What would you think about Generations Direct-to-Video cartoons?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Murasame, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I just got an idea. What if Hasbro would create Direct-to-Video movies (like Marvel Animated does) under the banner of Transformers Generations?

They could have different styles like CGI or drawn, animated like or more anime like, etc.

And the stories could be just one shots of different universes. One movie is about WFC, one about G1, one about Beast Wars, one about Armada, and so on...

I think this might be a great idea. They could get writers from IDW or whoever has a great story to tell and have someone animate it. And having different styles would be an interesting way to show off different ways on how to interpret Transformers artistically and the movies are more diverse. And while telling one-shots of different universes you can please more Transformers fans, as everyone might have his favorite rendition of Transformers delivered a new story for their viewing pleasure!

I would buy the movies :D 

2. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think that it will ever happen, but you can count on me to buy each one if it does.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure it's been discusseed by Hasbro and they're probably watching the sales of the Marvel/DC releases to see if there's sufficient profit to be made.

While I'd love to see something like that, I don't think the Marvel/DC movies have done well enough to make it a worth wild endeavor. Esp when Walmart put just about every recent DC release on sale for $2 during black Friday last year.

4. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

I'd totally buy them.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would buy them, but with Prime and the movie coming out, it's probably not on their "to-do" list

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    If it ever happened, I'd support it.

7. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Ask Randall NG to do it... ;) 

8. AMG

AMG Old School

Sign me up, I love seeing new TF media.

9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I agree too. I can always use more TF videos.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I could also see them happening as itunes episodes or webisodes or packed-in-content on dvds with voyagers or leaders, but it'd be hard to justify the cost.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    We've discussed it here several times too. In fact, it seems like every time a new toy line comes along, someone here throws a D2V idea up for discussion.

I'd buy any of them for sure (although that Walmart bonus disc motion comic preview for TF1 was a disappointment). But as I've said in previous threads, Hasbro's not going to sink money into producing something that's not related to their current or upcoming media. An OAV based on any sub-genre of the Transformers franchise won't have wide enough consumer appeal to be commercially successful.

Most of the Marvel titles have done well enough that they keep producing them. Although some, like Dr. Strange, didn't fare as well.

The DC titles have done marginally better than Marvel's, especially any attached to their big guns like Batman and Superman. Even Wonder Woman sold over 421k units, which was better than Green Lantern's 368k. [FYI: I use The-Numbers.com to research this kind of data.]

WHV/DC Direct have canceled plans to produce some titles for the animated DC Universe: Green Lantern and Wonder Woman sequels, Batgirl, and Aquaman. That leads me to speculate that the last few titles that were released either didn't quite meet expectations or they chose to devote their resources to higher-priority projects.

And BTW, just because you saw those DC animated titles selling at Walmart on Black Friday for $2, it doesn't mean those titles weren't successful. For starters, that was a special promo -- no telling what kind of deal Walmart worked out with the distributor. And furthermore, those were the standard edition releases with minimal content. Walmart probably got an incredible bulk deal and thus how they were able to sell them so cheap.

12. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I'm a total whore for any transformers media, so I would definetly buy that.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it were anything like DCs movies, I'd be all over that. I'm still kinda sad that Gi Joe got a straight to DVD adult movie and we didn't.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Hell yes.

Pretty much do what DCAU has done and use Classics series toys and the writing by Simon Furman, Nick Roche and Bob Budiansky and we are in perfect heaven.

15. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

I'd love to see that.

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    If they do one about Beast Wars, I'd be more then glad to get it.

17. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I wish they'd consider a direct-to-video movie for Animated to give the series some kind of satisfactory conclusion.

18. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I would certainly give it a try.

19. tide

tide NEON PRIDE

News Credits:
    i don't know why i didn't think of this before. I think it's a great idea, and also a good way for folks to get their TF cartoon fix if they don't like what is currently airing on TV. i'd buy each one if this ever happens.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Maybe we could start a petition and see how many people we'll get together for this? Would be interesting to see if there would be a base audience for this in first place.