What would happen to the Transformers franchise if the movie tanks??

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wyvern, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I don't actually think it will tank....but what if it does??? What then? What will Hasbro do??? Will it take time off from the Transformers line and concentrate its resources somewhere else? Or will it just reboot like it always does with a new line?

2. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Even though I dont really know what Hasbro's future would be with toys in general if this movie tanks, I seriously doubt that it would be catastrophic or even terminal for the line. However, there is evidence out there that if this movie fails, so goes ANY of the the movies planned for Hasbro's other properties.

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think we'll still get a new toyline. Then if I mention Transformers to somebody he'd say "Oh I know Transformers. Went to the movie and it sucked, why do you like them?"

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro would just go back to the drawing board and keep thinking of new ideas until
    they make the line a success again. They've made too much money from TFs for them to ever abandon them.

5. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

the next mainline will start Xmas 2007, early 2008, with a brand new TV show made by Cartoon Network.

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

The same fans will carry on reading the IDW comics, and those fans will watch any new series that comes along (in addition to the built-in kiddie audience), buying any new TF toys with the same criteria as before the movie.

So I don't think anything will happen to the franchise if the movie fails (which I doubt it will)

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, there's that Cartoon Network made show coming out early 2008.

I seriously doubt that Hasbro would drop the line or even take a break from this if the movie tanks. But like Kranix 2K said, it's been eluded to on other boards that Hasbro's trying to use this movie to prove that other movies of their toy properties would be successful ie: GI Joe -which they've been trying to sell forever-. After all, they're trying to switch around how their properties work.

8. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of both Transformers and GI Joe, so I'd like to see both movies made. However; I've seen a minority on the GI Joe boards who have been gloating that TF fans get crappy movie designs (their opinion, not mine) and GI Joe fans get awesome 25th figures. It would be nice poetic justice if the TF movie designs they've made fun of ends up killing the GI Joe film.

Honestly, I think the TF movie will easily do well enough to at least spawn a sequel. Even if it does tank, I think Transformers will be around for quite some time, but we might see Hasbro taking fewer chances with extra lines (Alternators?) and maybe a re-imagining to re-vitalize the kids line if it's necessary.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    As others have said, Hasbro already has the next series after the movie in production, so they cant halt it now. I like to think Dreamworks would take a bigger hit than Hasbro in this instance.

10. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

The movie wont bomb, there are too many TF fans who are just happy to see this even attempted I personally will see it 2-3 times at least, not too often ill get to see Optimus large as life standing near a real person. Even if the movie were to fail... Transformers is an out of control force, a money making juggernaut toy wise. As long as there is new molds, new concepts there will always be new transformers.

11. Karl Hartman

Karl Hartman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And to think I remember the days 12 years ago when we got maybe 20-25 new toys that year. It is crazy to see how far things have come in a relatively short period of time.

I think the movie will do fine. Although, the 86 movie was what killed the G1 line in the first place, but that took another 4 years to do. If TFs are still kicking in 2011, I'll consider it a success. Or, if it makes more than Attack of the Clones did.

Karl

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Why does everyone say this? :inquisiti 

Am I the only person that thinks that if anything killed the G1 line it was the introduction of Nintendo and Sega & that the target demographic just grew up and changed?

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

That's silly, I collected BOTH as a lot of people did.

14. JinraiPrime

What killed TFs for me was the discovery of womans naughty bits, drugs and booze.

15. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I've heard a lot of panic amongst certain groups that a bad movie will mean the end of Transformers. But everything I've seen indicates that the movie and movie line of toys is an experiment on the part of Hasbro to see if they can turn toylines into big name properties. If the experiment fails, and I don't see much likelihood in that, but if it fails, the end result is "business as usual." In other words, the next cartoon and toyline will start, and we'll hear no further blip from the movie experience. It MAY cause them to refocus on design for the line following Heroes, as Heroes is probably far enough along already to be beyond changing, but outside of that, I doubt we'd see much in the way of long-term effects.

The more interesting prospect to me is, what if this movie is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE success? We're seeing something completely different here from previous Transformers toylines. The toys have more character, more complexity, more, for lack of a better term, fiddly-bits. It's sort of refreshing to see something different. So the question becomes, if it's a success, how does that drive the direction of lines following Heroes, or possibly even later Heroes molds? Do we get more gritty designs with more hard-core storylines in the main-line? Or does a huge success for the movie simply mean Transformers splits into two separate identities, the children's line, and the movie line? To me, THAT'S the interesting conversation to have.

Either way, this is going to be a big year for Transformers as we see the introduction of two completely different "main" lines in the Transformers property in the span of about six months, possibly less. That's going to be the fastest turn-around on mainlines in the history of Transformers, unless someone decides to count that little blip called Machine Wars. Completely different scale on that though, as Machine Wars never made it as far as having official fiction, let alone a cartoon OR movie to back it. This is going to be interesting to watch. And for those fans who've considered themselves completists for a long time, I have a feeling they'll be making a decision of which line is more important to them this year. There's just no way one person will be able to afford EVERYTHING that's coming down the pike that's Transformers related this year.

I'm certainly going to enjoy watching what happen with Transformers this year, that's for sure. Hopefully people can stop worrying so much about the "make or break" concept and just sit back and enjoy the ride. THIS is the best time EVER to be a Transformers fan. Let's try to make the most of it.

16. JinraiPrime

Dude Blackout Optimus and Ratchet are BADass and ill definitely pick them up and i believe thats pretty much the concensus (sp) on the boards overall. I ALMOST went for broke on a Blackout on ebay the other day.

17. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree - what killed the G1 line is that all the G1/G2 toys were being discontinued, so off went the characters in the movie. And this is supported by the director & producers OF THE FILM (see commentary on 20th ann DVD). Now, as to post-movie/Gen1 (is that even accurate, or is that G2?), that hurt the franchise cuz a lot of the storytelling wasn't even up to G1 standards - IMO.

And although I collected the comics, for me, it was very hit-or-miss, which while I continued to collect cuz i was a "true" TF fan, I don't remember enjoying a lot of the later ones. I didn't get re-jazzed about the actual comic story until middle of G2, as the whole Swarm/Jhiaxus thing was different.

And I agree w/ Nighflame- this will be a big year for TFs, either way. And if the 2007 movie does well, then I know I will be able to share this fresh part of geek-childhood w/ my son, rather than saving old stuff or scrounging (like the original cartoon eps until recently).

18. JinraiPrime

The movie will sort em all out you will see movie naysayers become champions for the cause, and people who were pro movie turning to the other side.... It wont have anything to do with the actual worth of the movie and more to personal preference of what we do and do not like to see in film.

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    :lol 

I also think the movie will do fine, and even if it does not Hasbro will keep going foward.

If nothing else I see this movie having some really good action/destrucion scenes (which I like to see in the theater) That shot from the trailer of Bonecrusher smashing through that bus looks awesome. It may not be Oscar worthy, but it sure looks like a summer blockbuster to me.

20. JinraiPrime

Dude the first time i see Oppy transform from truck to bot dude in front of me will be getting a boner in the back of the head.