What would YOU like to see the Revolution controller do?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Apr 12, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I've been thinking about Nintendo's Revolution controller a lot lately, what with the news about Red Steel and all, so I wonder how other people would like to see games use it.

I'm gonna start with some existing game titles. For starters, and I've mentioned this before, I think Descent could benefit hugely from the motion-sensing controls. While the games were great, the controls in Descent have always been made a bit cumbersome by providing the player too many ways to move the ship around. Changing your pitch and heading, tilting the ship sideways, "sliding" vertically and horizontally, and thrusting forward or in reverse all ideally demand analog control, but there's just no way to do that on a PC. On Revolution you could just move the "remote" in an imitation of how you want the ship to move and it would happen. I think it's definitely time to see this series make a comeback.

Another series I've been wanting to see come back is Jazz Jackrabbit, but after the abysmal abortion of a GameBoy Advance game the brand got awhile back, it's hard to imagine a publisher picking it up without a huge revamp, such as turning it into a full 3-D platformer. That would be exceedingly difficult to pull of right, because you'd need to be able to run at very high speeds while still being able to target and shoot stuff. As much as I liked Metroid Prime, I think aut-targetting in a shooting oriented game is a bit cheap, so I'd rather not see that used, but a dual-stick control style would be less than ideal, especially at that speed. Enter the nunchaku-style controller configuration. The analog stick would handle running speed and direction while the remote would handle aiming and shooting. The image I have in my head is something like a hybrid of Sonic Adventure and Panzer Dragoon, but perhaps more intense than either of them. It could work, it would be awesome :D 

I think it's also prety obvious that Atari's Transformers game for the PS2 would've benefitted greatly from the Nunchaku control setup.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

What I'd like to see it do is work, work well enough that it convinces me that it's a worthwhile leap forward.

And when it does, which in all fairness is likely to, I want to see a lightsaber combat game. Like, that would be freaking AWESOME x infinity.

3. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

well well lets egin

sword swinging thats a given

the gun add on I thougth in one thread- if posible 2 add ons to pull a double gunner.-sucker for guns in two hans-

boomerang/knife/psickle throw press a button-say A once pressed do a frisbie throw movement-or like me do a gundam seed justice gundam like boomerang throw from shoulder-

granade throwing sounds depends on how hard you throw, or how sensible.

enemy throws granade 5 seconds to do picking montion and throw it back or away- or shoot it if its in mid air-of course that means L337 aim skills-

crimson skies like -gunner function -the ability of guiding the visual target with the remote and trigger it if weapon is shotgun or mashine gun have respective feedback from rumble

spatial awareness in rogue squadron rougue leader like game think in the trench-which was migthy hard in rougue leader -hell all missions were migthy hard- the ability to control the aircraft by moving the remote move remote forward accelerates, moves it backward brakes or turns retros, Z(trigger ) fire, A special weapon...-yeah hard to understand Ill try to tkae pictures of this concept

hook shot-whip etc-(castlevania zelda) in castlevania depending the way the user swings the direction and behaiiviors the whip will take-think swinging a chain. -hookshot kinda deal- shoot it if you hit something-say an enemy you rewind hool line the enemy goes to you and ready to get killed,-or go to the position as usal, if the hookline is out and didnt get to anything,no need to rewind automatically as it may serve as chain swing,controlled by you.

use it as an strategy pole on strategy games-you know like the comanders do wih their chess pieces of the battlefield-that be amusing as hell

racing we may have the ability to get a wheel attachemet(basically not an stering wheel just something that asemejastes a trident once docked with the control(n64 controller upside down))-the tridat would work as a wireless wheel-whithout the weigth-the left and rigth would have shoulder buttons -braking and accelerationmoving the wheel acordingly and in the front two buttons gear up and gear down-poseed like airplaine the control would be sensible to movements and would be about as playing with a steering wheel.-Ill provide ilustration of this. later today, the control would also work for plane simulator

power glove like thing to play something like the adictinve 3d pong-add easier on the hands

tenis games sudenly become more interesting

golf games now can messure our stregth of shot

I ll think more I know theres more han what I can come up now

4. flamepanther

Amen. Luckily recent Nintendo consoles seem to attract Star Wars games early in their lifespan, so I'm thinking that lightsaber combat is a given :rock 

Edit: When it does happen, the starwars kid will have his revenge on all of us ;) 

Wing alpha, that whip idea for Castlevania would be awesome, assuming they did it right.

5. Wing alpha

you know what would amuse me in ligthsaber combat.....that if they actually did the styles used in the movies....it would be to hard to keep up.-I can hardly keep up in one handed fencing.-

It would be awsome as hell though-

6. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

I know this a thread to discuss ideas about the controller and what games would work with it, but I think this still applies. :) 

The newest EGM, in their rumour mill section, reported that Nintendo was working on a new Mario Paint for the DS and Revolution, as well as a new Pilot Wings for the Revolution. Obviously you can think of how Mario Paint could work with a controller like that (which sounds great), but it's the Pilot Wings controller scheme that has me excited; you hold the controller like a plane, and move it around to coordinate the movements of the plane on screen.

