What you're reading and why it's good

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Fairlady_Z, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Just what it says. I noticed some of us are a bit disapointed with some recent comics trends - slow storylines, not being into a title like we used to, but we still love comics and want to read some good stuff. So maybe by talking about what we are reading now and looking forward to, we can help each other out a little.

What I currently read:

Transformers - I get everything IDW does except the reprints. It was TFs that got me into comic collecting to begin with and I always make it my first priority whenever its being printed. The Spotlights are great individual reads for some of your favorite characters, but they also fit into the larger story too which I really think is picking up now that Prime and Megs have fought on Earth. Devistation should be good and the new BW mini show continue where the last one left off. And for those of you who stiil don't have some classic UK stories yet, they are being reprinted.

Tales of the TMNT - While quality can vary depending on writer or artist, this title has the best TMNT stories since the original Mirage stuff back in Vol. 1. People can't seem to stop talking about the recent sequel to City at War issue and Mirage has also been putting out trades of their stuff for the first time since well, a long time. So if you remember the good old days of the TMNT and haven't checked them out in a while, then a issue or two of Tales may be right up your alley.

Highlander - for anyone who loved the series and movies and thought it would make a cool comic Dynamite has been doing a great job so far, we've had Connor, Kurgan, Duncan, Rachael, Brenda, and now Joe and Methos too (plus a few other guest stars and flashbacks every issue.) It's had some really good monthly cliffhangers too, the most recent issue 10 being the best example yet.

Green Arrow: Year One - probably the best Ollie's been portrayed since Meltzer wrote him, plus it just a cool update of his origin. Definately pick up the trade.

What I'm looking forward too:

Angel (season 6) or whatever it's called, loved the series and I hoped they would do for Angel what they've been doing for Buffy season 8.

Angel - not the same thing as above, a "year one" style miniseries about Marvel's high flying mutant. I've always loved Warren, and he could use the spotlight

Wolverine Origins arc explaining how he first met Cap - I love Wolverine, but his titles are just feeling so stale lately that I've quit both titles, but this storyline's solicits excite me and I want to get the trade.

Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run - talk about dream writer on a title! I haven't read WW since Perez, but this makes me want to go back to an old favorite from my childhood.

So what's on your list?

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sinestro Corps! The Green Lanterns have finally met their match.

3. Parsox

Parsox Lieutenant

Preacher TPB

I know its older but it still kick A$$

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    100 Bullets
    Fables
    Jack of Fables

Those three are still going strong for me. I have all the TPBs that are out right now.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I read a lot of comics, so I'll just highlight a few favorites:

Blue Beetle: Probably the best new teen hero book in years. Jaime is a good character with a great supporting cast and an interesting take on being a superhero. The book is fun as hell and has a great combination of comedy and action (for we TF fans it's also interesting to note that the writer is John Rogers, who wrote the first draft of the TF movie).

Booster Gold: A new book starring one of my favorite DC characters. Booster is going to be traveling through time, making sure history doesn't get messed with. It's going to be a lot of fun.

New Warriors: In my opinion, this is the best book to come out of Marvel's Civil War. A group of former heroes (including a lot of depowered mutants) banded together under new identities to fight evil in the good old unregistered way. It's an enjoyable book, made even better by the presence of Jubilee as team leader (Marvel has finally let her grow up).

X-Men: Mike Carey is easily the best writer on the franchise since Morrison left. For the first time in ages, this book is actually readable, and it even seems like the line is getting some semblance of direction finally. Excellent stuff.

6. Fairlady_Z

But...but...HE KILLED ONE OF MY FAVORITE MARVEL CHARACTERS IN ISSUE 200! :cry :cry :cry  :cry :cry 
    I'm not reading X-Men again until them bring him back!

Love Jubilee though, I'm glad she's back in the spotlight!

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dark Horse - Conan - especially the main title. I like the way the writers are developing him and the storyline's pretty interesting too.

DC - Green Lantern...only for the Sinestro Corps storyline...

IDW - TFs. I like the way the TFs are being written...the "arc" being formed via the various series.

Marvel - World War Hulk. Good, smashing fun! Definitely seems to be better than CW...for now.

Others - the older trades or Marvel Master Pieces. Yeah some of them are pretty cheesy but I grew up with 616 and I want to read some of the character's origins.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Like Cable's going to stay dead.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Fables - greatest fairy tale character stories
    Jack of Fables - Who doesn't like Jack
    Wildcats - Jim Lee, bought every other Wildcats title
    Incredible Hulk - Hulk Smash puny Iron Man
    World War Hulk - See "Incredible Hulk"
    X-Factor - best X-Title out there
    Teen Titans - great team, good read
    Justice Society of America - something Avengers will never be
    Justice League of America - see "Justice Society of America"
    Runaways - on/off title
    Thor - on/off title, still trying to get to like the character.
    Iron and the Maiden - so far so good...only had 1x issue so far
    Gen13 - always like this team
    The Boys - f**kin' hilarious
    All-Star Batman and Robin - because he's the G' damn Batman...and Jim Lee
    Green Lantern - only for the Sinestro Corp
    Green Lantern Corps - see "Green Lantern"
    Grimm Fairy Tales: Return to Wonderland - wonderland = evilland
    Exiles - world-hoppin is insteresting, and it got Blink
    The Flash - just testing it out
    Mighty Avengers - Frank Cho
    New Excalibur - good set of characters
    Supergirl - just cause
    Wetworks - good team, had the original title
    X-Men - just the team
    Uncanny X-Men - still trying to figure out why i still buy this
    Astonishing X-Men - see "Uncanny X-Men"
    Ultimates - Joe Maudiera
    Onslaught Reborn - always liked the original Ultimate universe (Heroes Reborn)
    Previews/Marvel Previews - see whats coming up

and these are soon to be adders:
    Grimm Fairy Tales - the other title was good, so i'll try this one
    Wonder Gril - way more interesting than Wonder Woman
    X-Men: Vulcan - Havok is gonna whoop some @$$
    Youngblood - Dont hate

