What were your thoughts about the lack of articulation in G1 toys as a kid in the 80s

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Murasame, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I remember that I thought it would be cooler if they were more posable, especially when some of them had problems pointing their gun directly to the enemy and not always in the same way as they usually could because of the limited articulation in some figures.

But I thought it was probably because the toy had to change into a vehicle and found that cool enough that this reason was good enough for me as a kid. And figures like Masters of the Universe had not much posability either, so I figured it was quite normal. Even MASK figures only had more articulation regarding their knees. But I was amazed of the posability of Actionforce figures or Marshall Bravestarr *g*

What were your thoughts as a kid or did it not matter for you?

2. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It didn't matter to me back then. The idea that something could turn into a robot and something else was cool enough for me. If I wanted articulation I played with my GI Joes :D 

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yep. Plus, their lack of articulation was arguably worked in their favor because it made em easier to play with & transform, and I dunno. G1 was G1. :D 

4. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Even as a kid, I was disappointed. Sure, the wonder of opening Optimus Prime was a memorable thing, but the legs were a let down. I used to like to actually play with the figures, and he couldn't sit. Not fun.
    Then there were most of the cars with their fused legs, Ratchet/Ironhide that barely resembled anything, and Devastator that was a non-articulated parts-forming mess.
    When Jetfire came out, it reinvigorated my interest in the figures. HE could actually move and was a lot more playable then the rest. That alone encouraged me to get more of the toys, because if one disappointed me, I could always play with Jetfire.

5. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't even know what parts-forming was when I was a kid :)  The only fig I didn't like was those Ratchets/Iron Hide, just because they looked so bad as bots.

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    It wasn't a factor back then. I only collected TFs and He-Man back then, and even they only had head, shoulder, waist, and leg articulation. Hell, Battle Cat and Panthor were solid pieces of plastic and they were still awesome. As jbz said, just the fact that they could transform was awesome enough. Bring out Omega Supreme and Triple Changers...pure, unadulterated brilliance.

7. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Hun-grrr was one of my favourite transformer toys as a kid.
    That was mainly because his (for the time) awesome leg articulation!
    He just needs ball-jointed shoulders in robot mode and he would even have acceptable articulation by todays standards in my opinion.

8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Didn't care.

9. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

so long as there was some shoulder articulation i could overlook it.

10. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

The only thing that ever bugged me about G1 articulation was Optimus Prime's gun, or at least how he held it. Looked ridiculous.

11. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I was more impress with the styling of the box and box's art work than the toy itself!

12. AMG

AMG Old School

I didn't care about articulation as a kid, and I still don't today.

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    When I found my Sandstorm, who interestingly still looks like if I had opened his box yesterday and not in the 80s, I still found him amazing, though he has these puny arms =)

14. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I grew up during G2, so I had toys of very differing levels of articulation. I had Sideswipe, but I also had Hooligan. In the end, articulation wasn't a priority then. Heck, sometimes I liked toys that transformed faster more because they would be easier to make up stories with.

On the other hand, most of the toys I had were small because I never had much money. So I had loads of combiner limbs, minibots and go-bots with minimal movement.

15. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

The simple transformations more than made up for the lack of articulation. I always thought of it like this, every part that moves is articulation..... so even G1 had more articulation than almost every other type of figure (you just couldn't pose them).

I will admit to being spoiled now though. Back in '02 I was pretty disapointed with Armada Megatron's legs. It just felt wrong not being able to pose him. But, given time to get use to it I could do with more 'brick' transformers if'n they were G1 looking.

Masterpeice is where it's at. Everything I loved about G1, and everything I wanted G1 to be as a kid. Kiss my ass 12 year old me.

16. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    I was so in love with the cartoon, face sculpts and vehicle modes - I simply did not even think about the articulation

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Didn't think about the lack of articulation simply because it wasn't a factor. Nothing had great articulation back then. Wasn't until the early 90's that we got a "Super-Poseable" Spider-Man (with a whole 14 points of articulation!).

Back when I was a kid, knees were a luxury.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this

19. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Ditto

Even though Fastlane, All my Constructicons, 25th Anniv. Optimus Prime, Air Raid, PowerMaster Optimus Prime, Grapple, Runamuck, and Motormaster have little Articulation, They're still pretty cool for being older than I am.
    (Yes, I omitted Galactic Man and Book Collection Perceptor, They have great articulation)

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, almost nothing had articulation back then, or much of it at least. I was happy to have a robot tha turned into a robot, most of all, and one with missiles and removable weapons and so forth.