What would a TRU in China have that I'd want? (my dad's calling me at 1am from one!)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Here's a bit of an emergency post, my dad's in China right now and has learned of a Toys R Us in the city he's in, he's going to go there at 1pm China time today (1am EST) but he's not going to be able to describe what's there very well, I can't send him pictures before then, and I'm not sure what they'd have that should be a sure grab...

Anyone been to a TRU in China recently or otherwise in the know-how (i.e. for prices for what I list here)?
    BTW I'm only interested in Transformers.

My ideas thus far:

MP-05 Masterpiece Megatron
    Binaltech/Alternators Ravage and Rumble

What else?
    Thanks.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    how caught up are you with current releases?

if the SEA markets any indicator, theyd have alt ravage, cls devastator. the rest ive seen pop up already stateside.

dont have a lot of HK/china posters here. might wanna try tfans tho.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Megs isn't out for a few weeks yet, so you may as well cross him off the list. Ravage and Rumble are possibilities though.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Do they sell KO WSTs?

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dont think even TRU china is that lax.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess it depends first were he's at in China. Hong Kong I know has quite a bit actually in stores but as for the mainland I have not the faintest idea though I'd suspect you might want to try a run at Alt Ravage and Rumble.

7. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Alt Rumble and Ravage hands down. Hope he finds them for you.

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks for the feedback thusfar, I'm talking mainland China BTQ. MP megs isn't out yet there eh?

Classics devi is out?

Would MP starscream be on clearance there at this point?

As for KOs, it's a TRU, not a back alley, so even though it's in China I don't think they'd be selling fakes.

Here's the TRU China website, can't find a TF section on it yet though (any help? Does TRU china stock Takara/Transformers?)
    http://www.toysrus.com.hk/china/

9. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

He can't just read off the names on the boxes? As far as Transformers you'll still want/need are concerned, the ones most likely to be there are various Hasbro exclusives (CL Devastator, Soundwave) or Masterpieces, which do have at least some obvious English on the packaging. In other words, the ones you're already interested in finding.

What would be interesting, but doubtful, is if any of the packaged movie toys would already be found in stores. Definitely going to be interesting to hear what TRUs in China stock, if you can get a list or any idea of what's there!

10. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I'm thinking they're going to basically just have knockoffs and *maybe* some older toys from the last 2 or 3 years that TRU imported from America. I don't think China has gotten any officially released Transformers in an extremely long time, perhaps since Beast Wars, and even then it was just the American toys with the Chinese logo stickered over the American logo. And, yes, China's knockoff problem is so bad you'd probably find KOs in TRU.

I think part of China's awful knockoff problem is that American companies aren't releasing their products inside China (because of the awful knockoff problem; it's a cycle; I meant to ask a Chinese lawyer about this a week or two ago, but didn't get a chance to.)

As for stuff like KO WSTs, those are relatively small runs sold directly to collectors; I'm pretty sure they're not the sort of thing sold to kids at Chinese TRUs. Similarly, I think stuff like Rumble and Ravage appearing on Ebay from Chinese sellers are just coming from Chinese sellers who have contacts at the factories.

Edit--actually, maybe there are Hasbro-imported Transformers toys in China. Note the chinese Toys R Us logo on the banner at this expo...
    http://www.tfclub.com/sinotron/2006/200607200001.shtml

Sorry to be a downer :-/ If I were you, I'd tell your dad to buy you some freaking huge knockoffs :) 

11. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Interesting. Well if they have nothing you warning of it will only cushion the disappointment. KOs (unless its swoop g1 or something) such as the combiners are useless as they are packaged so bulkily (big rectangles) and you can get them for minimal prices here anyways.
    Keep the info coming and I'll let everyone know what went down after I talk to him in the store at 1am.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They may have the TFC #6 Megatron. That is if your dad want's to chance it on the flight back.

13. Paradigm-Shift Prime

hahaha funny but true. Wouldn't look very good in the xray machine would it?

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

So no rumble and ravage and no japanese/takara stuff but my kindly dad managed to find for me over the phone:

classics devastator !!
    comm. soundwave
    a couple of small gundams

They had lots of cybertron stuff and some armada even, tons of soundwaves and devis, only alt was silverstreak, only 6" tit was optimus prime, had all the classics...

15. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Damn, had to go all the way to China to find Soundwave.

16. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice, at least you got some cool stuff.

17. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Cool Dad man :thumb  can he bring an extra Classics Devi for me?

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well if he isn't at the TRU in HK, then I take it he's in Shanghai? That one just opened recently I believe.

I'm pretty sure HK and Shanghai are the only two cities in China with a TRU.

As for what they carry, they most likely wouldn't have KO's. Any TFs they have most likely would've been released here already as far as Classics go.

Alternators are hard to come by. When I was in Shanghai I could barely find any. And if I did, they were all OOOLLLDDD. They MIGHT have some Takara stuff but I wouldn't hold my breath.

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Umm. Is that giant Cybertron Prime fully functional as a toy?

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    he shall call him...chinese soundwave.