What would be repetitive to you if the Transformers film series was rebooted?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Jan 8, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

What would be repetitive to you if the Transformers film series was rebooted?

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Probably that it'd be a core team of 5 with three of the slots having Prime, Bumblebee, and Ratchet like the last 3 iterations were.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Except this time it will have those three and Bulkhead and Prowl/Arcee like the last two TV series have had.

4. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

These.

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Also, Megatron's rise AGAIN.

6. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    "We are autonomous robotic organisms from the planet Cybertron..."

7. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Bumblebee.

8. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    So very much this. I cringed when I heard this in Prime.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "One shall rise, one shall fall"
    "It's just you and me now, Megatron"
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
    "We are autonomous robotic organisms... blah blah blah... Autobots"

Another beeping mute Bumblebee

The Prime & Bumblebee Show guest starring 3 other bots - one of which will of course be either Ironhide or Ratchet

10. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I friggen need Bumblebee to speak. If I have to tolerate another movie, then I will not see it in theaters unless Bumblebee talks. That's the end of that.

That and I will flip my shit if another Autobot dies.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Everything.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Decepticons being pathethically weak.
    Mute Bumblebee.
    Using the same big bads like The Fallen and/or Sentinel Prime.
    The Allspark being a mcGuffin plot device deux es machina.
    Making the hero protagonist a spaz wannabe douchebag.
    Killing Megatron in the first film and reviving him the second film.
    The Humans Milatary killing Decepticons.
    Optimus Prime taking faces.

13. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    The two highlighted quotes are Optimus Prime's catchphrases. You can't really call established catchphrases "repetitive", because being repeated is what makes them catchphrases in the first place. Also, it's "One shall stand, one shall fall".

I partially agree with the Bumblebee the thing, but personally, I think the whole "being mute" thing is probably the best thing that's ever happened for his character. Whenever he's able to talk (i.e. G1, Animated, etc.) he's usually kind of annoying. Especially in Animated.
    Really, Hot Rod works better as "the young, reckless warrior who must mature to realize his potential". Muting Bumblebee not only works to separate the two characters, personality-wise, but it also makes Bumblebee seem a little wiser.
    Also, since Bumblebee has been mute in both the uber-successful movies (which defined TF for a whole new generation) and what might be the best Transformers television series ever made (Transformers: Prime), I doubt his muteness will be going away any time soon (save for maybe Fall of Cybertron).

The one point that I fully agree on is the "five-man-team format" thing. The one thing that I really miss about G1 is how Optimus was literally the commander of an entire army and knew each of his soldiers by name. The Autobots to star in each episode shuffled around frequently and allowed for even-distribution of character development. This not only mixed things up a bit, so we didn't have to always watch the same characters, but it also added scale to the Autobot-Decepticon War.
    Nowadays, the "War" usually consists of 5 Autobots versus a whole-effin' legion of Decepticons. Which really isn't a war at all. Why not have more regular characters to broaden the scale of the battles?

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not true. They were each cool sounding one-liners that fans liked and held onto, but they were never repeated. They got turned into annoying catchphrases because of the excessive repetition long afterward. "Autobots, transform and roll out" - THAT was a catchphrase.

Yeah I know, I typed the wrong thing for some reason.

15. dirgestone

dirgestone Banned

I would like to the next Movie to reboot from the start. Like Megatron and Prime are still friends and ruling Cybertron. Megatron discovers the Earth and wants to ensalve us. THAT begins a war. Just a different take on the war. The whole Million year war seems kinda crazy to me

16. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    You realize you literally just said "They weren't catchphrases. They were one-liners that were never repeated. They got turned into catchphrases because they got repeated", right...? :lol 

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" is literally Optimus's catchphrase printed on his original toy bio. "One shall stand, one shall fall" has been repeated throughout the various series (by only Optimus) enough times that it can now be considered one of his catchphrases. Whether they're annoying to you or not, they're still catchphrases.

17. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I hate to agree with Incepticon, but he's right. Between the films, WFC, and TFP, the line "One shall stand, one shall fall." has become repetitive. We need a brake from it.

18. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Megatron being revived again. We get that he's a staple in the franchise but yeah, there's numerous other high-ranking Decepticons out there. I for one think Shockwave could be resurrected because we don't know if his spark was totally obliterated from that punch. And to me, this would make up for him being a red herring in DOTM.

19. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    I'm not sure it's the line itself that's the issue (it's a great line and one of my favorites), but rather its execution. It felt really forced in TFP (I cringed when he said it), and I think it was only used in trailer of WFC. Hell, it really doesn't even flow in the original animated movie, when you watch it again.

I think that the first live-action movie was the only time, that I can recall off of the top of my head, in which the line felt like it really belonged in the scene.

Agreed. And if Megatron is such a staple, they should really stop killing him. If they know they're gonna make multiple movies, for God's sake, it's okay to keep Megatron alive at movie's end.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've survived so many reboots of so many things I don't have the repetitive problem that some people seem to suffer from. I have no idea how many times I've heard about the death of Batman's parents it's just part of being a Batman fan that you will have to hear it again.

Even under the basic story idea like Autobots come to Earth you've got a lot of room for different ideas on how to do it. You could have the Autobots crash long ago like G1, the movies had them come down without a ship, you could have the ship land somewhere, or you could just leave it a mystery like how Transformers Prime hasn't told us how they got to Earth.