While these are still rumours, the mill has a good track record, so I believe them. Even if these aren't true, I still really like these ideas, so I thought I'd share.

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I wanna churn butter in a Farm Sim...

Seriously, though I want to use use it to recreate a kitchen, in a cooking sim. Imagine using it to slice , dice, stir, Saute, clean meat, all of those precise movements needed in Knife work, saute pan work and mixing of ingredients!

8. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    They should do an expanded version of "Trauma Center," where the Rev controller would work as the scalpel, forceps, etc. That would be awesome.

A movie making game would also be cool. You control the characters, what they do, what they say, their motions, etc. After you have all the choreography down, you "run" the scene, using the Rev controller to zoom in, pan, tilt, etcetc.

Basically, I want Nintendo to stick to its guns with the whole, "We're trying to appeal to the non-gamer normal audience." The BEST way they can do this is by making games that are far from the norm, where the Rev controller isn't used for shooting/striking/killing/etc (which, ultimately, would be the most predictable and boring route to go), but is instead used in ways that people would have never before thought could be made into a game. I don't think we'll ever see a Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Solid for the Rev, and that's fine; show me games with content and innovation that I have NEVER seen before in any other video game.

So much potential...I'll be disappointed if Nintendo wastes it. Or if Microsoft/Sony don't also pick up the concept and apply it thoughtfully.

9. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

There is actually a version of Trauma Center in the works for Revolution!

http://www.revolutionreport.com/index.php?act=articles&code=read&id=330

10. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    All of those are great ideas. As I said before, I really hope that for golf games, you actually swing it like a club.

The key to all of this is that the rev controller has to have different sensitivity for each game. Some games need just a flick of the wrist, while others need wide swings. It would be great to leave that up to the user to set.

I love that Nintendo is thinking outside the box with the DS and Rev.

The cooking idea that Fairy had was especially neat. Think of an Iron Chef game!

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    How about a new Mario Paint? Imagine all the crazy fun stuff you could do with that. Paint with the controller like a brush. Compose music. Make animations. Maybe even add some 3d stuff. Once you've got some artwork, you could build an art galelry to display them in and upload it for others to walk around in and leave comments. The possibilities would be endless.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Read Cy-kill's post. :thumbs2: 

13. flamepanther

I would totally play an online ping-pong game with that controller if it was a budget title.

14. DragoUnicron

DragoUnicron Dragon Master

I seriously would like to see a magic game use this thing, similar to how dawn of sorrow uses seals on the DS. By holding a button making a certain design on the screen, one can cast various spells. Like making a triangle summons a fireball, or more intricate designs summon greater magic spells.

I don't know how they'd do it, but also somehow making a game that allows you to do what harold can do with the purple crayon would be really fun as well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0064430227/103-1572528-6195008?v=glance&n=283155

The possibilities are endless. I really like the whip idea for castlevania, by the way.

15. Wing alpha

olympic games.

disc throw= boomerang function
    javelin= throw movement(just be careful of not letting go)

I have some thougth about sword figthing as it will require to have decent reflex to block the sword-and you can miss.- shield add on-basically the thing we saw in zelda fake controller.- to blockI came to the idea that what about conecting 2 montion sensors would help in many ocations. think.....REAL LIFE SUPER PUNCH OUT!

sensitivity of the control should be an isuuse to a certain degree.

depending where you reach the weapon the efect it will have for example if you set to shurikens do throw motion and depending hrow motion, and strength of the shot. set it to kunai-ninja knife- same deal.

Im woking on the steering wheel, and spatial awareness things

16. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Megaman Legends 3. The biggest problem MML had was the godawfully clunky aiming. The number of enemies you fought at once had to stay low because it was so hard to fight. Now imagin the same thing, with badass graphics, and the kind of robot carnage that is required of a megaman game.

You manuver around using the nanchaku grip and aim your weapon with the tilt, You could fire weapons with the trigger, and the A button for jumping while swapping weapons on the fly with the D pad which like Zelda OoT could be customized with your choice of items and weapons.

17. flamepanther

I think I almost wet myself. Those games had so much potential to be completely badass and only just barely failed to live up to it (seriously underrated games). It's been so long since the last one came out that I sorta forgot about it.

Besides, it's only fair that the Legends series should come back to Nintendo. The first one was originally designed for the N64.

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The lightsaber combat idea is #2

#1 would be if the controller could jerk me off before bed ;) 

19. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Well, while using just the 'remote' syle controller you could jerk off while playing in bed. Isn't that why we're getting a one handed controller?

Anyway, Zelda sword swinging and and RE4 style aiming. They were perfect before, but now they can be interactive; awesome.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Lucasarts was quick to drop Gamecube support when it became fashionable. As much as I would love a saber game for the Rev, Im not holding my breath for it. :( 

But anyway, game applications...

-Lightsabers/swords are a given
    -Gun games (These top two are already in Red Steel)
    -Survival horror with the flashlight
    -Something like Castlevania DS with the spells
    -A Descent type game.
    -Wario Ware Revolution. Oh yes. Its going to be crazy.
    -Tramua Center Revolution
    -Bring back the Adventure genre. (AKA. Sam and Max plz)
    -some good RTS games

I am so excited for this console. :rock