What would make Jack an interesting character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Flashdisk, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know the autobots have got be the center of attention. But I think every character deserves a chance to shine. But I find the character of Jack a bit lack luster.

Out of all the characters in TF Prime he is the most average. In way that is good(he is the one most like us in their world), but I also feel that it has some negative implications as well. One problem is that there really is no clear path of character progression. Miko could become more responsible or gain more forethought as time goes by. Raff could gain bravery during the stressful circumstances, and we can get a revalation on his abilities. But what about Jack, how could his character progress?

One of the best characters I've seen in a tv series is the character Wesley from Whedon's tv series 'Angel'. In my opinion that was one of the best characters I've seen. He transformed from a bungling side kick to a complex character with depth, darkness,skill and competence. A really extraordinary transformation.

But for Jack, how can he progress? Is there really a clear character progression for him. Because if not, then he's going to get really boring really quick. He will be the stagnant background character that barely gets any screen time.

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I think Jack already is interesting. He started out kind of awkward and lacking in confidence, it got the better of him and he bailed on the 'bots. After a heart to heart with Miko and Arcee he stepped back up. I think Jack's arc will see him grow in confidence in his position as eldest of the wunderkinder. I hope they hook him up with an exo-suit at some point so he can get his fight on.

IMO Raff is the only one of the kids still lacking in any real development, but I bet he'll get his day.

3. Coaxial

Coaxial Hop on the beam

Too early to tell, IMO. Let's get through another 5-6 episodes and see how he's shaping up then.

4. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    If he lost both of his legs in a motorcycle accident while on Arcee.

Then the autobots could be like "yeah, these kids are a bad idea" and they'd never be seen again.

5. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a good point, Deceptijohn. Maybe Jack increase his confidence during that time, showing a bit of growth.

But the way I see it, I think Jack did have good reasons for leaving.

One is that the autobots seemed to be going into battle more frequently at that point in time. Optimus Prime wanted to guard Jack from danger, hence the guardianship. But would it really be safer to be near the soldiers in the front lines or to be with the civilians that they were protecting. Because it seemed to me, he got into more danger due to his involvement with the bots(and Miko and Raff) at that point in time. This makes the need to be with Optimus and his crew moot.

Second, he has no real special powers to fend of a Decepticon attack and no apparent special skills to contribute to the group. In fact most of his actions in the story involved him trying to keep Miko under control and get Raff where he need to go. That's not much to go on.

And third, it would logically be more difficult for Optimus to have to take care of humans while in the midst of the conflict.

And fourth, he has responsibilities which he has actual power over, his school, his job and his family.

And this leads to a slight problem I have with the show. The fact that some Jack's contributions to the autobot cause seems forced. This includes getting Raff and Miko into a governement facility without being caught. It seems unlikely that he could do that. And I don't remember any other thing he was able to help with(aside from trying to keep Miko under control).

So taking that into account, what can be done to change things?

6. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or they'd do an Autobot X episode like G1 :D  :gen069: 

jD001

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flashdisk, you hit the nail on the head regarding Jack's role. He's the responsible, down to earth member of the team, who tries to keep the others out of trouble. I expect as the series progresses he's going to take on more of a leadership role of the three of the kids.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    My idea is that Jack's social akwardness comes from his over-bearing mother and the fact that his father died in a horrible motorcycle accident.

The twist is that it was a Decepticon (Armada Sideways) speeding away that killed Jack's Father.

9. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I don't care what anyone says.

JackxArcee.

It's an interesting way to go IMO.

10. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I thought Jack is the most interesting character out of the three, and the least annoying

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Yeah...I actually like Jack the way he is. He does offset Raf and especially the looney girl.

12. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I like him the way he is - no change needed IMO