What would you guys say are your all time favorite "Amazing Spider-man" Arcs?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gears, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So a few weeks ago I got the complete ASM collection on dvd-rom. I'm finding some of the early issues to be kind of boring. I want to jump to the good stuff. So I'm looking for the best ASM arcs of all time from the whole run. Post your picks here!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Death of Gwen Stacy
    The first Venom Saga
    Maximum Carnage
    Spider Slayers

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Any of them where Spider-Man has a cold and gets lots of *'s around his head.

Fucking gold.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It is really one of the lesser known arcs, but I loved the Death of Jean DeWolff\Sin Eater arc.

Captain DeWolff was killed "off camera". It was just something that happened and there ws nothing Spider-man could have possibly done to protect her. He just hears about it from another cop.

It took her death for Peter to realize how important she was to him, and he went through the grieving process very realistically. I really felt bad when he discovered all those pictures she kept of him as Spider-man.

He also tried to use his powers in a new, yet logical way to help solve the crime. He tried to see if his Spider-sense could tune into evidence.
    In a stroke of brilliant writing, it did not work.

I like that much better than today's stories with "I have organic web-shooters now. Oh no I don't anymore.", "I have stingers! But I'll use them only twice -ever!", "I can carry things on my back like a real spider carrying eggs!. Joy!" and my favorite "I have insect telepathy, ants sure are friendly. Oh wait, the only thing dumber than talking to fish is talking to bugs. I'll never mention that 'power' again."

It also offered a realistic reason for both teamwork and tension between Spider-man and Daredevil.

As far as a more supervillain type story, I think the original Norman Osborn\Green Goblin arc is one of the best in Spider-man or any book.
    The Goblin was one of the first villains who really had a vendetta against Spider-man and actively sought to learn his secret identity so he could punish those he cared for.
    And we all know in that respect he succeeded.

5. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Oh, Brand New Day, hands down. *cough*

Seriously, I love Maximum Carnage (I hope that your DVD has all of it - some of the issues were in other comics since it was a crossover). I also liked the Other, which puts me in a minority, I know. And his join-up with the New Avengers was cool too.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Maximum Carnage isn't fully on the DVD. It crossed over to Unlimited, Spectacular, and Web of. And was Jean DeWolf in amazing? I know the Sin Eater acr was in Spectacular.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Good call. Excellent story...but it ran in Spectacular, not ASM. I was going to add Kraven's Last Hunt, but that was one of them crossovers that ran through Spectacular and Web.

Death of Gwen Stacy/Green Goblin for sure. Hobgoblin origin and ensuing appearances in the mid-200s. IMO, you still can't go wrong with the entire Michelinie/McFarlane run. The origin (#298-300) and second encounter (#315-317) with Venom. I loved/still love The Assassin Nation Plot (#320-325). The Carnage origin (#344 as Kasady, #360-363 as Carnage) is good, but Maximum Carnage sucked. Too many characters littered across too many titles with a shitty ending. Typical early '90s dreck.
    Lotta people dinna like it, but the "Spider-totem" storyline that kicked off and then weaved in and out of JMS' run is what got me buying the book again after dropping it before the Clone Saga got out of hand.
    Speaking of which, there's like a five year swath of issues in the mid-late '90s that suffer from crossover syndrome in that every issue was part of a multiparter running through one or more of the other Spidey titles. They won't make much sense, but then...they weren't that good. Maximum Clonage FTL.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Death of Jean Dewolfe was great ac. I believe peter david wrote that. It's also the reason Eddie would become Venom. Many of the Mcfarlane stories with Michiline writing were really good. More because of the writer than the artist. The roger sterm early eighties era was good too.The hobgoblin original story arc while he was writing was excellent, once he left it fell apart. Another great story is nothing can stop the juggernaught.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man, not Maximum Carnage.

That storyline made some of the worst X-Crossovers look like Charles Dickens.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yup yup, even when spidey had those captain universe(?) powers and he could fricking fly. mcfarlane then was just a joy to behold.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - The first few Venom appearances, through and including the fight with Spider-Man on the beach in ASM #317 (?).
    - Maximum Carnage - Mostly for the sake of nostalgia, as this was the first Marvel story arc I ever read. The only "good" issues are parts 1 - 5 and 14, and it got completely out of hand when Captain America and his B-List Buddies started showing up, but I have fond memories around it.
    - Peter's Parents story-arc - Started somewhere around the 360s and lasted through the 380s, IIRC. While it was obvious they were fakes, I thought the story played out well and the ending was a great moment. Unfortunately, led to Peter becoming incredibly emo for a good long time.
    - ASM #400 - One of the best deaths in comics. Very well-written, emotional and touching. Sure, it's right in the middle of a bunch of Clone Saga garbage, but most of that was pushed to the side for this issue. Was an excellent send-off the Aunt May and it's a shame they retconned it.

I also liked some of the early Clone Saga stuff, and Spider-Carnage, but neither of those were exclusive to ASM.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Oops.
    Yeah I didn't know it was only for the "Amazing Spider-man" book.
    It's only in the title and the first post.
    :confused2 

13. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Clone Saga

*runs and hides*

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Honestly, you'd be surprised at how many people enjoyed the Clone Saga. It was a great story but was screwed up for one reason, it lasted to long. Should have been a year tops but ended up going for 2. And many people actually really enjoyed Ben Reilly.

I still say they should have ended it with Heroes Reborn and sent Scarlet Spidey to the Reborn universe as a character in the Avengers book. Then when they came back, he could have gotten a solo book somewhere.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm probably in the minority here, but Eric Larson's run on ASM was my favorite.

Started right after McFarlane. So in the late #320's/early 330's. The "Revenge of the Sinister Six" arc was awesome. And it was followed up shortly by my favorite Venom storyline, with Pete and Brock on a tropical island.

16. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What people need to do is read Life of Reilly, no matter what they thought of the clone saga before, they'll at least find the behind the scenes stuff interesting. Unfortunately, the server of it seems to be down at the moment.

17. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I've actually sat and read that entire page. It's an excellent read and shows a hell of a lot of the inner workings back in the day in a light I never thought of.

Can I get a 'Bring Back Ben Reilly"?

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excellent article and definitely required reading, as it's a good description of how both the Clone Saga, and comics in the '90s in general, went horribly wrong. The stuff about outside interference in the story production (editorial, marketing, etc) is especially relevant to consider in the wake of One More Day.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find it hilarious that in the first 8 issues Spidey gets in fights with the Fantastic 4 twice (One time trying to impress them so they let him join, and one time trying to steal Human Torch's girlfriend.) And also Green Goblin's first appearance where he confronts Spidey on a broomstick and tells Spidey he wants him to star in a movie with him and "the Enforcers" Spidey beat up in an earlier issue...and Spidey falls for it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  20. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Anything by David Michelinie is probably kick ass, especially when Mark Bagly was the artist and especially especially his Venom stuff.