What would you do?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DeathStorm, Jul 20, 2007.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Hypothetical here...well, not so much, it happenned to me a few years ago and I've thought about it off and on since then.

My neighbors had a HUGE garage sale to raise money for their son who was diagnosed with cancer. It was advertised for weeks and the turnout was excellent. I helped a bit and noticed while setting things out that they had some G1s in decent condition. Not entirely complete and some weren't in the best of shape, but still a nice collection. I was told they were part of a box of old toys the son had while he was a kid.

The parents had no clue what they were selling and this was before I started collecting. However, I knew they were worth more than the .50 or few bucks they were asking for them. I distincly remember a Metroplex (body only) and they only wanted $2.00 for him. There were the seekers as well (complete) and they wanted $1.00 each.

So here's the question...what would you do? Tell them what they had and that they'd get more money selling them online, mark up the price at the garage sale on the off chance a collector stopped by, buy them yourself and resell them for their value, or buy them yourself and pay what you thought they were worth?

I don't know what prompted me to post this but I'm curious.

EDIT: Just wondering if anyone has actually found some decent TFs at garage/yard sale?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd probably buy the lot up, ebay it, then give them the cash (sans listing fees and other costs)

3. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buy all of them at their price, keep what you want, sell the rest on eBay or here, then give the profit to them.

EDIT: Doh! Beat me....at least we think alike!!!

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

If it's a regular garage sale with people I didn't know, buy em for what they asked. If it was the charity cause like this one, I'd let the parents know and pay what they are worth. The parents just don't know and aren't trying to gouge people, they are raising money for a good cause.

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Usually if I buy something and I get it for way below what its worth... it's gonna stay in my collection. If it was something I normally wouldn't buy... I might say you could get more on eBay.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

give em what you honestly think they are worth due to condition and pieces acquired. or help em sell them for more. specially complete seekers

7. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I got a seaspray and beachcomber the other day for $0.25

As for what you can do, I would just keep them. I am not trying to sound dickish, but If they were in not-so good of condition, It wouldnt add more than a few bucks anyway so It doesnt matter.

8. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I would give a bit more than $1.00 for them (Seekers). I'd give em like $15 each, and keep them. If they weren't my neighbors, I would buy em for the $1 and keep them.

~Z