What will be the Wii's biggest seller this year?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, May 25, 2007.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Nintendo has the following potentially huge sellers coming out this year. Who do you think will end up selling the most (during the consoles lifespan, if not this calendar year)?

Brain Age Academy: Wii Degree - The ultimate casual gamer game, BA has been absolutely huge on the DS. If that carries over...

Pokemon Battle Revolution - Diamond and Pearl tore up the charts, so this companion piece should do the same.

Mario Party 8 - Depite tepid reviews, all the other installments in the series have done fine. Mario Party 8 seems to be the one franchise best posititioned to exploit the success of "WiiSports/WiiPlay" gamers.

Metroid Prime Corruption - Classic series, and probably the best looking game on the Wii this year. Sales tend to be soft in Japan, though.

Mario Galaxy - Mario Sunshine, which disapointed many, sold well on an underperforming console. The new Mario Bros did brilliantly on the DS, gamers are more excited for Galaxy than they ever were for Sunshine, and the Wii is outperforming all expectations. Could be a perfect storm...

Super Smash Brothers Brawl - Melee was the all-time best seller on the Cube. Brawl takes that formula, adds third party characters and online play. Sounds like a winning recipe to me.

Other - Sometimes the games on no ones radar sneaks in and suprises everyone (Guitar Hero, for example).

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    SSB. Talk to anybody who bought a Wii, that thing sold the system.

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

As long as it makes it out in 07, Smash Brothers without a doubt.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm going to take a long shot and say Brain Age Academy: Wii Degree.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'll say Metroid, as I've never played SSB, and have no interest in it.

EDIT: I didn't buy my Wii to play SSB, that's for sure.

6. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I'm going to say SSB or Metroid

7. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    SSB, without a doubt. I'm waiting for Metroid, but we all know it's gonna be SSB

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Smash Brothers -although I am more excited for Metroid.

9. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Smash Bros! I hope I can find a Wii in time for it.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have no doubt SMG will do very well too, though.

11. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Smash Brothers Brawl is going to knock out the competition.

12. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

SSBB followed closely by Super Mario Galaxy and Metrod Prime 3 Corruption.

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Smash Brothers for sure. MAYBE Guitar Hero if they figure out some way to do something really awesome with the Wiimote (think strapping it to the guitar and sensing movement and awarding points for style as well as proficiency, just as a starter idea) that makes the Wii version stand out versus the others.

But most likely Smash Brothers.

A real Pokemon game would crush everything, but Nintendo continues to stubbornly insist on making cheapo barely-games for the franchise on consoles. So while they're fairly successful, they won't come close to SSB until they do a proper RPG style console Pokemon.

14. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

*raises hand*

I didn't buy a Wii for SSB.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

With most of the public, I believe it was actually Wii Sports that sold the system.

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I agree. Honestly, out of all these games, I kind of just want a revamped and fleshed out Wii Sports with online capability. I've rented Tiger Woods, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball, and Cooking Mama. I played them for a little bit, then went back to Wii Sports to try and beat my top bowling score.

17. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Smash Brothers Brawl ftw. Melee is the best selling Gamecube game and if Sonic is in Brawl I just don't see anything else coming close.

I don't care much for GH but that idea sounds cool. As for Pokémon, if Nintendo would drop the whole Stadium/Colosseum formula and go with a true RPG like you said it would sell a million easily. They could just use the Pokémon from the first three generations that aren't so easy or impossible to catch in Diamond and Pearl. You would think Nintendo would have realized that by now.

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I bought a Wii. I have no interest in the SSB franchise.

There goes that theory :p 

19. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brawl, Galaxy, and Super Paper Mario.

20. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

While I have an interest in SSBB, it wasn't the reason I bought a Wii. It had far more to do with Zelda, Mario, and the Nintendo brand in general. As for others, I'm not sure how important WiiSports was - there's a discrepency of about 2 million sales of the Wii vs WiiSports (7 million vs 5 million), so its hard to say how successful it would have been had it not been bundled.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't heard any definitive breakdowns for the Wii in terms of hard core/traditional/casual gamers and the Wii. It could be we are overestimating their impact.

I think it pertinent to check the 1,000,000 sells for the GCN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_selling_computer_and_video_games#Nintendo_GameCube

Metroid Prime sold just 1.5 million, and Metroid Prime Echoes didn't even make the list. Metroid Fusion only hit 1.2 on the GBA, and Hunters doesn't make it on the DS chart. This may mean Metroid doesn't have the broad appeal we think it deserves.

4 intallments of Mario Party are there (2 of them beating MP1). I am a little suprised that Pokemon didn't do better (about 1.2 each), but perhaps the online capability will boost its chances.

Mario Sunshine, for all the bitching, sold over 5.5 million, and SSBM was the top selling title with 6 (nearly twice the sales of the 3rd place Wind Waker). So I think those two are the automatic contenders for 1st place, though again the "casual gamer" could throw a monkey wrench.

( I want to point out that all these numbers are pitiful compared to the N64, which no longer looks like such a failure).

Other things that are worth considering:

New Super Mario Bros - 9.5 mi on the DS
    Brain Age - 8.5 mil
    Brain Age 2 - 4.2 mil in Japan only
    Big Brain Academy - 2 mil
    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 6.9 mil (already closing in on 2 mil in the US)

I think real wild cards here are Mario Strikers (which did break 1 mil on the GCN, and now has online play), Resident Evil 4 (released at a bargain price),

With casual gamers (if they are that big a factor), games like EA Playground or Carnival Games could also end up being suprise hits.

I think the one with the biggest break out potential might be Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, simply because it can appeal to both the WiiSports group as well as traditional gamers. Of course the game has to not suck like all the other olympic games.

However, when all is said and done, I'll go with the safe bet and say Smash Bros, simply because of the appeal of online multiplayer. The prior installments, just one copy per group of friends might have been enough, but now they'll all need to get one if they want to play online. That may only give a small sales boost, but it doesn't really need much help to stay on top.