What will be your opinion in a couple years?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Noisemaze2006, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Summer of 2007 in review

Now that it's all over, what's your final opinion of the 2007 movie & toy line? Taking into consideration every detail, from the way the cons got no screen time to the ridiculous toy drought. How all the main characters came out in wave one & now all we're getting are repaints to how majority of the human characters were pointless & did nothing but take away screen time from the bots. In a couple years when you look back at 2007 what are you gonna say?

I ask this because I loved Star Wars episode 1 back when it came out but I tried to watch it the other day & couldn't. I got up to the part where Jar Jar takes them to see Boss Nass & I had to shut it off. It's just unwatchable crap. So I was thinking, what am I gonna say about the Transformers movie & toy line in a few years? How do you think you'll look back on it all?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Given that I missed out on the popularity of the original franchise in the 80's because I was too young, Ill be glad that I took part in this era of the Transformers. Regarding the movie, Ill be glad that one of the last of my childhood favorites was brought to life in a live action film; whatever the designs or the screen time was for these characters was, fact is I could not have done any better. The only disappointing part will be that regarding the toy drought. The merchandise of this era will never appeciate in value (financially/emotionally) as the G1 merchandise did because of the over saturation of said merchandise, the increased breeding of scalpers and the negativity of those G1 loyalists.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not really sure, lol. It's hard to tell what will happen in the comming years. I do think that I'll still be a fan of TF's, and probably still collectiong to boot :thumb .

4. redline928

redline928 06/26/09

I know what you are saying, the movie rocked and I enjoyed more than any other movie in recent years. But I was online for a whole year looking to get more info about the movie before it came out. I never did that before. Looking back there is some things I didnt care for but I dont count. I would actually say in two years before TF2 comes out I will probably still be watching the hell out of it. As for my collection, I am a little disappointed in some of the toys compared to the 80's. The movie Prime especially. But as long as they keep some new toys coming in the next 2 yrs to keep me going and interested (besides annimated), we should be in good shape

5. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Interesting topic and one that I have been thinking about myself.

In regards to comparing this to the Episode I, I think that is way off base no offense. Star Wars: TPM had very poor pacing, editing, dialogue and acting from the very begining. Not once did I laugh, cheer, or become emotionally attach to any character in the Phantom Menace, little annie included. The acting was so stiff and wooden how could you? I saw Episode I 3 times in the theater and each time it got worst. The only thing worth watching in that whole movie was the saber fight between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan and Qui-gon. But to be fair, the art in Episode I is still amazing! It's almost like Lucas made the movie to spite the dieharders and not only that didn't even seem to care about bringing in new Star Wars fans...

Transformers The Movie, on the other hand, while it won't win any academy awards in acting, was FAR superior in terms of the script, pacing, and dialogue. I laughed throughout the movie, got extremely excited each time I watched the Autobots first arrive (I saw the movie 4 times), grinned when the Decepticons were introduced, there were lots of little moments throughout the movie that made me smile. The writers were very self aware and were able to deliver a movie that I thought should appeal to both the diehard fan AND the casual movie goer. And I actually cared what happened to Bumblebee and Jazz (although there could have been more done in Jazz's case).

So in review...Tranformers vs. Star Wars Episode I

Sam Witwicky > Little Anakin Skywalker
    Megatron > Darth Maul
    Optimus Prime > Yoda
    Frenzy >> Jar Jar
    Mikaela > Queen Amidala
    Sam's Parents > Qui-gon and Annie's mom
    TF script > Episode I script

All that being said I'm sure I will still enjoy Transformers years from now regardless if anyone else will still like it. I liked it too much the first go around to suddenly stop liking it. Funny thing is I still watch Star Wars Episode I as bad as it is because I still enjoy the entire STar Wars saga so TF will not be an acception. It will be watched over and over :) 

6. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    In a few years, I'll still feel as I do about it now. Freaking awesome. Of course, in a few years the excitement will start all over again with a sequel.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Probably the same as I do now: love it in spite of it's problems since they're awesome CGI Transformers, and I'll still hate bitchy fanboys who can't pull their heads out of their ass.

Oh and even as weak as the TF script was it's STILL poetry compared to the shit that was the Star Wars prequels.

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

What he said.

As is, if I like something when I first see it, my opinion usually doesn't change too drastically over the years. There's a reason I'm still a fan of the same things now that i was of way back when.

