What would message boards be like in 1985?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Imagine, we have a full length animated feature coming up, and no one has any clue what it's going to be about. Rampant speculation ensues

"I heard Cybertron will transform"

"Starscream is going to kill Megatron and take over"

"Optimus will upgade to a car carrier and have armor"

"Bumblebee will die"

Can you imagine the fanboy reaction to Optimus' death on a message board? Or for that matter, Prowl, Ironhide et al? Not only would Hasbro have had to contend with all the angry parents, but all the uber-angry fanboys as well. Rampant calls of boycotts. Pictures of Rodimus with his head torn off. Demand for the comics increase when people give up on the cartoon for good.

Would it have happened that way, or am I exaggerating it?

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Exaggerating it quite a bit. Not everybody hated the movie. Just like now, there would have been a small, but overly vocal minority that threw a fit over every little detail and threatened boycotts and crap (most of which never following through on them anyways).

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    what would the be like?

"Hello? is anyone there? Hello? Helllloooo?"

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol  :lol 

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, with the current movie, a lot of the fit-throwing is linked to the fact the live-action version isn't going to be (somewhat/exactly) like what was done 20+ years ago. In 1985, there hadn't been anything before. Sure, maybe there would have been a few Diaclone purists complaining about the whole thing, but it probably would have been less hostile overall. Basically, there wouldn't be the "this is different than what happened before raping my childhood!1!1!1!11!!!!" that we've got now.

That said, I can see the 'Optimus Prime will die' idea not going over well on our hypothetical 1985 message board, particularly if the info got out (and it would, if the message board was anything like today's forums) that Hasbro insisted on killing him off as a blatant marketing gimmick. I could also see a lot of fan complaints about various other characters being killed/changed, particularly Starscream, Megatron, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Ironhide and Prowl. Unicron being a Galactus rip-off probably would have drawn some fire. The boards would have been filled with complaints about the loss of realistic alt modes. I can imagine there would have largely been praise for the selection of celebrity voice actors and fan backlash when it came out that Orson Welles hated the movie but did it anyways.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nah, a 85 message board would be us sending in letters to a TF magazine and seeing out opinions in print, every month!

Thinking about it, that would have been quite cool...

On topic, I really liked the Tf movie back then, Optimus Primes 'death' while a shock, didn't phase me too much. He's already died, been saved onto a floppy disk, and resurrected in the comics by then. I knew he was coming back.

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Indeed. After i saw Cyclonus for the first time, TFs were never the same again.

8. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Butz,I feel you're exaggerating quiet a bit

You're thinking like an adult fanboy.Kids in general are simplistic.They won't waste their time complaining about a TV show.If they don't like it they won't watch it and forget about it.

And boycotts again is something that only adult fans will call for.I doubt the average kid even knows what boycott really means anyway.Like I said if he or she doesn't like something on TV they just don't watch it.

And about adults complaining to Hasbro.That makes me laugh.Simply because I saw Optimus die originally,and I wasn't phased.Getting vexed over a 'toon character dying is silly.

Heck Disney movies like Bambi & Lion King killed character with WAY MORE heart.And I've never heard of Disney Retconning death because parents complained

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i did a for fun thread sometime back but instead of TFTM, it was ANH.

"omg have you guys seen it i hope that blonde kid ends up with the chick. that american grafitti cowboy guy = jerk."

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I've often wondered how we would have reacted to some things in G1 had G1 never happened. Of course it's purely hypothetical, but it's interesting to speculate regardless. Would we have accepted neon green and purple construction vehicles? Given our general distate for large quantities of yellow, orange, and other bright colors, what kind of outcry would Predaking have inspired?

11. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah looking at it that way... just a shot of Windcharger and Wheeljack dead on the ground would've started a "Save Wheeljack and Windcharger" campaign.

12. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

It would have been a lot like Usenet or Fidonet. ;) 

As to fan reaction... well, if we assume an anachronistic fan community like we have now, I think we would have to assume prior transformers series. In which case the childhood attachment people feel to their first series would be displaced to some earlier series. The end result being that there wouldn't be as much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

How would most of you guys feel if they did something like that for Cybertron. I'd personally think it was cool they were doing something so interesting. As for a marketing ploy - whatever. Toylines don't last more than 2 years anyway. The movie was an interesting way to keep the story going.

That said, I did and still do think the movie was awesome. For a movie narrative about a fiction designed for kids, I don't think it's ever been equaled. The deaths didn't and don't bother me simply because they were good deaths. Optimus died as a hero. Megatron died being betrayed. Starscream finally got what he had been asking for since 1984. The Autobots (that we saw) all died on their feet, fighting.

My only complaint would that I would have liked to see more screen time for the Autobots that died. But then, heck... that whole battle could have been stretched out into a movie.

As to shielding the kids from the deaths... well, I think shielding kids from all but the most horrible things is stupid and useless. The hangup we have culturally about death betrays a profound selfishness. We idolize youth, we chase it once it's fading, and we hate to see death because it reminds us we're heading there one day too. Deep down, I don't think a lot of people have much they think is worth dying for, not really. Otherwise depictions like this wouldn't sting so much.

In short, I can scarcely think of a safer environment for a child to learn about death than TF:TM. Rock on, Optimus.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I imagine it would have been a lot like a.t.t in 1996:

fan a: Brawn survived!!

fan b: No stupid, Megatron killed him!

fan c: Megatron? The guy Hot Rod conspired with to kill Prime?

fan d: Galvatron is not Megatron! You can't prove it!

Repeat ad nauseum.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    GIANT SHOULDER PADS. PASTEL LEISURE SUITS. UNSHAVEN FACES.

Yeah!

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm glad we didn't have public net/message boards back then. I'm nostalgic for a world with less means for people to be anonymous yet public arse-wads. :) 

That said, I remember the 3rd-wave TF toys coming out somewhat before the movie, and at the time I wondered what the deal was with these TFs with unusual vehicle modes and unusual names. "What the hell is Kup?" ... "What the hell is a 'Kup'? "

And of course... "Rodimus PRIME!?! GalvaTRON!?! Are they trying to replace somebody?"

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    A message board in 1985:

"Man, Hasbro are sooo lazy! First they repaint Starscream twice, and now they release repaints of all the Autobot cars!"

"Frenzy is blue, Rumble is red! Hasbro sucks!"

"Why the hell is Bluestreak not blue? Fuck Hasbro!"

"WTF is up with those crazy-ass red and yellow Bumblebee and Cliffjumper variants and that other toy? Do Hasbro actually have a fucking clue?"

"Why doesn't the comic follow the cartoon storyline? Can't Hasbro even make sure that their license is treated properly?"

"Bah, Transformers. Diakron was a lot better! Too bad Hasbro made Takara cancel it."

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hold on... thats what TF message boards sound like today... :wink: 

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I think the twenty, thirty, or forty-somethings back in 1985 would have griped just as many do today. I was 9 years old when TF:TM came out, and I didn't throw a fit over Prime getting killed or candy-ass Rodimus getting the Prime treatment. I was a kid and accepted Prime's death the way you do a good dog. Shit happens, quit bitching.

19. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  :lol  :lol 

This one's funny because it's true.

Wait haven't there been threads like that on TF boards within this past year? ;) 

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It would be full of 8 year olds.

Without the 20 years... even the 10 years, of history behind it, it would mostly just be kids arguing whether Jazz was cooler than Tracks etc.