What would happen to the Decepticons if...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Reflector Unit, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

...any of the various seconds-in-command were to take control, following the death of their Megatron or Galvatron?

Starscream - The Decepticons still engage in ludicrous plans to obtain energy, but they are foiled much more quickly due to Starscream's rashness and cowardice. Eventually Starscream abandons the Decepticons, as he did the Combaticons, and does something stupid in a solo venture that gets himself killed.

Cyclonus - The Decepticons conquer Cybertron. No really.

Scorponok - The Predacons don't really do ANYTHING, as Scorponok seems to lack the not only the intelligence or competance to lead, but also the ambition to do anything that he isn't told to do. Leadership most likely seized by Blackarachnia or Tarantulus.

Tarantulus - BW Megatron's second SIC. Would most likely divert all his newly acquired resources to killing all Cybertronians and the Vok

Sky-Byte - Poetry jam.

As I am unfamiliar with the Unicron Trilogy, and Animated Megs lacks a second due to the ousting of Starscream, I'll end my own speculations here.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I don't see Starscream doing any worse than Megatron. And given his general ability to spot that Megatron's plans are retarded, they might do better.

Cyclonus would just lead the 'Cons in attempting to resurrect Galvatron.

3. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

I like to think that Cyclonus is a little better in that regard than, say, Lugnut

4. Optimus Sledge

Going on the cartoon, I saw no sign of that.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think "Webworld" put Cyc at least a half-step above the typical yes-man second.

6. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Yeah I agree with that. Lugnut is just a sycophant...Cyclonus actually is devoted to the Decepticon cause with all his will...he's so devoted to Galvatron because Galvatron, to Cyclonus, represents that best of all the Decepticons, and the best chance of glory. There are some instances in the G1 cartoon where Cyclonus actually disobeys Galvatron all in the name of the greater advancement/betterment of the overall Decepticon cause...Webworld comes foremost to mind, but there are a few other examples. And when he disobeys Galvatron, it's never for his own personal advancement...in fact it's usually to his detriment. So yeah Cyclonus is definitely a huge cut above all the other lackeys/yes-men

7. Optimus Sledge

I'm not saying he's dumb (although based on that episode...). I'm saying I don't see him leading an attack on Cybertron rather than wasting all the 'Cons resources on Galvatron. Y'know, like he did in FFoD.

8. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Yeah I don't know if he'd take cybertron...Cyclonus is a capable tactician but there's no indication that he's a good strategist....but he's a hell of a lot better than starscream.

but i agree with you...cyclonus would probably see Galvatron as having a better chance of ensuring Decepticon victory than he himself (i.e., cyclonus) would...so he would devote all energies to getting galvatron back.

I could see Shockwave doing it.....esp marvel shockwave

9. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

definately shockwave

the guy was one wickid cool badaas mofo mamajama in his own right

10. Optimus Sledge

I think the great irony is that Cyclonus would probably be a far better leader than Galvatron, the problem is he doesn't realise it.

11. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

But...but...but... without Megatron, who would constantly yell "Decepticons retreeeeeeeeeeeeeat!"??????

12. Optimus Sledge

Soundwave did an alright job in Roll For It. :tongue: 

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm sure Starscream could give it the old college try, he might even be good at it.

14. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

He's like Ultra-Magnus to Rodimus....

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I got to agree with that.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Other things to consider if the second in command took over is do they have the skills needed to keep the Decepticons or Predicons together as a group, or would the group break up into subfactions because they will not follow the new leader.

Also is the new leader a bot that can hold on to power long enough to make a dent in the war or would they be quickly stabbed in the back and replaced by their own second in command.

Cyclonus seemed like a bot who could hold the other bots together under his banner, but the other would be leaders just didn't seem like the types who could hold the faction together or who could hold on to power. Starscream has always been too much about himself and not about the cause so I could see him with either an energon knife in his back or the leader of only a handful of less than impressive lackies. Sort of the robot version of the Venture Brothers Monarch.

