Repro/Sticker: What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ArmouredLlama, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ArmouredLlama

ArmouredLlama Active Member

Oh man, that subject line sounds so dodgy. Sorry.

Okay, so here's the story: Have been planning to design and produce my own transformer toy from a 3D file. I'm looking at designing a series of cars and construction vehicles, and maybe some animals.

The size of the toys is a bit up in the air. They started off being about the size of WST or minicons. More like the WST, because I'm not doing anything with pins, screws, rivets or whatever else. The project is already big enough for a first try, let's not add extra layers of complexity.

If I design a WST size toy, then I can't make turning wheels. The limitations of plastic's physics scotches the idea outright. If I make the toy about the size of a scout or even deluxe, then I can have turning wheels (think kind of like G1 Roller).

Given that I'd like to try selling the finished product (assuming I ever make it) to board members, thought it would be prudent to get some hypothetical feedback.

So, my question is: what would you like to see? A smaller, cheaper toy with no turning wheels, or a larger, more expensive toy with wheels?

What the..? I MUST attach a file..?! Wha..?
    Okay, fine. I'm running a Cardboard Tube Fighting League event in Sydney. That's a picture of the poster.

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    WST Shockwave would be killer.

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    as much as I like small custom fan characters, I wouldn't really buy any. But after watching ebay for a long time customs fetch a pretty penny. The bigger they are and the more work that went into them. The more money the make!

Good luck with the project!

iDD

4. ArmouredLlama

Y'know, Redline - apart from not really answering my question, that's not such a bad idea.

Of all the G1 characters, Shockwave has possibly the least complicated transform mechanism - apart from Twin Twist and whatshisname twin.

Maybe it's not such a bad place to start.

5. ArmouredLlama

alrighty - this might be a sucker-for-punishment question, but what other WST requests are out there?

6. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    WST Cliffjumper since the one they made was just a repaint of Bumblebee

Oh and don't do Twintwist or Topspin since they don't even sell well as vintage toys. Heck I'd like to have them both but I probably wouldn't pay that much

Spinning wheels, not a big deal but as far as getting top dollar I'd go the deluxe route

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, if I was in your situation, I would go with a Deluxe sized one. Character wise, I would probably attempt some sort of Grimlock, or if not him, some form of Shockwave. Good luck with the project. I've tried once before to make a transformer in 3dsMax, and, while it did come out better than I expected, It was nowhere near what an official Transformer would be like. I might attempt another try at it soon, as I've got access to computers with 3dsMax on them, and I might be able to get the program package that has it on there, from the school's books store, in the somewhat near future.

8. ArmouredLlama

That's great to hear some love for the deluxe/scout-sized toys.
    My original (custom character) plans were for transformers inspired by the current vinyl toy design craze - kind of taking the Animated feel to an extreme. It's still what I want to end up doing.

My designs for a mini-Shockwave are happily sitting at about the size of a minicon/legends toy, and it keeps almost all of the transformation mechanics of the original. I think if I cut down on the articulation, I can make him go even smaller - a proper WST size.

9. ArmouredLlama

I'm thinking I steer clear of Grimlock. Been done before. Similar with Cliffjumper.

What about other characters? Is there any love for the Insecticons?

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    What about War Within Grimlock :D .

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I would think the size of a minicon would be just right, honestly. a lot of wsts are close to that anyway, and he was a large TF.

12. ArmouredLlama

So I've sculpted a leg for the toy.
    [​IMG]

13. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Trypticon the size of a scout or deluxe would kick all sorts of ass.

14. ArmouredLlama

I should just say that I'm happy to try and answer questions about the engineering-ness that goes into designing a toy for 3D printing (as opposed to modding an existing toy or grabbing a lump of sculpey).

For example, I can answer stuff about why all the pegs and sockets (and most corners) have bevels designed into them (answer: to help peel the parts out of the mold, and so you don't cut your finger on the printed part).

As for the actual construction of the mesh, I'm using Blender 2.45. I'm using mesh modelling techniques. There may be better ways to design something like this, but I'm still learning how to do this stuff myself. I find google has lots of answers to questions about mesh modelling. You're just as likely to find an answer to your questions about 3D modelling as I am. Don't make me pull out my favourite website address: justgoogleit.com

15. ArmouredLlama

Lesson one in designing a 3D toy:

Test often. You don't have the benefit of holding the pieces in your hands and absent-mindedly rotating parts together to check that they fit.

Case in point: After modelling the character's boots with a nice level top, i remembered I wanted the transformation to leave the gun mode angled upwards by about 10 degrees. So I've had to remodel parts of the boots (both pieces) to reflect that angle. This also necessitates changing the channels modelled into the inside of the two boot pieces to accomodate the upper leg shaft. (You may or may not notice them in the screen caps linked above - I need to build a more definite channel on the outer boot piece yet)

Lesson two:
    Everything you design has to be designed so it will basically fall out of its mold. Industrial molds are generally two-pieces - they sandwich together with a funny-shaped hole in the middle, which has plastic-y goodness injected into it. Anything in your designs that will cause those two halves of the industrial mold to not come away from the cast piece will not work. (I think I need to add some links to sites that definitely know what they're talking about).

Lesson three:
    I've basing all of my design choices on principles of injection molding I've gleaned from various sites. Don't take anything I say as gospel yet.
    I'm writing this stuff up as a kind of diary to help show the way for other people who might be interested in trying this kind of design in the future.
    And for those of you who might be wondering, I intend to upload my 3D file as an open-source/creative commons resource when it's finished.

Engineering stuff
    Lots of information I haven't read properly :-}