What would YOU have done as a set for Botcon 2012?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Thundershot, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It seems that this year's set is the most unpopular since 2005... Like I've said before, it's possible because it's such a mish mash of things... Masterforce (Overlord, Metalhawk), Diaclone (Magnus, Tracks), and Original Shattered Glass (Soundwave, Treadshot). If they had stuck with ONE THEME, I think it would have gone over so much better...

With that all in mind, what would you have done to get this set to sell out.. This is JUST for the boxed set. What figures would you have used? What theme? Which 3 head remolds would you have done? Also keep in mind that you can't use any licensed movie molds, and try to avoid reusing past Botcon molds.

I would have gone with a Masterforce set.

Gigatron/Overlord - Cybertron Megatron (new head)
    Cancer - Cybertron Menasor (new head)
    Browning - Legends Generations Megatron
    Go Shooter - Generations Jazz (new head)
    Minerva - Generations Tracks
    Cab - Energon Inferno (with Roadblock's head)

Yes, there's two larger figures and normally there would never be a leader figure in a Botcon set. The alternative is to use Energon Megatron and have the tank painted up like Overlord. As for Energon Inferno, if he's got a lot more darker red, and dark gray, with the different head it would be different enough. I couldn't think of another mold..

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would've gone with a mixture of Diaclone and obscure/Japanese characters in the Classicsverse:

Road Rage (Deluxe Tracks)
    ______ Optimus Prime/Powered Convoy (Voyager Optimus Prime)
    Enemy (Scout Rumble)
    Stripes or Howlback (Universe Ravage)
    Metalhawk (Deluxe Cyclonus w/'bot head)
    Bugly (RotF Sea Spray w/new head)
    Scorponok/Megazarak (Energon Scorponok in G1 colors)

Two pack I:
    Magnificus (Deluxe Perceptor)
    Macabre (Deluxe Scourge w/new head)

Two pack II:
    Rotorstorm (RotF Tomahawk)
    Slipstream (RotF Terradive)

Free Attendee Figure:
    Bluestreak (Blue Deluxe Silverstreak)

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Last Stand of the Wreckers. It's way, way overdue.

Tomahawk as Rotorstorm
    Hound as Ironfist
    Warpath as Impactor
    Inferno as Pyro (yes, again, with a new head)
    Terradive as Snare
    Silverbolt as Overlord (yes, it's not optimal, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we're getting)

I'm REALLY hoping Funpub takes a break from jerking off into the sky with Shattered Glass after this year.

4. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Anything not Animated.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Metalhawk would not be the inside Pretender that's for sure.

His robot mode would be based on the inner robot.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I like a lot of your mold choices, but there's one or two I'd change.

First off, instead of Warpath, Impactor should be a Darkmount/Straxus retool. A new head and some clever paint would do just fine, as it's more accurate to the IDW design (if the shoulder pads are left folded on the chest, covering the upside-down triforce details) than a cannon chest, while he retains the hook/harpoon weapon as Straxus's pickaxe. He looses the shoulder cannon, but he's got all those little clip weapons to make up for it. Plus, I think the mold would look good in orange and purple.

Overlord...well, naturally he's the tricky one since nothing even compares to the original. I'd have to support the idea of a Cybertron Megatron retool. Scratch Snare from the set (he seems more like a souvinir set guy anyway, although I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought he'd make a great Terradive retool) to make up for costs, and it might work.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

War for Gobotron.

Yes, I'm serious. Let's look at our options:

Wreck-Gar (new head) as Renegade Cy-Kill
    Seeker Mold (new head) as Guardian Leader-1
    Higbrow (new head) as Renegade Zero
    Drift/Blurr (new head) as Guardian Turbo
    Conehead Mold as Renegade Fitor

You could even take Drift's long sword and have it be Fitor's weapon, in reference to Blue Jet from the Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos anime.

Four new heads? A bit much, sure, but I think it's crazy enough to work. Also, I'm not completely sold on using the Seeker mold for Leader-1, but I couldn't think of anything better that would come close to matching his basic design, at least from recent years.

Rough fiction idea - Gobotron, one of the far-flung aspects of Primus, is in its last days. The planet's very existence is threatened by Unicron's energies, and while many of its inhabitants have put aside their differences to work towards a solution, one sees the turmoil as an opportunity for conquest. Zero, the former Renegade commander, has returned with the intent of destroying all who oppose his plans for Gobotron. Only Leader-1 and Cy-Kill, bitterest of enemies, can stand against him with their ragtag forces. Will they defeat Zero and save their world, or will the new Renegade Empire last only long enough to fall to the world-devouring Unicron himself?

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anything but Shattered Glass.

But seriously, it's the 10th anniverary of RID. Can you say missed opportunity?

9. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think its closer to Armada's tenth anniversary at this poi.. *dodges tomato projectiles*

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hah...

What about a couple of figures to represent different shows instead of just one?

*dodges pineapple*

11. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While i like many of those, it's still a mish mash like this year... Also many of those molds have been used for Botcon already.

Hound has been used, and we already have Pyro. I like the others... Overlord would be great as Cybertron Megatron, though. Even the Leader Energon Megatron (tank and jet).

As I grew up loving Transformers and hating Go-Bots in the 80's, I can say I wouldn't want this at all.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

They should have done a RID theme instead.

13. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I DIDN'T MAKE IT FOR YOU /Frank-N-Furter

14. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Night of the living sparkless.

