Customs: what would be a good method to make real smokestacks on Classic/Henkei Optimus/Convoy

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by trence5, Apr 19, 2011.

1. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Look I've never bashed, kitbashed, modded or anything like but I'd like to get into so I'll just take some baby steps. Can anyone suggest a good, simplest method any of you can think of, for making smokestacks for Classics/Henkei Optimus? Sorry, it just things protruding out of giant robots, ala Gundam or whatever mecha you think, look so kick-ass to me and one the nuance decor that I like on Optimus was the smokestacks sitting on or behind his shoulder. The ones that turn into his gun just look plain atrocious on such a kick-ass figure that I think something has to be done:banghead: 
    any suggestions are appreciated(working my way to getting the courage to try to make a faceplate for my D.I.A. commander's :rock )

2. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i used g1 smokestacks and glued on some magnets. looks like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm pretty happy with Classics Optimus Prime as is. However, if you want to still go about this, there are a number of different ways. You can post the stacks on his back (but you said you didn't like those). hailstarscream has a pretty cool solution here as well :thumb 

Have you used the search function in Customs? Also, have you looked through the Customs Gallery for ideas?

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/277408-classics-optimus-prime-wip-updated-2-9-11-a-4.html

Scroll about halfway down that page and you'll see what I did for my Classics Prime and his smokestacks. My pal Ninos (WheelJack) sent me a couple of the iGear smokestacks to use. Originally, I had built some out of tube styrene and had them built so you slide them in and out of the upper arm when he would transform to bot mode. But once Ninos sent those, I figured a better way to do them without the need to remove them.

I took some square styrene tubing and glued it down the center of the shoulder (as you see in the pics in the link above). I cut off the small connectors that were on the iGear Prime stacks and glued on a small piece of round tube styrene. I made sure the piece could slide into the square tubing and rotate inside of it. Now, when he transforms from bot to alt mode, you just rotate them up and it's good to go. I've since gone back and added two smaller square styrene rods to the sides of the square tubing to help bulk it up and have it mesh better with the arms and shoulders. I'll have to snap some new pics soon.

5. hailstarscream

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for nothin hXcpunk23. since now i like yours better, i have to go and change mine as well:confused2  jk:lol . but i do like yours.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Search cashanova in the radicons section he made a kit you could buy from shapeways

7. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

wow thanx alot folks.... I will definitely be searching through these posts.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    LOL! Well, to be honest, I love what you did to your Prime! Is it still transformable or more like a display piece? Either way, it looks really G1. You should post it up in Radicons and share it. I'd like to see more on it, man.

9. Megatron31

Ebay:
    I want to know where he got that ion blaster for prime

10. hailstarscream

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks. and yeah it's a display piece. i posted him a while back but never updated him. guess i'll get on that
    that is part of Cashanova's smokestack set. it is absolute freaking wicked. i love the set

11. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i was considering scratchbuilding primes weapon but after seeing that, i think its worth it to buy from him again