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'll get back to you in a couple of years. ;) 

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In some ways I'm still excited over the Transformers 1986 Movie so I'm sure 20 years from now fans will still be chatting about Transformers 2007! :D 

11. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I'm talking about the entire experience. For example this is what I'm gonna look back at / remember:

1. The movie was good but could have been so much better with less humans & more bots.
    2. IMAX has added footage which is pretty lame because not everybody can see it in IMAX.
    3. The whole HD vs. Blue Ray thing
    4. Toy line had 5 bots, 7 cons, they all came out in wave 1 & after that they dragged it out with repaints & a ton of repackaged exclusives.
    5. Toy line was loaded with role play & crap like Real Gear & T.E.C.H. that didn't sell
    6. No personality for any of the Cons in the movie
    7. A lot of drama & unprofessional behavior from Michael Bay & Don Murphy on the boards..
    8. The toy drought! This will be the main thing that most of us remember
    8. I got screwed out of seeing the movie in IMAX because although there are 2 theaters close enough, neither was playing it.
    9. All the stores did a big toy dept.reset & everybody was hoping the shelves would be stocked but the drought continued.
    10. That stupid ass Mountain Dew contest where some people got 3 Pepsi Primes sent to them while others got NOTHING!
    11. Bay is ON TF2, now he's OFF TF2, now he's back ON TF2, now he's OFF again etc.
    12. Hasbro & the Stores totally underestimated the demand for the toys.
    13. Now just a few weeks away from the DVD release, they're not sure what the hell is gonna be on the dvd. They're reporting that it may have 10 deleted scenes but maybe only in certain countries. Total confusion!

Nobody knows what the hell is going on! This is how it's been all summer long. Constant speculation & rumors. Remember how nobody even knew if they won that Mountain Dew contest & others didn't know that they had to keep their Yahoo registration updated in order to receive a prize.

If I had to rate the whole experience I'd give it about a 3 out of 10. It's been one big unorganized mess since the beginning. It was so nice during Energon,Cybertron & Classics. A new wave every couple weeks, no problem finding the figures. The only complaint I had was Cartoon Network & their crappy scheduling. But after Classics it all went to hell. Although I liked the movie, when I look back at 2007, overall it's been pretty crappy & a huge disappointment from my point of view.

So that's what I'm asking, how would you rate the entire experience you had this past summer? Factor everything into it.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Overall, I'd have to rate this year so far at being a 7 out of 10. Yes there has been a lot of confusion, but, that's what has made this year fun so far. The movie was awesome, and I personally have no complaints about it. As for Imax, I don't personally care for Imax, so I wasn't worreid about not seeing 5 extra minutes of film. The HD & Blue-ray debate also doesn't matter to me as I own neither platforms. I personally have stuck with regular DVD's. The drought has just made hunting for toys fun in my opinion. As for the toyline itself, i think it's pretty good all together. It's got something for everybody, even the little kids. I personally think that some people take some of this stuff way too personal. It's not like not seeing an extra 5 minutes, or not getting that one peticular toy the minute it comes out actually matters to real life.

Does that answer your question? :thumb 

13. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

In a few years I won't be thinking about Transformers: The Movie. I've essentially already done my utmost to put the piece of excrement out of my mind.

14. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I'd go 9 out of 10. The only thing stopping it from being 10 out of 10, is the toy drought. It wasn't that big of a deal for me though, and actually enjoyed the break I got from toy hunting.

15. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    I am wondering if anyone here will apply for a meaningful and risk taking job at Hasbro to make a difference in/for 2009 for us (mainly) before the movie toys even go into production. The things that we fans complaint the most and the issue never ever got resolved is the toy drought... but indeed it was "their" Hasbro's strategy trying to sell toys across all lines when they can't make that much. (Of course that was one of their risks, too)... I figured when I saw a reality case where a little child couldn't find his "bumbumbee" deluxe at the store; his mom will settle for his desire on the ultimate bumblebee... even though the little child thought that ultimate bumbelbee cannot be transformed That sucks. If Hasbro only focuses to make what being sold the best; (they 'd probably make few lines of productions instead of what we have seen today) and we probably didn't have to hunt down toys at stores for last 2 months without satisfaction.

16. KanedaX

KanedaX Twitchy Triggerbot

Ebay:
    I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. Shia did a great job with the humor, and some of the action sequences were fantastic.

I think a lot of it will depend on how the sequel turns out, whether we see TF1 as a great introduction piece or just the high point of a decent series.

The toys have blown me out of the water, though. When they first started showing them, I wasn't expecting a lot. Was planning to get most of them on clearance. However, with a few exceptions (Bonecrusher, Megatron, the first Bumblebee) they've been fantastic, creative toys. In some cases (Ratchet, Ops, Arcee) they're some of the best to ever be released.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think it'll still be awesome.

18. Autobot HipHop

The toy drought brings the whole experience down for me. Wasting time, gas, money etc trying to hunt down a $9.99 deluxe figure ain't cool. But, I guess there were advantages to the drought, it made me look at other figures I probably wouldn't have bothered to pick up had it been so easy to get every figure. And all the figures I ended up getting have all been bad ass. (Leader Megatron is one of my all time fave figs, he just looks like he'll kick Prime's @$$).

Movie = 9.0
    Toys = 9.0
    Toy Drought = 5.0

Overall TF'07 Experience = 7.5

(Overall Star Wars Episode I experience = 2.5)

19. Autobot HipHop

damned double post, curse you lucas!!!

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    "hehe those haters. what a buncha dumbasses."