What would you like in a TF game?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, May 17, 2008.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I tried searching, but "Transformers" yeilds no results and "game" didn't narrow it much... I didn't know where to put this, I thought general wouyld work but it's as much about games as it is TFs.

So I've been thinking (uh oh) about the three to five Tf games we've had. Now I've just bought the TF movie game for the 360 for a fraction of it's retail price (first one I bought was all scratched) and I'm having fun with the Decepticon levels (blowing shit up makes me go "yay!") not so much the Autobot's (so I killed some people, big freakin' deal) but I can't help thinking (!) so much lost potential when I'm playing.

So I was wondering, what would you all consider a good TF game would be?

IMO, it would be first person (I HATE third person shooters) with of course, third person vehicle mode controls (cars, planes, etc. I don't mind) and I thought that would be good, but then I thought about Valve's Half-life and Portal games...

Would anyone play a TF game that was more than just shooting and driving? Perhaps they could implement fun little puzzles or challenges to shake things up? Maybe based off animated so it would fit better? Of course there's the little details that matter like how long transformations take (the game's ground vehicle's TFs take too long IMO) and what weapons and how powerful they are. (Again, in the movie game the weapons sans Blackout's and Starscream's are bloody useless)

And one more thing, level design. Now I like sandbox open enviroments, but only for about four minutes. I liek open levels that still play somewhat linier, but give you options and make you think on how to progress. (thinking, dangerous word here)

So what are your thoughts? Based on what we know about TF:A and newer games and such...

2. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

for one thing no repititive levels and no shaky camera and especially more characters to play as when you finish the game and animated characters as well

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ah yes, level repitition. Seriously, that's my main problem with sandbox levels, each mission or level is usually the same.

4. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Well I just bought the TF:Movie game and its decent so far, just don't like some of the mechanics of it. Will edit with specifics later

5. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

I'd like to be able to drive a huge bloody tank down the main street of some town.
    A hugely destructible environment. The proper transformation sound effect. Weapons having an effect on other Transformers.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perfect TF game for me would be a Dragonbll Z Budokai style fighting game, except with TF characters and stages. It's pretty much ideal if you think about it.

7. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

We had that a couple of times. The DreamTV game and Beast Wars Transmetals. Or at least close to it.

I think for the Transformers aesthetic to work, you have to have third person (though the option to toggle first and third person would be okay.) It would require the combination of several games and elements for me.

(1.) Black - high intensity realistic violence, explosions, guns galore, and entirely destructible environments
    (2.) Need for Speed - open worlds and vast landscapes with many different and distinct regions/levels
    (3.) Grand Theft Auto - mission styles, open world, and side missions. (Plus the option to drive a tank through downtown while blowing shit up is already included in this game.)

Of course, in my mind, Transformers will never be a perfect game until such time as games are a fully 3-d and immersive experience a la the Holodeck on Star Trek TNG.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Two types come to mind. A) a super robot wars style game. B) as much as I'd like to have as may characters as possible playable, I'd rather have 1 or 2 characters and really good game play.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    hand it to melbourne house again, and you're pretty much guaranteed awesomeness.

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I don't mean to come across sounding like a jerk, but I just don't get this. Are we searching the same site? There's 100 pages of search results for "Transformers" here just in the General Discussion forum alone.

And searching for "Transformers Game" on TF General Discussion, you would've found 5 pages of detailed discussion on the third page of results in this thread called "The Perfect Transformers Game":

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=161338

I'm a moron, and I find forum search here is a breeze. Just about every time I think I have a topic to post, I find it's already been done here... several times before.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i would drop a dime on a G1 game where the developers do their research.
    since i am dreaming and drooling....
    how about a massive fucking game for a sightly higher price- say 80 bucks for a 2 Blu-Ray disc game where it combines free roam and role play (kinda like Mercenaries for the PS2) and where you get tons of characters, but they are used because of mission specifics. Using the minis or the deluxes like they were intended. Mirage=recon mission a la MGS, Ironhide=Frontline battler, Ratchet has medic missions, etc.
    but the key element to me would be the character weapons. if someone has a acid pellet gun, let em use it. missiles? use em. or even really outrageous weapons- say grapple's torch weapon as a melee weapon.
    all that to a destructable environment...just to have the option of using that much mentioned, little used Megatron trick of using a black hole for his weapon....i feel woozy...
    one other thing- MAPS. cybertron level, earth, moon, even air or space combat. hell, seekers vs Jetfire or Powerglide type settings.
    gestalts could be done in a RTS manner. team management/task assignments and strategic use. and put enough of a cost to combining them to make a player think long and hard about how to use the big boys.
    like Omega Supreme could be vital to a mission success, but because of his energy consumption, timing and tactics have to be planned out.

it is asking a lot, but well worth it, IMO. and since i once paid almost 90 dollars for a game during the Genesis era, i think paying that much for a PS3/360 game of large scale would not be so embarrassing.

12. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    I think a Transformers MMORPG would be so awesome it would crash the internet. The best place to set it would be in the Universe (both the new Classics line and the old one) continuity, because it's got a varied mix of characters, which means that it wouldn't be limited to a single continuity.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'd definately want a Sandbox style game.
    Third Person is great for me.
    Plenty of characters is a must to me, thats one of my only complaints against the Armada game.
    Both Factions need to be playable.

Online co-op/deathmatch would also be really cool.
    (4-6 player co-op campaign? Just imagine teaming up against Devastator (or any ridiculously difficult boss) online.

Any Generation except RiD and Armada is fine with me.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Then I guess it was a problem with the search engine or my internet explore, because everytime I searched "Transformers" the page would come up "cannot be displayed" and then it would ask me to specify my search terms. I just assumed "Transformers" was one of those words or something that are too common on a Transformers site.

Actually I still can't get it to search anything.

EDIT: Yep, it was my internet. Out for 5 hours.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My ideal would be a tactical RPG game, like the one being developed by GLU for mobile phones. A tactical / strategy game would let you use a wide selection of characters, squads of 6-8 at a time, and would bring home both the scale of the combat and be an accurate representation of how most of the shows worked (since very few TF battles ever used more than that many characters, when they did, you can narrow down to half a dozen on the Autobot side who were the "focus" of the battle)

It's an idea I took and ran with:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, drawing the sprites within the 24 * 32 grid required for that particular tactics system took an awful lot of time and I never got particularly far with the idea. I've tried other ideas for making it happen, but ultimately I'd need an ungodly number of sprites to make it happen. For story sequences, if nothing else.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Release "Transformers: Call of the Future" in the US

That is all

17. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Well-integrated and smooth transformations which can be performed on the run. Actual differences in abilities between modes - speed, armor, firepower, object use, flight etc. And to be brutally honest, it'd be nice to be able to design custom packs for the game engine, including new, fully transformable playable characters and NPCs, new levels and plots etc.

18. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    A game with robots that like to smash other robots. The armada ps2 game is great, I still play it 5+ years after the fact. Hav'ent tried the movie game yet.

I'd like to find the shockwave flash game cartoon network did on their site to promote energon "battle for megatron" It was a turn based strategy game with skorponok, divebomb, ravage and insecticon (energon toys) They had about 3 weapon choices in each mode but the brilliant thing about it was how alt modes actually provided tactical advantages. When skorponok is in jet mode he can move farther in a turn, In skorpion tank mode he is'nt quite as fast but he has stronger ranged attacks. The robot mode is the slowest but the melee attack, especially the tail strike does more damage than anything else.

But the greatest transformer game would just be gundam battle assault 2 with transformers instead of the gundams. If you've played that epic ps1 game you know what amazing crossover service that disc did to the gundam multiverse. The brilliant thing was also it did'nt use a solid sprite for the character model it used several smaller sprites to make armor buckle and pieces move. I was pulled into the story as well do to the voice overs. Imagine bay's movie starscream and cybertron optimus prime fighting with a backdrop of g1 sherman dam. Straxus would be a great unlockable boss/character.

19. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RPG.

20. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

-Based off Animated.
    -Gameplay would be a third person action game with a mix of melee and ranged combat with vehicle modes, of course.
    -In addition to regular attacks, gameplay would also revolve around special abilities, which would require 'energy' to use. Energy would recharge slowly but there would also be other ways to aquire it.
    -Play as one of the Autobots or Decepticons from the show or create your own character.
    -There would be four archetypes, each with a different set of special abilites and ways of gaining energy:

• The Bruiser, slow and large but with powerful attacks and armour. Would gain energy by smashing things and dealing damage.
    • The Speedster, fast and light but low on strength and defense. Would recharge energy at a faster rate than the other archetypes.
    • The Fighter, sort of in-between the Bruiser and Speedster strength and defense wise. Would be able to pull of combo attacks and would get energy boosts for succesful combo attacks.
    • The Tech, weaker than the Fighter offensively and defensively but not as much as the Bruiser or Speedster. Would have powerful Buffs and Debuffs and would be able to absorb energy from enemies.
    -Hero characters would fit into or would be a mix of these archetypes. BB would be a speedster, Lugnut a bruiser, and Prime would be a mix of fighter and tech.
    -Players would also be able to pick from a mix of superpowers, each giving a different set of abilities.
    -And finally players would be able to pick their weapon, such as axes , hammers or guns, each coming with further special abilites, adding further to customisation.
    -There would be a semi-linear story campaign for both factions, playable with heroes or custom characters.
    -There would also be a multiplayer mode in which players can use their custom characters in up to 16 vs 16 (not too large, not too small IMO) battles with a range of objectives such as capture the flag, king of the hill, deathmatch, territory conquest, kill an NPC.
    -In multiplayer, in a similar fashion to the Battlefront games, there would be hero characters for each side which would be unlocked for play during battle and would be stronger than regular characters, but could only be played for a short period of time.
    -There would also be a co-op for up to 4 players, either playing through the campaign or a survival mode where it's just you and three buddies against hordes of enemies.