10. Fairlady_Z

Very true. But how long til they bring him back? I'm still waiting for Jean to come back and kick Emma's butt.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Agreed. This is Civil War should have been.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Currently reading:

- IDW Transformers - All titles except the reprints in Generations and Spotlight UK stuff. I'm really enjoying how the story in the G1 titles is progressing so far. There's a good balance of new mysteries and answers to older questions, so that the amount of plot threads isn't overwhelming. The Spotlights have been great for character development, especially with the use of lesser known characters (for the most part). Looking forward to seeing where this all goes. Some of the "peripheral" stuff (Beast Wars, Megatron Origin, etc), I'm only collecting in trades, but the rest I pick up individual issues.
    - Green Lantern - Only for the Cyborg Superman and, currently, the Sinestro Corps War; I'll be dropping it after this storyline. SCW is a great story with lots going on, a real sense of eminent threat and characterization still present despite the large cast. Unfortunately, this title is just terrible outside of the SCW story.
    - Green Lantern Corps - See above for the Sinestro Corps stuff. I picked up a few pre-SCW issues of this and actually like it better than the main GL title. No Hal or his supporting cast to bore me, better writing in general and more interesting main characters. I may continue buying trades of this title after SCW ends, but it's not good enough to justify monthly purchases.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

What's really bad is that I went through my books in my head just now and put a bunch is the "just good enough" stack. Very few make me want to run out and grab them anymore.

Sure Mighty Avengers is written well (surprisingly) and the interior thoughts between characters make this possible but overall, it's meh. New Avengers just bites. To much talking. Sinestro War is what made me not drop GL. before that, it was on the verge of cancelation. Superman is getting dropped. Same with batman soon.

So what's good?

Detective Comics. Written like the Animated Series and each issue, except a few, has been exclusive to itself. No other books needed! Also, they are really good stories. I highly recommend the Joker Christmas issue as well as the Poison Ivy one. The Zartanna team up 2 issue arc was jaw dropping as well.

Ultimate Spidey. Still the teenage drama. Still holding steam. But I'm not sure how much longer it will last.

Booster Gold. Take the persona of the gloryhound Booster Gold and make him the guy from Quantam leap where he has to fix time problems. That's the book.

Thunderbolts. I'm actually enjoying this so far. I always liked the concept of the T-Bolts but they ruined it after #50 of the original series and started going down a terrible idea before Civil War. Now it actually is a cool idea. A government team of super-villains run by the Green Goblin.

14. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Transformers- Well, I'm on this board, I'm sure none of you really need a reason why what all of IDW is doing is awesome.

Halo: Uprising-Looking very nice so far, love the art and usage of expanded universe characters WITH main characters like Master Chief.

DC's Bionicle- Been reading this stuff for like 6 years now and it just keeps getting better, Farshety is a master at forming universes.

DN

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    way's ghost rider.

because the protagonist has a flaming skull for a head and he rides a motorcycle.

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I just finished up the first volume of the Complete Nemesis The Warlock. It was just so weird and insane and ultimately, FUCKING AWESOME! I can't wait for the next volume to be released.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My pull list is...

Conan
    New Avengers
    Mighty Avengers
    Ultimate Spider-man
    Ultimates
    Street Fighter

I'm sure theres more but right now I can't think of any more... hmm.

From the UK I also pick up the new Transformers and Judge Dredd Megazine.

Graphic novel wise I'm reading

The Walking Dead (so so so awesome)
    A buncn of 200 AD, Complete Judge Dredd (when I get around to it I need to finish buying these) Rogue Trooper and Nemesis the Warlock.

18. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Transformers-duh, it's kickass.

Y: The Last Man- shows why being the last man on earth would suck.

The Walking Dead- Zombies and Kirkman need I say more?

Invincible- Good old superhero fun.

Star Wars- Knights of The Old Republic- has all the fun and adventure of the OT with out the crap of the PT.

Star Wars Legacy- See above.

Detective Comics- Dini writing how could I not get it? I would like to second the recomendation that people pick up the Joker Christmas issue. Who would not want to spend the holidays with your old Uncle J?

Batman# 666- a kick ass issue with an interesting look at a possible future.

19. Heatseeker

Heatseeker ;)

Transformers. IDW. and X Men- the Last Man.

20. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I bought Transformers - The Movie (comicization), The Movie Prequel, Spotlight and Escalation (unawares that Infiltration was came before it. I blame Hot Rod) as my first venture into buying anying related to Transformers in books and I gotta tell ya, they are some awesome books! With the exception of the 20th Anniversary Comic book, which got kind of tedious at times (watched the movie a billion times), the last three were a real treat to read, especially Spotlight. The ONE-SHOT stories on various characters, were amazing. The Movie Prequel didn't get exciting until Barricade, Blackout, and Starscream attacked Sector 7.