What would a live action Transformers film have been like in the 80's?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ezim93, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was watching some trailers for the old teenage mutant ninja turtle movies and I began to think of what a live action transformers film would've been like in the 80's. It would obviously be very animatronic heavy. Would it have featured good ol Spike Witwicky or would it be a new story with new characters? Would the voice cast of the show reprise their roles as the transformers or would they have gotten some A-List actors in order to attract a broader audience? I know it's kind of irrelevant but it would be very interesting to say the least. Let me know what you guys think.

2. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Crap. It wouldn't have been anything like the amazing movies we got.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think it would probably be exactly like TMNT: A movie that doesn't take its own concept seriously, its just there to mess around, make jokes, bring some slapstick.

That could be cool, but I think the movie's major good trait is that it managed to take its own concept seriously, giant transforming robots are a ridiculous concept by itself, I think the movieverse's greatest accomplishment was to translate it into the big screen without being laughable.

4. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The CGI would've sucked.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Although there's no way to know for sure, this kind of experiment is fascinating. :D  There's many factors to consider in this kind of thing; from director to writers to cast to rating.

My guess is that if it was made in the '80's, it would probably be very G1 based (because, well, there was practically nothing else Transformers-related at the time, more or less). Combining some famous celebs for cast/voice cast, but also getting a couple G1 VAs in there for the fans. Unless it was Spielberg (who would try to make it both fun and serious), it would probably end up one of two ways: R-rated, dark and violent (Terminator, Alien) or more likely light, comedic, slapstick stuff (Innerspace, TMNT).

As an FX-driven fan, I'll argue from the FX standpoint. Yes, very animatronic heavy. Stan Winston Studios would've been contacted to handle a good 50% of the effects, mostly to do with full-scale animatronics. Tippett Studio and/or ILM would've been hired to do miniature work and go-motion animation for wide-shots of the characters in robot mode (think RoboCop). Optical compositing with the go-motion would've been the extent of any "CGI". But the characters would probably spend a lot of time in vehicle mode due to budgetary constraints, leaving the full-on robot battles/wide-shots to an absolute minimum. Overall, the robots would probably be seen a lot less than the movies now-a-days, leaving a lot of it to the audience's imagination, a la Jaws and Jurassic Park. Relying on editing, musical scores and clever cinematography to help give these characters a presence. And honestly, even the FX depends on when exactly in the '80's it was made. 1981 was very different than 1989 in terms of filmmaking. 1981 "CGI" consisted of the occasional computer-aided composite and computer-aided go-motion animation. 1989 was the beginning of the big CGI boom.

6. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I...dunno about that; on that kind of scale, animatronics even back then would have been prohibitively expensive, either to develop or operate (or both), and sufficiently enough to reduce their screen time to mere seconds, anyway - Spielberg himself would know this from experience. There might have been some for close-ups, but any wider shots I can imagine would likely have been stop-motion, or, if the makers were so desperate, possibly guys in plastic suits on miniature sets (kind of the way Lucas originally wanted to do the Rancor, as "a really cool Godzilla", in Phil Tippett's own words before they had to resort to using a hand puppet).

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Stop motion animation - that might have been interesting to see what ILM might have ome up with back in the 80's taking that approach.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The video clip below is from Hikari Sentai Maskman, an 1987 tokusatsu series. It features Galaxy, who is a giant transforming robot.

MASK MAN galaxy robo henshin - YouTube

Look, ma - no CGI whatsoever! And it looks pretty decent, too!

9. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I was wondering this too. I think it would've been ridiculously cheesy.

10. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Dudes in robot costumes.

11. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    All these people slamming it down immediately, please keep in mind that it wouldn't have to be CGI. Stop-motion could work pretty well, but with the guarantee that there would be humans in it, bad green screen would ruin a lot of scenes.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You know, I wonder if I'm the only one who looks at things like the video clip I posted, and doesn't at all think 'cheesy'. Not one iota. Quite on the contrary, the thoughts going through my mind are along the lines of: "That looks nice."

Am I too old-fashioned? Too forgiving? Totally nuts? Or have you people just been spoiled rotten by all the CGI that's been saturating movies of today?

13. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

Personally, I think Harryhausen style stop-motion effects look way more real than any cgi today.

14. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    Haha! That is so cheesy it's awesome!

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    When I was growing up, that stop-motion was the standard. My favorite stop-motion movie would have to have been the original Clash of the Titans - especially Medusa. As a 9-yr old kid in the theater in 1981, I totally bought the effects. Granted I can go back and see it now and it's nowhere near the level of today's CGI - but, I'll admit I do enjoy stop motion animation done well. Especially by Ray Harryhausen.

16. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    For it's time, it would have been mindblowing. But now, it does look kind of outdated.

17. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I think it would look like some Power Ranger thing, but I honestly would not think it is a good idea. I think all of the Transformers would look so stupid and would not be able to fight very well.

18. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    In the 80's.....there were no CGI.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It would have made the roger corman fantastic four movie look like the godfather.

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    'kind of'?!! :lol 

I actually grew up in that era (i.e. I wasnt a baby/born in the 80s but rewatch em on youtube n claim i remember watching this as a kid :lol  ) i lold at imagining a michael bay working with those effects :lol  theyre ok for tv movies but if u stack that up with late 80s popular movies youd have kill the franchise.

For instance, i love the last starfighter as much as the next guy but im glad we didnt go that route.

For something to thrive it has to meet popular/contemporary accepted standards. Good for you that u have different standards. But dont expect the brand to be well receive when your discerning taste is in the minority.

Disclaimer: i have a bias against men in rubber suit genre. Just the start of that with the lil guys scurrying in the kaijus shadow had me rolling :lol