What will happen to movie style?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jolt Customs, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Jolt Customs

Jolt Customs Seacon

Forgive me if i have already posted this, but
    After the DOTM toy line do you think Hasbro will be done with movie styled figures?

or do you think they will make toys that they couldn't fit into the earlier lines like leader class blackout and bonecrusher?

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally don't think DOTM will be the last live-action TF movie, so no, I don't think they'll be done. They'll continue.

Whether Michael Bay is involved or not, the live action movies will continue as they're just so damn profitable. And with a "main cast" that are CGI, you don't have to worry too much about cast negotiations affecting the future, or the need to reboot etc etc. Sure, Shia is the star, but I guarantee people would still go and see a TF movie without him.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    micheal bay has gone from i dont want anymore transformers to im thinking about it basicly from the giant artacal on the front page

i think if the movies we will see the movie style stick around but move back to more g1 characters cause to be honest they are easeir for them to make

4. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

Please no!!:( 

Please yeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!:drool: 

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It depends on what you regard as 'movie style' I suppose. Some people think Seaspray and Tomahawk, for example, are in the same style as movie figures, wheras others may disagree.

I think what the LAMs have done for the overall aesthetics of Transformers toys in general is open up a massive amount of new possibilities. Before 2007, we would never have dreamed we'd see some of the figures we now regard as commonplace.

I think the future is very bright for TF figures, mainly down to the fact that as toy-buying fans, we will have more choice of styles than at any point in the last 25 years. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is mostly attributable to the live action movies.

6. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Cheap plastic, sharp points, fanged faces, lack of paint applications.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not a fan of the movie style so I won't be upset if it disappears. I know some do though so you have my sympathy.

Chances are it will just fade away. It's left its mark but the hardcore versions of it will diminish.

8. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

Hopefully it'll get buried, or at least the parts of it that suck so much will get buried. I'm talking about insect faces, spindly alien porportions, poor paint apps, etc...realistic alt-modes are fine with me.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ Gotta agree with poor paint apps, but surely the "insect faces, spindly alien proportions..." are all subjective, since Transformers are not from Earth anyway?

10. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I sure hope so. Hate movie style.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Can I just ask all the posters in this thread who are expressing their dislike for the movie style, what do they think of figures like leader Prime, or HA Jazz?

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm a huge fan of the movieverse and even I want the movie style to disappear for at least 5+ years.

Let's end this part of Transformers lore with a bang (as in DOTM) and then move on to other things i.e. expanded Generations, Prime, etc.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the crazier elements of the movie style will be gone. I don't think we will be seeing any more unicycle bots, extra sets of eyes, backward knees, or the other elements that don't have a basically human shape. The skeletal look might be gone as well to go back to the armored look.

But some elements are likely going to remain. The little detail bits in the robot mode are likely something that would stick around.

Even if we do get another live action film down the road I doubt they are going to look like the movie robots do now. A different creative team will want to do their own thing rather than being slaves to what Bay's team did. I can also see where Hasbro would push for a different look so they sell figures to people who are already burned out on the characters in their current movie form. Even the studio suits are likely to push for a new look so they can sell as something new and improved.

14. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

A lot of the design elements used on the toys will be incorporated i feel into other lines, like the detailing and stuff. Personally I hope they keep doing movies haha. But i feel the movie figures designs gave a jumpstart on the future development of transformers. It would have happened eventually, but I def feel the movies helped with revitalizing the franchise.

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Indeed, we're not talking about like/dislike movie style.

It's moreso about the progress of toy engineering which
    the movies brought - even though mech tech makes me scratch my head atm.

Either way, there will probably be more TF fiction which will cater to movie style designs and engineering.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    It will be smoothed out and called TF: Prime.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think it depends largely on what happens next. If the movie series continues, with or without Michael Bay's hyperactive 12-year-old direction, we'll definitely see this aesthetic continue. Prime alone will carry at least some of the common movie design elements for quite some time to come. It may gradually fade out in favor of a more classic blocky design, but the movies have left a pretty indelible mark on what people think Transformers look like.

At this point I think the only thing that could quickly and completely depose the movie aesthetic is if the films get some kind of reboot with a totally different design style. If that happens the new aesthetic would quickly take over and the Bay style would get abandoned (assuming the new movies are as successful).

Personally, I do hope that something new comes along and becomes the dominant aesthetic for Transformers. I pretty much completely hate the overly spiky and insectoid looks of the Bay Transformers and would be more than happy to never see them again - especially the movie take on Bumblebee. Still, I honestly don't see it happening anytime soon, especially with Prime basing its look on the movies. But hey, so long as there's Classics giving me a non-movie alternative I'm happy.

It's been over three years and they're both dead (twice in Blackout's case). It is NEVER happening. Give up already.

18. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I'm sure there will still be movie styled figures mixed into the mist like how we have Classics and Movie figures in Reveal the Shield right now.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I personally hope that the "movie style" will never go away, as I absolutely heart the Movie-verse (it's what made me the fan I am today).

20. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Poor paint apps pre-date the movie toys, they were evident on the Classics in 2006.