What would you do if...?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chaos Incarnate, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Think back to almost 25 years ago, when we were kids and life was great. Transformers were huge, though still in their technological infancy.

What would you do if someone handed you a modern marvel of Transformers? MP Prime? THS-02 Convoy? Music Label Soundwave? Classics? What effect would these have on us G1 kids? What effect would these have on the industry back then? Would TF tech advance in huge step, or would it be hampered by production technology of the day? What if?

Personally, if someone had handed me a modern toy, I may never touch my (then) current stuff again. We look back on it now with rose tinted glasses, but (I feel) no kid would look at MP Prime and G1 Prime and say, "No thanks, I'll stick with the brick" However, if corporate engineers were able to get their hands on and backwards engineer a modern TF, I think that it would advance the figures a bit, but I don't know if they could design something as advanced as that. Modern TFs stand on the legacy of their forefathers, and ideas are built on the foundation of the previous generation.

What do you guys think?

(sorry if this kind of thing comes around a lot, I haven't seen one, but I've also been gone for over half a year.)

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I've wondered this before. :)  I was six years old in '84... I think if someone had handed my 6-to-8-year-old self a Classics figure (much less an MP or Alternator) my little head would have exploded from the coolness. Assuming, that is, that I could figure out how to transform the thing.

You're not wrong about the rose-tinted glasses. I think one reason I like Alternators/BT's so much is that they actually LOOK like what the G1 Autobot cars SEEMED to look like to my kid-eyes. I never saw the brickiness, the wonky proportions, or the parts-forming... I just saw a cool robot that turned into a car. Even the size of Alts feels about right, proportionately speaking... that is, they seem to be about the same size in relation to me that the G1 cars did when I was six.

Anyhow, bit of a digression there. But yeah, I think most kids would have opted for our modern figures. But then, that goes for any technology. I remember thinking how cool Walkmans were... an iPod would have blown my mind.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    snapped it in half within the first five minutes of play time, proclaimed it as crap, and went back to playing with the durable headmaster figures.

I prefer the newer stuff of course, but durability was key back then. if it couldnt survive being "shot down" and crashing into a tree, it wasnt a very good toy.

this is why none of my 84-85 figures survived.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well... I had Jetfire as one of my first TFs, and he is still pretty damn advance. I still liked the rest of my toys- at that age that kinda stuff hardly mattered to me. If there arms could point their guns forward, I was happy.

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I personally look at Runamuck, Runabout, Twintist, Topspin and think.....What were they thinking!!!! What a pile of junk. Even back when they were new I never bought them. As a matter of fact, the only reason I have them in my collection today is that I wanted them all. I actually got Topspin and Twintwist for free I just could not bring myself to pay any price for them even today.
    The thing to contemplate is if they had made classics, MP and the such back then.... Just think what Transformers would look like today!!!

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would probably be very impressed the toys could move both legs independently of each other, wonder why there's no metal in them (if we're talking 1986 or before) and run a severe risk of popping all the ball-jointed limbs off repeatedly until they're looser than (sexual metaphor of your choice here)

On the other hand, I would probably have problems with toys like MP or Alternators because they are complicated and frustrating and take a long time to transform, for kids and adults. One of my favorite toys of the G1 days was Scamper, the little car that came with Metroplex, in part because I could transform him at about the same speed as the bots did on the show.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

I'd say not that much effect on the industry. While it would be technically possible to reproduce the figure, the cost of replicating suitable modern plastics and the unusual complexity of, say, an Alternator/Masterpiece mold would pretty much ensure that it remained a curiosity, nothing more.

8. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

It’s funny…

I prefer different 80’s toys over their newer carnations and vise versa.

Star Wars toys then vs Star Wars toys today = earlier was definitely better than later.
    Action figures and vehicles were awesome. Now they just seem to be garbage to me and not worth collecting because Hasbro just re-releases every collection over and over and over and over and over again.

GI Joes were always awesome 12” characters to the 4 inches with lots of choking parts coming every package. The 80’s GI Vehicles were hawt…I mean so many choices and things to buy with your 4” characters. I understand that they are aimed towards collecting now but they were nicer back then…no offence to the sigma 6 chars because they are pretty cool themselves. But there was a period of time they were solid plastic (early 90’s?) with severely limiting articulation/pose ability. Then right back to the 4” toys with less guns etc…

Transformers have always been dope, consistant, and ahead of their time. Where you had to buy a vehicle and action figure separately before, they were 2 in 1 (most of the time). 2 birds 1 stone. I may have not liked certain toy releases. That followed after G1 but I always watched toy stores and saw what was out and picked up an occasional toy here and there if I really liked it. I did find a purple meg t-rex a few days ago I one of my old stored boxes in the garage.

I think if you brought the new to the old it would have changed everything dramatically. For the time they were released, was how it should have been and how it will always be to think of taking new toys back then would be silly. Natural progression is my thing so I am happy with what childhood memories I have of the biggest things to play with growing up.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'd probably play with it for awhile until I moved on to something else or Ibroke the damn thing like I did my three original G1 Primes.

I think of all the different toys I played with back then and how I have none of them today I kind of feel embarrassed.

However, whenever it comes to time travel I'd be more worried about grabbing every single GI Joe, Star Wars, and Transformers figure I could get my grubby little hands on.

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I've thought about it, but it doens't make sense to me even on a hypothetical level. If I got handed a super articulate cool TF in 84' you could be certain that the next wave would be just like it... but the first ones would still have affectional value...
    So in essence I understand and respect the question... but in my hindsight it doesn't make any sense....
    ...yea I hear some one whisper time travel...

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Time travel stories mostly end in near disaster or worse. Anyway, 25 years ago I was, erm, over 25. Even looking back at 84/85 with young adult eyes I still remember G1 Transformers fondly. Had a time traveler handed me a MP/20th Prime back then I would have been amazed, delighted and awed but I don't think it would have changed my direction of collecting.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    so what? is this something like doc brown saying 'ITS YOUR TOYS, MARTY! SOMETHING HAS GOT TO BE DONE ABOUT YOUR TOYS!

i r confused.

13. Lord Chumley

Lord Chumley Well-Known Member

Only my combiner limbs survived. I took them in the bath, to the caravan they always endd up in my lego box covered in 2ft of lego. Ultra magnus and scorponoks piece vanished quick. The combiners were hardy as there bricky and terrible articulation. But cool back in the day. I always thought well if the toy was made like that or with this it would be better. Now we at lest get some decent stuff. But whats been said before, durability is very important, when your 3-12, not to mention people not looking wear there walking and treading on them ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

14. Skorpiya Nuka

Skorpiya Nuka Decepticon Fanfreak!

If someone handed me a TF toy it would be freed of its packaging immediately and I would commence playing with it. What's the point of buying a toy if you're not gonna play with it? I mean how boring do you have to be.

15. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if someone handed me a modern TF back in the 80's i'd sell the toy to hasbro and make millions :D 

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

GREAT SCOTT!

And I mirror what other people have said. The new toys are not as durible, so I likly would play with it, but loose interest after his arms broke off...

17. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

Well said. I felt that way too. I remember when I got my MP Optimus I was thinking to myself "This is how I "Rememebered" Prime being in my imagination", and exactly why I love the heck out of the Classics line.

I dont know that kids would be THAT blown away by them though.. I remember being little and thinking to myself that it'd be cool if TFs were "as posable as my GI Joes".. but by the same coin, I have a 6 year old nephew, and he's very much into TFs, and tends to play with some of the more simpler ones like G1 reissues as much as some of the modern stuff just because they're so much easier to actually transform. Some of the more complex ones tend to be kind of difficult, like 20th Prime.