Voyager DOTM Shockwave - Zombie
    Deluxe ROTF Mudflap - zombie
    Deluxe ROTF SKids - zombie

Deluxe - Big Daddy - The Rebel
    Voyager DOTM Megatron - The Trucker
    Deluxe - Cyclonus - The police
    Deluxe - Energon Arcee - The medic
    Scout- Backstop - The Black guy

Attendee gifts

Scout - Oilpan - zombie
    Scout - Delaserbendor - Zombie
    scout- Skytalker - Zombie

15. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

RID set
    box set:
    universe wheeljack as prowl
    universe ironhide as xbrawn
    universe inferno as optimus
    rts optimus as scourge
    foc onslaught as mega octane
    rid megabolt as megatron

attendee:
    generations blurr as hotshot

attendee pack:
    foc vortex as rotor
    foc blast off as movor

attendee pack:
    foc brawl as armorhide
    foc swindle as rollbar

custum figure:
    classics astrotrain as railracer

i didnt include sideburn because collectors club sideburn would fit well

16. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I realize that... but do you think a Go-Bot themed set would sell? Honestly?

Sure, it has a unified theme, but enough people would have to really want it for it to be successful. Maybe I'm wrong...

The most successful sets (and fan-favorite) are 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011. They all have unified themes outside of the comic of the year to appeal to people that don't care about the fiction.

I chose Masterforce and Diaclone as two themes that could appeal to people as a set. Masterforce is "lost" G1 to most of the world, and Diaclone is pre-Transformers and e-hobby characters.

Now, RID is a set people have been clamoring for, but we've only got a few figures here and there (that have been retroactively added to G1). I know very little about the RID fiction, but it sounds like they should wait until next year or 2014 so they can do a RID Combaticons + RID Scourge boxed set.

A set *I* would like to see that would be unpopular with most people would be a Unicron Trilogy 10th Anniversary boxed set... Unfortunately, some of the obvious ones have already had the molds used.

Decepticon Boxed Set

Megatron - ROTF Bludgeon (new head)
    Wheeljack - Universe Sideswipe (new head)
    Demolishor - HFD Hailstorm (new head)
    Cyclonus - HFD Tomahawk
    Thrust - HFD Jetblade
    Starscream - Classics Starscream

Autobot Boxed Set

Jetfire - RTS Lugnut (new head)
    Sideswipe - RTS Jazz
    Ironhide - Generations Perceptor
    Roadblock - RTS Grapple
    Hot Shot - Universe Hot Shot (new head, blue Cybertron colors)
    Blurr - Generations Blurr (new head)

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Aren't leader figures unavailable to use? That would rule Cyb. Megatron out.

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Let us look at what we have seen before in the FunPub Botcon Sets?

Descent into Evil
    Games of Deception
    G2 Redux
    Shattered Glass
    Wings of Honor
    Dawn of Futures Past
    Whatever the Animated Set was called as I haven't memorized it yet.

What eras do these represent?

Descent into Evil is a Bridging Gap between G1 and Beast Wars
    Dawn of Futures Past is Beast Wars
    Games of Deception is 'G1' in Classicsverse
    Shattered Glass is FunPub's own Answer to the Mirrorverse
    Wings of Honor is 'G1' in the Sunbow era, with some hints of amalgamation taking elements from Animated and such
    G2 Redux is a G2 Universe
    Stunticons Set is an Animated tale that the fans really loved

There seems to be an overarching theme here, with few exceptions a lot of the sets are directly tied into the originator. Generation One. However we also have figures that represent many realities in new forms. There's Beast Wars, G1, Animated, RiD, G2, Japanese Era G1 and... Well Shattered Glass is the odd one out is it doesn't represent any previous era.

So I'm going to say this, FunPub has really missed the mark with this year, tons of these figures from the past are still sought after today by small percentages of the fan base who enjoy the figures. I think we can agree that this years set is universally mediocre to uninspired and definitely something that most fans do not like.

What would I have done differently for this years set?

Well I'm going to give it a Maximal Try.

Beast Machines Re-Born:

2007 Movie Incinerator as Obsidian
    2007 Movie Wreckage with new head as Strika
    Universe Cheetor as... Well Cheetor, but with Night Slash Cheetor's coloring from the original BM toyline
    RotF Skystalker as Nightscream with a head re-mold, representing his pre-beast body
    HftD Terradive as Jetstorm with a head remold.

What's the storyline about? After the Finale of Beast Machines, Nightscream and Silverbolt stumble across one of Megatron's nasty little devices. It attacks and activates a virtual reality program, this explains why the molds don't entirely match the BM aesthetics. Silverbolt becomes affected by a shell program which reverts him to his Jetstorm persona, meanwhile Cheetor is tasked by the other Maximals in venturing into the program while Rattrap and Black Arachnia work on hacking in and preventing him from killing Nightscream.

Why would anyone want something involving a virtual reality? Well that's the whole point, it's to show an alternate take on the BM era's story telling. Personally I think it would be a neat story idea. I'm pretty sure none of those molds are licensed. Incinerator was never repainted and I wouldn't mind seeing that mold brought back in any way it could.

Anyway, that's my idea for what they could have done instead of what they did, it is a uniform theme. The extra exclusives could have still been from other FunPub themes if they wanted.

I just think that the BM story hasn't used all of its potential, it deserves another chance, even if only in Botcon form.

19. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I totally read the thread title wrong and came in here thinking it was a "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" kind of thing.

EDIT: And then realized I made a completely useless post.

20. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

One, I was just being snarky. 'tis all in good fun. I know I'm in the minority of GoBots supporters, hence my user title.

Two, Bugbite proved to be highly sought after, and while he's an homage to the eHobby toy, he's still a reimagining of the GoBots character, not to mention the fact that GoBots are a valid, if distant, part of the TF multiverse.

Three, the question posed was what the poster-in-question would've done, not if they thought it would be feasible to do so, or if it would be profitable. I just want more GoBots homages in my TFs, that's all.