What would you like to see in a TF database?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JaviSRK, Aug 23, 2006.

1. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    I know that there are TFU.info and Cobra Island in terms of an actual database of toys, but both websites haven't really updated anything in a long time. So I'd like to compile a TF database of my own and share it all with you online.

I'd like to take what they have and go beyond it to something that all people can use. I'm fiddling around with a design, plus a back end that would make updating the database a breeze. I'm not sure how the other sites do it (it would be a pain if everything was done by hand); but I'm sure I can add a bot every 2 minutes or so, depending on pictures.

In addition to the database, I'd like to add a user feature that will allow that person to document their collection (and maybe add pictures) and to show that collection off via URL link. So let's say someone clicks on a picture of Soundwave. The info for the toy comes up. If the user is logged in; there can be some sort of prompt to add Soundwave to their existing collection. My plan is to have the users edit and modify their collections to where they see fit.

So my question is: what would you guys like to see?

Pictures, Bios, a better search mechanism, easier navigation, non-ugly design, whatever!

2. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

there's so many data points you could put in. depends on what route you take with it. comic database? tv database? toy database? all three? one transformer alone is a lot of work. pick one to start with and work on him until you're satisfied. there's always the basics. but then there's random stuff like number of episodes/issues appeared in. saved the day how many times? how many colors does he have? left handed or right? ok that's a little much but i hope you get the idea.

you can also go the way no one else has... make a wiki! let us do all the work ;) 

3. Satan Santa

Satan Santa Knows you've been naughty

Just some ideas:

Mid-transform pics.

Pantone color codes (cause everyone's screen is different).

Height reference (maybe have a ruler in each pic)

4. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Check your PM's! (in like 5 minutes)

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Kickback Is Going To Kidnap Him.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    some thing fast and clean.

toy pic, cartoon/illustration character pic, bio, tech spec. should keep it basic.

7. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

One thing I find wishing TFU.info had was the first appearance of characters. Be it TV, Comic, or both.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I realize that a lot of different sites offer this stuff, but it would be nice to have a one-stop database for everything. Here's my 2-cent's worth:

- First appearances
    - Like Satan Santa suggested, something in the pics to provide more accurate scale comparisons. And if you use other TFs in the pic for scale, please ID them for users (hear that, Remy?).
    - Accurate and comprehensive "additional versions" pictoral guide, unlike tfu.info's database where one frequently gets a different listing of toy pics for the exact same character.
    - User-updatable database like unicron.com and wikipedia, but with a queue for editors to review updates prior to being posted... rather than giving users free reign to update manually which can lead to gross misuse and misinformation.
    - "Best of the Web" or spotlight TF links feature, updated regularly.

9. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I've always been a fan of visual references. Robot Mode, vehicle mode, box art portrait, TFU portrait, Cartoon portrait. Any major changes I'd like to see high lighted.

DItto any changes in personality or behavior between different versions.

10. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Very cool idea! :thumb 

And the suggestions so far are even better!

For what it's worth, I'd like to see:

1. Tech specs, TFU bios, the Hasbro site bios (when available), listing of the alt mode(s)

2. Multiple tranformation pics (including all modes) or better yet a visual instruction guide with actual toy pics showing the sequence.

3. Packaging info including pics of the box art and any accessories (guns, missiles and so forth), links to other characters that came with him/her, etc.

4. First appearances in each media (TV, comic, etc)

5. Notable character changes (i.e Bumblebee --> Goldbug, Megatron --> Galvatron), as well as the reverse listing for the other half.

I also like the idea of a user-customized environment a la Wiki, but I agree that there should be a filtering process before any changes are made permanent. And a site that lets me track my collection online would be awesome.

But what I would like most is having a nice, clean main page for each character with links to everthing else. The main page could have just one pic of the character and use its body parts as the links (heads out of the gutter, people). The head could go to the bios, a weapon could go to accessories, and so on.

Now that would be cool.:D 

11. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Incredible idea! As a fan of toys of any era, I would like to see, links to all variants and repaint from a figure as well as lucky-draw items.

One interesting idea that I have not seen yet in any site is a size reference. You may use a ruler or a can at least that would be really interesting.

Another interesting info would be the difference in color or mold between Japanese and American items.