What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AnimatedFan, Mar 27, 2009.

1. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Like many of you, I purchased the 2007 Movie figures, and I love them dearly.
    Problem is, ROTF is coming, and some figures such as Starscream and Optimus are clearly the better of the two molds compared to their first incarnations from '07.

Well, as per my rules for collecting, I see no need to keep two figures of the same guy, regardless of whether or not they're an entirely different mold, or a repaint, etc.

So, now I have to give the old heave ho to a few figs (still for sale btw! Low prices!) and I've noticed something....

The market's pretty much dropped out on these. Leader Class Prime was selling at a premium just a little while ago, now you can get him for bargain basement prices. (Same goes for the coveted Concept Camaro Bumblebee!)

Or am I wrong on that?

I finally sent an email to BBTS seeing if they'd be interested in buying the figures (hopefully I'd get what I'm asking for here, though highly doubtful.)

But even if I can't sell them, space has become an issue and they must go. So I'm considering donating them to Goodwill, or at my girlfriend's insistence, a Ronald McDonald House, or Children's wing of a hospital (though I'm not sure how you go about doing that, to be honest.)

I'll see what BBTS says before I make a final decision one way or the other.

Anyone else in the same boat here? Am I wrong on the market thing, or is there really no market for the original movie's figures?

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They aren't 'shiny' anymore, and are being replaced by better versions. There won't be a market for them besides the SS variants, which will lose their collectability if the new mold is given the same treatments.
    Don't donate them to Goodwill or any thrift-store-type of place. They'd just end up being marked at a dollar and probably end up on eBay anyway.
    Give them to the RMcD house or a shelter.

3. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

Wait till christmas and give them to l'armée du salut and such, any organism that favors helping children in a defavorise environment

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe you can try a trade in the Junkion Exchange. There might be some people who have stuff they want to get rid of that you want, and want what you got.

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I usually do Toys for Tots myself.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This may sound really silly, but if that was me I wouldn't be able to give them to children.

I'm not saying I'm against donating or giving them away, I've done that. But those TFs I donated/gave away were the ones I did not "hold dear". If I liked that toy so much I can't bear to think they might be thrown around or buried broken in the bottom of a toybox.

Say, if I really love Movie Prime, and if I really want to give away the figure to spread the love or whatever, I'll buy another one for that purpose. Just not the one I own. If I must sell the one I got attached to, I'll sell him to a fellow fan (I know this doesn't guarantee a nice second life to the toy, though...) so that the toy will have a better chance to stay intact.

I hope you'll find a solution you are happy with, AnimatedFan :) 

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's an interesting conundrum, and is likely to be repeated again for a lot of people when TF3 arrives. Although I can't imagine a better leader class Prime than the one we're getting for ROTF, I said the same thing about TF1 leader Prime, so there you go.

I give TONS of toys away to my friend's kids... got any friends or family with kids that are TF fans? They'd probably love a chance to get at a few of those.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    If there is no good option for you and you feel you want to give them to charity, that's awesome.

But another thought is maybe keeping them in storage for a couple years and see if people who got back into transformers during ROTF are interested in picking up tf's from the first movie and maybe driving the market back up. my 2 cents.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Could take it to a firehouse, ask a fireman to give it to the next kid that loses his home.

10. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I lost interest in the movie toys in the middle of last year and was inthe same dilemma. I sold them to a local toy shop for a littlle below retail :(  But if went towards my Universe/Classics. :) 

11. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Im glad I held out for TF2 after we didn`t get the premiums. Best thing to do is give them to kids, but try and find some you know or something. At least then they go to a good home.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If by "we didn't get the premiums" you mean the UK - we did! The Entertainer and Sainsburys had pretty much all of 'em. "Deep Space Starscream" (the Premium equivalent for that character) is lurking at £6.99 in Argos still...

13. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Give them to charity. The second hand market for Movie toys is over saturated. You're not going to get anywhere close to what you paid for them.

14. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    One can of white paint, one can of blue paint, a little time, and Presto! Movie Ultra Magnus. Keep him in the collection or sell him as a custom.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    pass on the upgrades of the new charecters except for optimus and megatron. i mean ratchet and voayger's prime are just repaints nothing excitied to be about.

16. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I wasn't expecting BBTS to respond quite so fast, but they did and I decided to take their offer. When I realized how much money I'm going to need to pick up (most of) the first wave of ROTF (plus Animated Arcee and Electrostatic Soundwave), I decided to go ahead and take their cash offer. It wasn't anywhere near what I paid (which is to be expected) but it's higher than I had imagined.

So, I'm one step closer to ROTF funding. That's one piece of the hurdle beaten.

I do wonder though, if ROTF takes off like everyone's hoping/expecting it to and anything movie starts selling....will we see the market for these figures climb back up?

17. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I have seen what you mean in the case of prices going down for TF1 figs. But any I do have, I'm keeping, or don't plan to get rid of any time soon. I plan on getting guys like Screamer, Prime, and Megs, but I'll keep the old ones too.

18. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ive sold almost all my first movie figures for ROTF toys so far everything weve seen is ten times better than the first ones

hell the only movie figure I intend to keep from the first one is Landime and maybe Fracture

19. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Meh.. i'm just gonna keep my TFTM figures and setup a second group of shelves for the ROTF stuff.

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never opened any of my movie toys. I just display them on a shelf. I put them up for a 30-day BIN on eBay for a few dollars over store price and sold every one of them.