deserves much respect for the hand he had in creating the TF mythos as we know it.

On the other, the recent movie adaptation read really....dated. And rushed.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I respect Bob's work for what it was. He had a great role in creating this series.

But if you go back to read his Marvel stuff today, let's not be nostalgic here. It's pretty dated at best. At worst, well, it might actually be as bad as the haters say. Towards the end of his Marvel run, much of his work outright sucked. Blaster and those 3 kids? Skylynx? Forget about it!

His work on the movie adaptation wasn't exactly all that inspiring.

I really value the role he played in the TF series, but I don't think I'd want him to write a new TF book. Or at the very least, I wouldn't buy it.

7. Infosaur

I'd like to see if he's got one more good clean slate story.

Admit it, if you had to write a "toy book" for a major comic company, for 5 years as all the critical acclaim was going to guys like Gaiman, and Miller. You've got Hasbo reps telling you what NEW charachters to force into your next issue and you never can get a decent story going with the charachters that appeal to you.

And don't give me any grief about the adaptation, what's he gonna do? Change the ending? Have Optimus live? Make Bumblebee the chosen one? He was limited by a 20 year old script, that was, again, written expressly to kill off all the familar charachters and introduce new toys.

If you think about it, Mosaic contributors have more artistic freedom.

I'd love to see what he could do if he was given the chance to pick any charachter and tell any story and just go with it.

8. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I have no problems with Bob's run on the original Marvel comic. Even with all the factors you listed it, it was (IMPO) a very entertaining read. Fort Max is one of my most favorite TF characters ever and to this day, I love the first comic appearance of the Arielbots. All because of Bob.

However, his style is very 80s, and while that was understandable at the time, it was just...jarring when reading the movie adaptation. Changing the dialouge so that the characters refered to each other by name, and the editorial boxes telling us to "see last issue" were really unnessesary and threw me out of the story, even if (or maybe even because) I knew it by heart.