what were the reactions to the hulk and xmen 3 movies?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ckhtiger, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I just got done watching these for the first time. a roommate who's moving out had 'em, and I figured I might as well give them a try.

I actually liked the hulk movie. the way it was filmed was interesting, and I thought the acting was well done. it wasn't rush right out and purchase it good, but I thought it was a lot better than the panning that I remember it getting when it came out. I must say, though, that I know NOTHING about the comic origin/storyline of the hulk, and all I had ever done was watch the tv show with lou ferrigno as a kid.

x3 on the other hand, yeesh. it was like they picked someone to make a movie that would possibly piss off as many x men fans as possible in one fell swoop. I've read the comics here and there, and used to be a big fan of the cartoon way back in the day. I thought the acting and actual story were ok, and that it would've worked if all that ever existed was the movie series. but with the fact that there's still an ongoing comic book, it just didn't make any sense at all to me why they would actually kill off what might be considered the three main characters. I just didn't get it.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, I'm sure there was a lot said about these movies when they came out, but I couldn't find any threads about em. I'd just like to hear what actual comic fans had to say about the flics.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I couldn't stand Hulk. There was no bomb, no Rick Jones, and the multi-screen thing was just stupid in my opinion. And he didn't talk, except for that dream scene. The dual origin thing was also weird, was it his own experimentation or his dad's that changed him? The dogs (while in one of the issues) were silly too. I am looking forward to the new movie.

X3 proves that Brett Ratner should never have anything to do with comic movies. Bryan Singer should have stuck around to finish the trilogy instead of going off to make Superman Returns. What he did for X-Men was to make an intelligent adaptation of the comic, I don't think it worked as well for Superman.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I’m 50/50 on the Hulk. Fro every cool part that I got into there was an equal amount of time I was horribly board.

X3 like all the X-Men movies I found watchable but lacking. Like there was a much cooler movie just out of reach.

4. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I liked the Hulk and thought it was pretty good. CGI Hulk made many people upset but that's the ONLY way to do him justice based on his size in the comics. It seemed obvious that his dad's experiments put the building blocks into him but his gamma radiation experiment accident accelerated the mutation. I suspect that given enough time he would have become the Hulk anyway. I thought making his dad the bad guy was kinda weak and there really wasn't a good enough 'bad guy' like Magneto or Lex Luthor. I also didn't really care for some of the 'comic' camera angles. Overall I liked it and have the movie on DVD. I look forward to seeing the Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton and Liv Taylor next summer even though it's not a sequel of sorts.

X-Men 3 should have been longer hands down. Under 2 hours was a joke and I especially didn't like the small amount of characters they focused on. The final battle was good but it just wasn't played out well enough. What I also didn't like was that there was NO characterization of Angel. He's on the damn movie poster in X-Men attire and he gets a couple minutes of screen time and really isn't part of the X-Men team! I know it leaves it open for a forth but I don't really feel they should do it unless Singer and most of the cast comes back.

5. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

From what my friend told me, the DVD commentary of X3 with Ratner is infuriating. There are deleted scenes of longer fights and other cool stuff, which Rat-fink says in his commentary were cut because they were too long. All 13 extra seconds of it. Not that the effects weren't done (because they were finished) or that they didn't have the budget. And there's a scene of an ending for one of the X-men that he says was filmed a certain way because of how he thought things should end with that character, but that fans of the series should just ignore and watch the deleted scene ending instead. Everything was filmed and finished, it was just his judgment call whether or not to put certain things in. And he made the bad calls most of the way through. Moron.

One other quick Rat-bash: in Rush Hour 1's special features, Rat so doesn't understand Jackie Chan's action choreography (never mind that JC had made several more action movies than Brat did at that point) that after JC explains several times in English and demonstrates what he's going to do in kicking a gun out of an opponent's hand, Ratty finally says, "Oh. So you're going to kick the gun." Dumb@$$!!!

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Ratner is a joke and the nail in the coffin for the X-Men movie franchise. See you in 10 years!

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I have made a personal commitment to never see X3 so long as I live. I used to be a huge X-Men fan and still really enjoy the books, even if there's considerably better stuff out there. So I know that I would absolutely hate the movie and I'm not going to waste an hour-and-a-half of my life just to prove it.

8. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    With the first two X-Men movies, Singer did a great job with the characterization and adapting it from the comics. Everything was rather believable and for an actiom movie actually pulled you in emotionally. X-3 had none of that. Sure the same cast was there, but the focus went to pretty much Wolverine & Storm. They really botched a lot of the characterizations. Phoenix being a result of schizophrenia, Xavier being ripped to shreds, Juggernaut a mutant?!? You had a feeling this movie wasn't all there when you saw Wolverine disappear into the mist and then you see a flying 'sentinel' head. While Sentinels have always been part of the comic continuity, they just seemed completely out of place in the movie franchise. Even if it was just a Danger Room scenario.

