What would you change?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ra88, May 27, 2006.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    First off: Only view this thread if you've read the reviews, I would hate to spoil it for you.

That said, thanks to the leaked script reviews we know a bit of what the story/events/characters/etc are going to be like, but there has been a lot of negative comments as well.

Now here's my question: What would you change from the current characters and plot, WITHOUT departing from the supposed plot (chase for Energon/Creation Matrix/Cube, Megatron showing up later, Decepticons wreaking havoc) and making it entertainable to both fans and newcomers at the same time (like the X-Men/Spiderman movies did)?

I'm curious because I have seen alot of negative comments, but no suggestions, aside for that Bumblebee should speak, the Decepticon names and Optimus having a mouth.

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If they are going to drastically change the characters, then they should be new characters. No point in having a movie inspired by G1 when the characters are nothing like their cartoon counterparts.

Optimus for example is like Superman, you don't change Superman. He wears a red cape, a blue suit, and is for Truth, Justice, and the American way. When they tried changing Superman, there was backlash.

I think most of us agree that Megatron should be a tank, considering many of the other G1 characters were jets.
    And, again, Megatron, while having a different look, is most well known for having a huge cannon on his arm.

If they don't think the gestalt idea is realistic, then don't put Devastator in. Have it be a different character who isn't a tank. If they are concerned about loosing the rights to the Devastator name, then just release a Devastator toy in the Titanium line, problem solved.

3. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I can't feel good or bad. All Bay said was that the script was old. He didn't say that things have been changed. He didn't say that things remained the same. We don't know whats been changed or not.

However, we can use a lttle logic and reasoning to figure what might be changed and what might not be changed.

Obviously, the trivial things that take little money or effort to change that have been pissing off the fans will be changed. For instance, in my opinion, Kennywave is an easy change. Change his name to some lame Decepticon. Remove all physical likeness of Soundwave from the robot. Remove all the lines in the movie that make the robot talk like Soundwave. Voila, changed! Seeing Rumble, Frenzy, Reflector, or some other lame-o Decepticon being decapitated would even be funny! Seeing him be 4 ft tall wouldn't be so bad then. They wouldn't have to change the plot at all.

Mutebee - I don't know. Some people said that they would be cool if he talked normall at some point in the movie. However, that might be a bad thing if people actually latched onto him talking through the radio. Then seeing his much more boring normal voice would make people want the radio back. However, if the radio is a huge annoyance, people will be grateful whenever he gets fixed.

I think Mutebee is an easy fix. Giving him some lines instead of radio-dialogue wouldn't be that hard. Nothing else would have to be changed as the voice acting hasn't even begun yet. What might be hard is trying to convince the guy who dreamt up which songs to play at which moment. He obviously would have spent a lot of brain power on thinking that stuff up so he might be hard to convince.

Optimus and Megatron being related isn't so bad to me, but I want to see Megatron much earlier in the film and have him fleshed out more. I want the Decepticons to have more speaking lines. I want the Decepticons to have more personality. I hope thy make Vortex into Soundwave.

The biggest thing I want is for the 70/30 ratio to be changed. I want more TFs. I don't see why a 50/50 split or even a 60/40 split in favor of the TFs wouldn't work. You would still have the human perspective to introduce the non-fans to the series.

Here are the things which I do NOT care about:

the color of the eyes of the TFs
    who voices the robots
    what color Prime is
    what Megatron transforms into
    if Ironhide is red or black
    if Megatron has a fusion cannon or not

4. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

* Make Bumblebee talk. Dear lord do this.
    * Make Vortex Soundwave, since that's clearly who he's supposed to BE.
    * Get rid of Scorponock and replace him with Ravage. Set the scene with the minion vs the millitary at night and Ravage would be more interesting anyway.
    * Make "Kennywave" Frenzy, and have him as another of Soundwave's minions.
    * Increase the scope of the Decepticon's personalities, so they, y'know, have some.
    * Make Megatron a tank, and have him show up a bit earlier.
    * Though we haven't seen them yet, don't cock up the aesthetics of the robots too much.
    * Attach someone that makes sense to the Decepticon tank and police car (indeed, I think they should pretty much get rid of the police car entirely).
    * Get rid of "Bonecrusher" entirely and replace him with a Decepticon that actually has something to do with G1.

I'd be overjoyed if Bumblebee wasn't a Chevvy (and indeed if GM was nothing to do with the project, since they make dull ugly cars), but unfortunately I don't think that's likely.

These are relatively small changes, but they'd make the thing SO much more coherant, nostaligic and fit G1 much better, IMO.

Phazer

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Uh, Bonecrusher IS a G1 'Con. He was the bulldozer that turned into Devastator's left arm.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's referring to the "Bonecrusher" placeholder name being attached to a mine-clearing vehicle, which is a form not much seen in G1, at least not early G1.

If I could change only one thing about the reviewed movie script, it would be to let Bumblebee talk. I could MAYBE see the radio-song-communication thing if BB was trying to influence humans without giving away his robotic nature, but as a sole method of communication it's cheesy and lame.

7. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

If the movie makers are committed to this "gimmick", there is a real easy fix that would make everybody happy (or at least satisfied with the situation); give him an orange paint scheme and change his name to Wheelie.
    BAM! Problem solved....

8. Jack Cade

Jack Cade Member

"Now here's my question: What would you change from the current characters and plot, WITHOUT departing from the supposed plot (chase for Energon/Creation Matrix/Cube, Megatron showing up later, Decepticons wreaking havoc) and making it entertainable to both fans and newcomers at the same time (like the X-Men/Spiderman movies did)?"

Now, *that's* a challenge! I think it would be extremely difficult to make a film that's entertaning for both fans and newcomers without changing the plot. Reason being, it's a rubbish plot. 'Object of Power' stories are rarely done well (I can think of one good exception, currently - Lord of the Rings.)

Making a film that would work for both audiences is really simple though. Simply take a handful of the existing characters, carefully re-introduce them and tell an original story.

I mean, all the producers/director have to do before shooting the movie is this: hire a team of designers to come up with up-to-date versions of the characters. Then hire a scriptwriter to come up with a decent story using these characters. That's it! The thing about updating a franchise is that the 'world' of the film is practically ready-made!

What's cocked this whole thing up is, a) that they've decided they have some kind of duty to reinvent the whole thing, and b) that Hollywood scriptwriters seem to be so unbelievably rubbish at their jobs. How many action films are built on a script that contains not *one* original idea, barely any memorable dialogue and a slew of plot holes? Too many to count. And how likely is it that this will be another one? Bearing in mind not one thing we've heard so far about the film is strikingly fresh, I'd say pretty, damn likely.

9. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Given these names are supposedly false placeholders and the form isn't remotely related to any G1 character (and by the sound of it said character has almost no role in the film at all) I stand by what I said.

Phazer

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The damn human/TF ratio. No excuse for it.