What would you change?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by smkspy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Since every Transfan is an expert selling Transformers, if you worked hasbro; what would you now or in the past have changed to make Transformers line more successful?

for me

1.) upcoming

20th Prime should be all plastic and lower in price. This would not make him a shelfwarmer...again.

expand the classics line further

invest in a US cartoon with multiple seasons alla Beast Wars

2.) past

no universe line, I would have reissues most of the universe toys in their original colors under the reissue line.

Reissue would have been reasonably priced and would have been more varied in terms of molds.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

This is going to sound funny, but I would have made Alternators about half the size they are now (1:48 or 1:43 scale), but try to retain as much of the detail as possible and sell them for around $12... It could have been done that way.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Only thing I'd want to do is make Classics longer. They can scrap everything else and just work on that :p 

I agree with D_C about the Alts...they're pretty cool and all, but too big and too expensive.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

More playsets. MORE PLAYSETS.

Bases and stuff.

These supreme toys are cool enough, but they're just big Transformers, I want more playability.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I agree with this. We should definetly get a Classics Metroplex and a Classics Fortress Maximus that both turn into City's. I personally would make Classics longer, and make more reissues. Other than that, I can't think of anything. Peace out.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah. More citybots or playsets or Castle Grayskulls.

7. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

well what's best for the line and what's best for me are different things. I'd make a masterpeice/alternator megatron and soundwave for the US, import the starscream, and then keep making alternator decepticons until the budget ran out and the line was soon canned. I'd have what I want though so I'd be all set. I could sit with my "perfect" toys in my room and laugh maniacly as the other fans cry since the line was cancelled due to poor sales.

Really though, what's best for the line? I dont presume to know since I don't have access to the same data hasbro has. I think they're doing a swell job right now and anything I could say would be like telling NASA how to go about launching their next rocket.

8. smkspy

You did not just compare toys to NASA did you? LOL that just too funny

I can see how you would you don't presume to know, but in fact, I think we all know maybe even alittle better than Hasbro execs. After all, we're actually in the toy alises EVERY time we go to wal-mart, or pass a TRU. I think we see better than anyone what sells, how fast, and what doesn't. After a while, you start to see trends in the selling of mechandise. I wonder if Hasbro or any other toy maker employs store shopper that just roam from store to store to see what is selling and what isn't?

Like said with 20th Prime, we all know that he is gonna be a shelfwarmer unless this is a very limited release. Either Hasbro knows this but are releasing him aways or they simply can't read their print outs.

9. voltron2008

voltron2008 TFW2005 4 LIFE

I would change the complete theme of Transformers, I would introduce mature themed Transformers, With leaky hydraulic fluid like blood, sparks, and ripped off body parts lol what captivated me was when they were being FIXED like G1 ya know, and somemore swearwords, and a big word tossed in here and there to capture the older audience who is G1 a lil more, instead of targeting the young age group. But I really have to hand it to takara/hasbro they know what the hell they are doing and I would run em into the ground with my change lol!

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Such thoughtful wisdom is all-too-frequently absent among members of the fandom. I salute you, sir.

A domestically-produced, multi-year show. BW was able to accommodate and explain massive changes/upgrades to the characters within the context of one show, and had some thought been put into it, AEC could have done the same - still titled separately, but with a transitional episode or two for continuity.

I would like to see Universe get another chance, with someone else in charge of the selection, decos, names, and bios. There was a lot of potential there. I'd also like to see appropriate molds from the last few years be introduced into Classics to fill out and expand the line.

11. smkspy

very very true...it is often very difficult to seperate the fan from business practice, which is why I hope this doesn't become a "I want so and so toy made thread".

12. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Broad strokes...

1. Priceing/ size of toys : The size and cost of Transformers has grown out of control. It's time for it all to come back down a little. Hasbro seems to have figured this out in regaurds to the Classics Line with the $7-$20 price range, but I'm sure they will go back to their old ways for the next main line.

My set up
    $5-
    $10- Price where most of the figures should be
    $20- Only 4 figures (special cool characters)
    $30- Only 2 Leaders

If the line needs a big Transfomers they can go that extra mile, but not every year.
    $50- Only 1

2. Collection size : Smaller collections... about 35 figures released in each main line. 30 of those should be new molds -with 5 repaints which are different characters (not power-ups)

3. Waves: I'd eliminate this form of thinking. The line should be completed at launch. With only one exception.....

4. Christmas season : When the holiday rolls around, there should be an addition of 4 or 5 figures. Bringing the main line count to a possible max of 40. These would be super special figures that every TF kid will be asking for as their present!

5. Collector figures/line : (personally I'd like to see re-issues take up this slot.. but I think new figures do sell better,so ... )
    Masterpiece line- Focusing mostly on G1, but with additional figures from other eras. It would be great to have 1 come out each month, but more than likely it would be every other month. 6 figures a year -not one of them should exceed $50. Most should be $20-$30 depending on the character.

Collector Re-paints of the mainline: To sqweez more money out of each mold, the main line should be redone, and focused on the collector market -not kids. This line would not be traditional repaints... where it's usually an homage of some sort, or just simply reversed colors. This line would basicly be a major up-grade of the mainline. Where every/most figure(s) gets more paint applications, better packageing.... maybe even some re-tools for added articulation.

Media support-
    Cartoon : 26 episodes of the highest quality of production. This is the key point to get kids to love the mainline. A Saturday time slot..... or clusters of mini-series scattered through out the year, played weekdays. Traditional animation - with some CGI enhansments ( for extreamly complex scenes). Make a show so cool that every kid will want the toys.

OVAs- this should focus on the collector market, + fans of Giant Mecha and of animation in general. 3 episodes per release , with maybe 2 releases each year. These would be of the highest of high production value- serious storys with jaw dropping action.... and dealing with darker more dramatic situations. This would be open to any era of Transformers.

Comics-
    Kids -support of the mainline.
    Collectors- basicly what they've been doing

13. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Make sure all retail, in all states can aquire some of these wonderful transformers..

14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

As galvatron seem to always be based on megatron I would have him be a remould not just a repaint, I am sure they would sell a lot more if it looked like a new toy.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know about being an expert seller. Never sold a TF. However, I'd like to see a TF line based on present day real military vechicles and aircraft with realistic colors. US/NATO Bots versus (you name the enemy) Cons. Will it happen? Doubt it. Some Liberal element would declare it not P.C.

16. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I would too love to see the Classics go alot further, 2, or 3 years, they seem to be going my way with this, and have a show done in the US/Canada, that would bee nice.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to see what Hasbro doing what Bandai is doing with its Gundams - give them "multiple lines", for each different Generation and for collectors and for masses. That would totally rock!

For example, TF Classics for the mass but what about a more collector orientated like of our fave G1 characters with realist paint schemes and sculpts. Like Bandi's "Mobile Suit in Action" line vs "Gundam Fix" line...well, I guess I can only dream...

18. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

What I would do is to re-introduce the G1 characters, maybe update them a little where appropriate (that doesn't mean bug heads either) and build them at the same scale as before- the same scale as RID car brothers.

Here's the kick: build them the same way as the Beast Wars / RID car bros- ball and socket.

They would be popular, economical, and good looking.

Smaller scale Alternators: not a bad idea.

I would have "classics" as well- plastic molds with uber-detailing ala Spawn.

SB