As for Hulk, I give them points for creativity and trying to do something original. They just lose it in execution of the story.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

See to me X3 really isn't that bad of an action flick. Yes it has plot holes, but what movie doesn't. Juggernaut being made a mutant is understandable given the context of the film. Wtf did fans expect? A whole scene describing the true Jugs origin?Hell, that is a movie in itself. How else are they going to do Dark Phoenix but make it an aspect of her mind? I know lets bring in the Shiar! Yeah that would have gone over well with the general public. Did anyone really expect the focus to be on anyone but Hugh Jackman and Halle Belle? They were the movies biggest stars, and the whole draw for seeing the film.

X3 more so than Transformers is the perfect example of fan's sense of entitlement. The movie worked for what it was, and to expect more from it was just fucking stupidity on our part. Yes, it had its problem, but that movie made a shit load of money and certainly did not kill the X-men franchise.

10. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Quoted for truth.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I didn't like Hulk. The only thing good about it was casting Jennifer Connoly as Betty.

I loved X-Men 3. As a long time fan of the X-Men I enjoyed the wrap up to the trilogy and so did the guys I talked to at the comics shop that night. We all agreed that it was pretty good and the naysayers were just nitpickers. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of Cyclops, but the actor wasn't available so what are you going to do? Beast was great. Kitty was great. Dark Phoenix was great. Storm had a bigger part. Wolverine got to take the lead (which given that Cyke wasn't around worked for me that he had to be the one to stop Jean). Magneto and Xavier were awesome as ever. And they finally got Angel in the trilogy. Iceman vs. Pyro finally. Rogue arc was a little disapointing, but beilevable. Um, unless you're a Cyke fan, what was not to like? The whole trilogy sits proudly in my DVD collection.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say "obvious". His dad did "something" to his genes. What did he do? We don't know and he didn't seem to have any effects from it -at least nothing onscreen.
    Four years later he still has no ill effects, but he has a son who also has this mystery condition that does nothing. So what does the dad do? He tries to kill his son with a knife but kills the mom instead. That was a good scene to watch with the kids!
    Thirty years later and dad still has nothing wrong with him, and his son has nothing wrong with him. But Bruce is working with gamma radiation and "nanomeds" so dad knows this is gonna be the thing he was worried about for three decades.
    (Right -"Oh noes, I have messed up my son's genes. If he ever grows up to be a doctor and works with radiation and nanomachines he will turn into a monster!")
    Gene manipulation + gamma radiation and possibly "nanomeds" = Savage Hulk for Bruce.
    Gene manipulation + gamma radiation and possibly "nanomeds" = Hulk Dogs for the puppies, but they are apparently not so savage that they don't obey commands.
    Gene manipulation + gamma radiation and possibly "nanomeds" = Absorbing Man for dad. Obvious, right?

I thought the CGI Hulk was awesome, but honestly, all they had to do was update the gamma bomb thing a little and then find reasons for him to turn into the Hulk.

X3 was too short, and it did leave some loose ends, but I still liked it. It fit in the context of what was established before and we finally got to see Magneto kick ass!

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

and here I thought some of the hulk movie might've been keeping with the origin of him...

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I really liked the Hulk movie. I thought the origin was smart in that there were a number of events that contributed to the monster being released. It really showed he was unique. The only problem I had with the movie was the ending. The whole absorbing man battle was hard to understand and it should have ended with his second capture.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hulk was a godawful mess.
    X-men was very good, even with the terrible Rogue origin.
    X-Men 2 was average at best (and pathetic if you'd ever read "God Loves, Man Kills").
    X-Men 3 was nothing short of laughable.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Hulk...meh
    X-Men...good i might say
    X2...meh, kept making me fall asleep
    X3...didnt even bother to watch it

i'm just happy that they stop doing movie tie-ins to the comics...when they changed Toad from hunchback to guy in leather that sucked...imagine they changed Juggernauts costume to the one in X3...

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hulk - Couldn't watch the whole thing. The writing wasn't that bad, but the "split screen" and various other effects designed to make it resemble a comic were really distracting.

- X-Men 1 - Boring. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan put in fine performances, but the rest was just awful. And the ending felt rather anti-climactic...I remember thinking "that's it?!" when the film ended.
    - X-Men 2 - Not as bad as the first one, but not a great movie by any stretch. My main complaint is that it should have been titled "Wolverine and the X-Men" given how much it focussed on Logan. However, there were also too many characters for it's own good, the plot was dull and it was too long. Between this film, the first one and Superman Returns, I honestly don't understand why people like Singer's work so much; I haven't seen a move of his yet that I'd rate above mediocre.
    - X-Men 3 - Best of the trilogy, though that's not saying much. I liked how they handled the Phoenix and Juggernaut, but it's a shame they effectively killed off Patrick Stewart (barring any cloning), who was one of the two good actors in this. The final battle was pretty good, except for Wolverine's uber healing factor. Still way too many characters and a couple of plot holes, but I thought it was far more entertaining than the other two. I'd put it about equal with Fantastic Four.

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Oh come on, Fraiser Craine was awesome as Beast.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Damn right.
    Unfortunately the movie wrapped around him was fucking awful.

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

lol, true