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Cyclonus - Leads the quest for a key to restoring Galvatron, realizes the war is stupid, and then disbands the Decepticon forces

Shockwave - Conquers Cybertron, and then, with his purpose accomplished, and nothing logical left for him to do, goes offline

Soundwave - Has nobody to listen to or kissup too, so he and his cassettes disappear...

Scorponok - Is stepped on by Devastator during a brief moment in his headmaster robot form.

Starscream - Forms a false alliance with the Autobots, kills all their important leaders, finds an ultimate source of power, and proceeds to set off an extinction level event, killing all remaining TFs on Cybertron. Drifts through time and space as a ghost.

18. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Astrotrain & Blitzwing-See Triple Takeover
    BW Inferno-Probably wouldn't know what to do

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There's a reason Megatron is leader. I think without him or an equally strong leader, the Decepticons would collapse into a disorganised rabble / splinter factions making it easier for the ultimate Autobot victory.

With that in mind:

Starscream: Lacking the respect of many of the other Decepticons, eventually finds himself the victim of another Decepticon's plot to seize power. Eventually returns having acquired a faction loyal to him, but in-fighting by this time has allowed the Autobots to neutralize many of the Decepticons.

Soundwave: In spite of not having many friends due to his uncharismatic personality, proves to be a solid leader. However, his personality drives many Decepticons to stronger leaders, ultimately making his forces weaker if far stronger tactically.

Shockwave: Cold logic produces great results, although his habit of treating troops as expendable ultimately weakens his support. Eventually finds a more logical choice for leader and retreats into the shadows as a power behind the throne.

Cyclonus: Preaches "what would Galvatron do" and excites the Decepticons, holding them together against the odds. The Decepticons remain a threat under him, although eventually become demotivated due to Cyclonus' lack of ability to strike the kind of fear into his followers that Galvatron could.

Scorponok: Check out Headmasters or the later comics, he pretty much already did the job.

Overlord: Check out Masterforce. Decepticon family values hit a new high under his able leadership.

Scorponok (BW): For all his talk and bluster, never manages to do anything. Predacons soon find themselves under the leadership of...

Tarantulas: Does his own thing, abandons his troops when they are of no further use. Proves to be as effective alone. With him out of the picture, leadership falls to...

Terrorsaur: About as effective as G1 Starscream on his worst day. In the end the Predacons somehow end up following the leadership of...

Waspinator: Wazzzzpinator hazzz big planzzzz! Predaconzzzz ATTTTTAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!
    (The Predacons are shortly defeated, except for Tarantulas and Blackarachnia who slipped away somewhere between Scorponok and Terrorsaur's stints as leader)

RiD: Sky Byte and Scourge end up leading their respective teams. One is a mild annoyance, the other a major threat without a proper leader to guide them (though Scourge is nothing to be underestimated). More or less business as usual for the Autobots, just with less Predacon attacks.

Armada Starscream: Leads a more honorable brigade of Decepticons, adhering strongly to the Decepticon code. Decepticons are weaker for the loss of Megatron, and some Decepticons are less cooperative with Starscream.

Armada Thrust: Talks a good battle, but goes to pieces when his plans are all undone.

Energon anyone: Without Megatron to guide them, they are useless. Except Scorponok and Alpha Q who are free to follow their own plans without obstruction from the Decepticons.

Cybertron: Starscream seizes command and follows through on his plans. Is ultimately victorious without Megatron to oppose him.

The general point is, without Megatron, there is nobody to intimidate the Decepticons into obeying, of whom the simple mention of the name conjures up fear of his punishment for disension or failure. Without Megatron the Decepticons lack a strong leader.

In fact, the Universe 2.0 toys makes this fact clear in Prowl's bio - something has happened to remove Megatron and scatter the Decepticons, and they have degenerated into little more than roaming bands of thugs until Galvatron comes onto the scene.

That pretty much says it all.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    in cybertron by the end of series Thunderblast became the new leader of the New Decepticon army and end up on Mars.

Lugnut would try to revive Megatron no matter the cost.

If Shockwave led he'd be supreme ruler....Marvel/IDW/DW Shockwave FTW!!!!!